TLDR Warning, my Pod Go thoughts/conclusions, me and Helix as a relationship.

the swede

Shredder
So... After a few months of purging my soul, I jumped back on the horse with a PG.

This is a great unit. The size is perfect for all possible scenarios. Even though I'm just a home player I value the size aspect. More well built than one would initially think. The UI is great, much better than Stomp. Number of switches and expression along with modes, snapshots and tactile functions makes it very intuitive and easy to use. By far I think this is best "Just plug in and play your damn guitar" unit Line 6 has under the Helix era. It definitively inspires without getting tangled up in twisting knobs and menus. Setting up a preset is so quick.

I even succeeded in some nasty freeze/Hold weird assignments:
by taking off the wah from the pedal,
turning wah mix to 0%,
assigning the level of the wah block to the pedal
This will turn the Wah block to a level/volume pedal
So now we have two Volume.
Now we can assign nr 1 to a Reverb or delay feedback, swell it in, have it run away, press the toe, over to nr 2 and you still can swell while things run in the background. Bingo.

All in all, I should be 100% happy and I basically don't need more. The "package" is perfect in theory.
I won't go into the cons I've found as they are pretty silly and mostly referring to my preferences of how I like to do things/play.

Problem is I want more :rofl

Ive used the Stomp for several years, mostly at home. And it's a great box everyone should have (even if it's in a drawer for a while). Problem with me and Stomp is that we don't get along where we want each other.
For a while it's on its own, fine.
Then its on a pedalboard with a bunch of stuff (the best place for a stomp).
Then its on its own but with a switch device and expression pedal and power supply (almost as pricey as an LT)

I can do what I want with a Stomp.

So, conclusion is that I'm floating around in the Helix world, trying to land somewhere. I started with a LT, back when I was playing in a band setting. That was glorious.... I miss that. Miss that box. But at home, not so much.

Honestly between you guys and me, the problem is more home related. I want to be in the living room, in the middle of everything so to say (kids, wife, laundry, kitchen). We had a room in the basement that was kinda setup like a "studio" but honestly I didn't like having everything down there. And I didn't like carrying stuff up and down (Stomp, guitar, computer, cable, headphones). And I hated being down there. Now its a training room for the whole family, with we all need anyway.

Today it struck me, now that the boys have their own rooms upstairs (was an empty attic just until last year) we are doing a guest room from their old room.
Maybe if I could sit there, I could feel better being "in the middle" and still have a fixed spot for guitar playing. This idea led me back into the possibility that maybe I should get a LT again.... maybe that's the right solution.

It took me a week to realize Pod Go is super great but won't do what I want. But at least I've tried it.
The easiest (and economical) way out of this mess is to get a new Stomp, I know it like it was my own body and I get a very long way with just the Stomp and an Expression pedal. And stand up to my own words, that its silly and downright idiotic not to have a Stomp if one likes Line 6 Helix.

I know there is the Stomp XL, but to me a XL with expression pedal and a pretty management, is basically an LT (bought used maybe). It's a very thin line between that but a very large distance in dsp. We'll see where I end up. Its undecided.

Sorry for the mess I might have created inside of anyone reading all this crap.

I know there is the Stomp XL, but to me a XL with expression pedal and a pretty management, is basically an LT (bought used maybe). Its a very thin line between that but a very large distance in dsp.

Not sure this will help your GAS in any way, but, the Dunlop X Mini is a brilliant companion to the Stomp XL; those two are about as close as you can get to a "Helix Mini". I love mine.

If you really wanted a pedal pretty much all the time, at least personally I wouldn't go for a Stomp XL but for an LT instead. As you're saying yourself, the difference in horsepower is dramatic, whereas the difference in size (at least as soon as you add a pedal to the Stomp XL) IMO is managable, especially at home.

Our chief financial goal is to have everyone buy and sell every Helix/HX product XX times over.

Q: How many Helix/HX boxes has Line 6 sold?
DI: Hundreds of thousands.
Q: How many Helix/HX customers do you have?
DI: Around twelve.
Work related:
Reminds me about a talk I had with the people at Thermia Heatpumps (they make heat pumps, we install them).

There was this old man calling them up. He had one of the first Heatpumps out on the market.From back in the 80's.
Those had the evaporator part of the cooling circuit going outside, 18 lb of R22 refrigerant directly working with energy in bore hole. So apparently it still worked ok'ish, but he knew if it stops working there's no way anyone can repair it (not legally....).
So he call them up and goes like "This heat pump has worked so good and because I am very good customer, could you help me out with a deal on those new ones?"
The sales guy "Well.... we do appreciate that you've had that old heat pump working all these years and we are proud of it, but you may just be the absolute worst customer we have ever had".

Last edited:
Not sure this will help your GAS in any way, but, the Dunlop X Mini is a brilliant companion to the Stomp XL; those two are about as close as you can get to a "Helix Mini". I love mine.

Absolutely, it's really nice. I have a similar sized (Hotone) that's in a drawer. The Dunlop is way sexier though.

If you don't need the small size of the Stomp, I'd just go with the Helix LT. I get the size difference though, I went from Helix LT to Helix Floor to Stomp XL to Stomp. For me the Stomp was going to do double duty as pedalboard supplement and desktop (or amp top). But if you don't mind a little bigger than Pod Go then Helix LT makes a ton of sense.

Well that solves the home situation. I could see that as a training/health thing. Pack the LT, run up and down to the basement. :rofl

yep i do that twice or three times a week! heck of a lot easier since i started actually working out a few months back haha.

but really it is the best solution besides the floor. XL needs an exp pedal and i'm not sure i could fit everything in my main preset. pod go is kinda red headed step child lol. rack looks appealing but were not a touring band so thats not exactly needed now.

Knowing how you and me are similar in many regards, @the swede , the HX Stomp is the best thing for folks like us, who like to scale down and scale up for situations. At many times I feel like going minimalistic, HX Stomp off the pedalboard- done. Sometimes I get an itch 5o try out a pedal or two, back onto the pedalboard it goes. I grow with my HX Stomp, while other things around me may change and evolve.

Knowing how you and me are similar in many regards, @the swede , the HX Stomp is the best thing for folks like us, who like to scale down and scale up for situations. At many times I feel like going minimalistic, HX Stomp off the pedalboard- done. Sometimes I get an itch 5o try out a pedal or two, back onto the pedalboard it goes. I grow with my HX Stomp, while other things around me may change and evolve.

I do the same thing, sometimes I want to run just a couple pedals (like a drive pedal and delay), sometimes I run a drive, boost, and the Stomp, sometimes I run just the Stomp, etc. It's kind of a fun swappable rig.

Obviously; you need Stomp XL sized full blown Helix with built in expression pedal and iec power. Duh!

:rollsafe
The ideal would be that, yes :) Or two Stomps magically sharing their dsp with some crazy cable eliminating the extra run of converting back and forth.

I imagine future Line 6 high end modelers will be smaller, probably, while still keeping practical switch spacing (unlike some freshman manufacturers think they can get away with.... nipple twist switches and whatnot.....)
Buuuut, it won't happen before at least -25 (just my guess)
But after that (Helix 10 years) all bets are open imo.

Back