Helix 3.2 when?

general-forever.gif

They better up that oversampling rate again :knit:hmm I fired it up last night trying to set up a direct rig for Thursday's practice that didn't make me want to scream and I was not having any luck with the HX amps :oops:

I think besides the new cab technology they are going to move towards more original amps.
Maybe they can't afford to buy more expensive tube amps (which I doubt), or they are tired of appeasing the masses, or it takes too long to model real amps.

If I had to guess their new direction for 3.30 I would say more new cabs and more original amps.
Personally I prefer real amps, especially sought after amps like a 5150 III, Dumble and JCM800 (ahem), something I can look at the schematic and understand why it sound like it does, but I can understand people who like something entirely new with no real equivalent.

We shall see what 3.2 delivers and know what a big part of 3.3 will be too, as DI said.

From the way DI was talking, it sounds like there is some kind of new fundamental improvement besides just the anticipated cabs. I'm very curious to find out what it is. AFAIK he hasn't dropped any hints about it, other than to say he thought 3.2 would be Helix's biggest audio improvement to date (but wasn't clear if that was due to the new cabs or the new "something else.") :banana

It seems to take a while longer. He just posted on the „other“ forum that they are working on shortening the update time and that there are still plenty of bugs they need to address. CorOS 2.0 might actually win the race this time. :bag

The longer update time does sound quite worrisome.
If I know people, the moment the update bar stops moving for a few seconds is when people flick the power switch Off and On.

I also think we are going to see some tone matching capability, this is an effective way to stop the whine (for a while) of people who are unstatisfied current models.

For tone matching to be effective and accurate it has to have Pre and Post matching EQ/IR, and the process should be automatic like test signals and noises. Then again, the user has to select the closest amp model before tone matching.

With all the new Capturing devices/software on the market Line 6 has to adapt, imo.

I also think we are going to see some tone matching capability, this is an effective way to stop the whine (for a while) of people who are unstatisfied current models.

For tone matching to be effective and accurate it has to have Pre and Post matching EQ/IR, and the process should be automatic like test signals and noises. Then again, the user has to select the closest amp model before tone matching.

With all the new Capturing devices/software on the market Line 6 has to adapt, imo.
That would be pretty rad actually. That would be a somewhat novel implementation and could yield some really fun results. AFAIK no other profiling or "tonematching" implementation on the market currently does this. The AxeFX's is just a post matching EQ/IR, isn't it?

Personally, I don't see them doing this with this generation of devices.

Having owned a QC, I also now firmly believe that capturing/profiling is unlikely to be really popular with the mainstream due to the mostly static nature of captures/profiles, but also lethargy on the part of the average consumer of these devices.

Personally, I don't see them doing this with this generation of devices.

Having owned a QC, I also now firmly believe that capturing/profiling is unlikely to be really popular with the mainstream due to the mostly static nature of captures/profiles, but also lethargy on the part of the average consumer of these devices.
Yeah, you could indeed be right. The way James described would offer one unique advantage over the QC and Kemper capture methods though: the amp knobs would still behave like a real amp, instead of being a static capture.

The AxeFX's is just a post matching EQ/IR, isn't it?
I think it is only Post, but I'm not 100% sure.
Pre & Post matching has much closer 'feel' from my experience.

capturing/profiling is unlikely to be really popular with the mainstream
It's a whole 'nother huge topic.
In my opinion if the there is enough accurate models like on the AxeFx, there is zero need for Captures.
Tonematching can 'patch' some holes if the modeler lacks some revisions of amps or they are slightly off, like the JCM800 in the Helix.

the amp knobs would still behave like a real amp, instead of being a static capture.
Exactly.

Also, Line 6 doesn't do crowd appeasing unless we are very naggy about something, they usually find a bigger solution that covers several problems/complaints in one go. From what I've seen so far.

I don't know...I don't think a tone matching procedure, as much as simple it can be, is in the line6 philosophy

Do the Line 6 updates drop across the entire device range simultaneously, or trickle down from Helix to Stomp etc.

Back