Hawaii fires

Impermanence is a real motherfucker! My heart goes out to all who call any of the islands "Home,"
especially those with long and deep blood ties to the land itself. I can't imagine that level of
devastation. :(

EDIT: Changed title of song to "Let Love Be Our Song". Originally titled "Horror in Lahaina" but the new title is more reflective of the songs message.

As I was playing a set on August 10, 2023, the phrase "Horror In Lahaina" came to me. For those of you who do not know what Lahaina is, it is the town on the island of Maui that was destroyed by fire in the wee hours of Aug 9, 2023. When that phrase came to me, I stopped what I was playing and wrote this song. I then recorded it and here it is. I hope it helps some with the healing from this devastating event. Link, art and lyrics below! All positive vibes to the people of Hawaii and the dozens who have lost their lives and thousands who have lost many other things!!!

Let Love Be Our Song

LetLoveBeOurSong_2023Aug14_02_1200x1200.jpg

Let Love Be Our Song - Copyright August 10, 2023 - ANO Publishing, LLC - All Rights Reserved

It was a horror in Lahaina
8/9/23
Burnin' acres of aina
Scorchin' the banyan tree

Tears for years will roll
Forever askin' why a
This doom did here unfold

Send love to Lahaina
Patch the hearts that bleed
Show the world da kine a
People can truly lead

Believe in love Lahaina
Know that we are here
With our help and find a
Relief for our fears

8/9/23
Torchin' all of our minds of
What we never again will see

That horror in Lahaina
We must put out that flame
Dig deep and just try ta
Escape the cape of blame

Cuz only love Lahaina
Will let us true move on
Wrap your arms around Lahaina
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
With our arms around Lahaina
Let all fears be gone​

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about this til today -- so tragic.
Thinking of the ones that lost their lives and to all the devastated families that are now displaced.

One of the TV stations on Maui I sent my song to is going to use it in a video montage they are creating. I will post a link once that is available, but that could be weeks!!

My parents made it back from Maui on Friday. They spent several days in a hotel room without power, the hotel rationing food, up until they told everyone to get on a shuttle to either the airport or other emergency shelter.

Pops got word from a cop about the shelters filling up so they got in their rental and camped out in the lobby of another hotel and got bitten up by bedbugs and was sold false promises of an available room..

The story goes on terribly long about how employees of local establishents were turning tourists away in favor of the locals... Which I get, these people were losing everything vs tourists who have it all back home, but its a fucked situation for all involved.

He got the vibe that Live Aloha is truly dead and doesn't want to go back any time soon. I'm just glad they made it back.

My parents made it back from Maui on Friday. They spent several days in a hotel room without power, the hotel rationing food, up until they told everyone to get on a shuttle to either the airport or other emergency shelter.

Pops got word from a cop about the shelters filling up so they got in their rental and camped out in the lobby of another hotel and got bitten up by bedbugs and was sold false promises of an available room..

The story goes on terribly long about how employees of local establishents were turning tourists away in favor of the locals... Which I get, these people were losing everything vs tourists who have it all back home, but its a fucked situation for all involved.

He got the vibe that Live Aloha is truly dead and doesn't want to go back any time soon. I'm just glad they made it back.
Wow, that totally bites! As you said, good that your parents are home safe!! I have heard a lot of stories about robbery and looting, but had not heard much about what hotels are doing. What a scene! I hope love prevails!!!

Back