Have The Women/Men In Your Life Been Aligned With Your Musical Interests?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
My ex-wife was into C&W. I was not. I couldn't stand C&W due to it being the only music my father ever listened to, or would allow us to play on the radio while in the car, growing up, so it left a scar on me.

But Donna ended up being quite willing to bend my way, even going to see Dream Theater with me on the SFAM tour at the 930 Club in DC. On the drive there, she even became interested in the storylines behind the songs, and we had a great conversation about the whole thing.

At one point she comes back from the ladies room and said, "I think I passed one of the member's wives. Boy did she look 'hard'" I had to laugh.

But she used to come to many of my gigs, and was quite supportive of me during that time. Never complained about my practicing at home, or nights away rehearsing or gigging.

Then after my divorce, I tried to turn my gf Amber onto DT, and it just didn't resonate at all with her. Music just wasn't on her radar in general. (Her I-pod playlist was horrible!)
I remember her commenting on a DT concert video we tried to watch together, "It's like nothing but dudes in the audience! Why is that?" :rofl

How have your wives/husbands/so's been toward your involvement with music?

I don't think I've ever been in a relationship where there wasn't some degree of overlap in musical taste? And I haven't ever been in a relationship with anyone that wasn't at least moderately into music; went to shows before I came along; etc.

My wife has a bit of a musical theatre background. I've expanded my ability to go down that road and appreciate some of it more, but still am done well before we get to like Phantom of the Opera bullshit; make it through Les Mis but even that's a little bit of a stretch. Though I must admit my most recent all-day-every-day ear worm has been the below song from Waitress.

She's similar in that she's gone deeper down the Americana/roots/traditional music rabbit hole than she would have otherwise, but jumps off the train real fast once it's like Flatts and Scruggs territory. She's down with old-school Metallica; Testament and other trad. thrash stuff in doses; but wasn't about to go see BTBAM with me. Which honestly, is fine, because I just wanna lose myself in the music and not worry about whether the person I'm with is having a good time at a show like that.

I don't know if she's ever heard Dream Theatre, but she'd hate them as much as I do if she heard them :rofl

My wife plays guitar and piano, but she's a folkie - so we have almost no common musical ground. She understands and appreciates having time and space to practice. Unfortunately(?), we have an 18th century house that resonates like an acoustic guitar - so there's no place to play privately. I can play an unplugged electric downstairs and it's audible from every room in the house.

but still am done well before we get to like Phantom of the Opera bullshit; make it through Les Mis but even that's a little bit of a stretch.
Amber and I did go to see a rendition of the Nutcracker ballet, and I was digging about half of it, but I was also commenting on some stuff with her. But she must've been really into it, because at one point she 'shushed' me! :sofa

My wife is a classical pianist. most of our music tastes overlap. There’s no music I really dislike, so I tend to like all of the music she likes. There are some things I like that she doesn’t: country, some rock, prog, and old metal.

The things we enjoy most together are music theater, orchestral music, old jazz, ‘50s/‘60s R&B, and ‘80s pop

My wife doesn't play any instruments. Me being a guitar player is one thing she really liked about me when we met. She has been very supportive of my gear buying and gigging. She loves to go to the gigs with me and watch me play. She also helps me with identifying things that don't work that well on stage and refining my stage presence even after decades of watching me. She also helps pack things up at the end of the night so we can get home faster.

As far as music likes, we are similar. I like some harder rock than she does but for the most part we are both good listening to mostly the same music.

So second date was "wanna shit post on some gear forums together?!?!?" :rofl :rofl :rofl
1711059478291.png

I don't think I could be with someone where they didn't align, or we didn't have an interest in exploring each other's music.

The first night I had my ex-wife to a party at my place, she saw a Dream Theater DVD on the shelf and said "Oh my god, Mike Portnoy is my favorite drummer!" and I almost proposed right then. I knew she played drums in a hardcore/punk band, she was a 100% scene chick, but had no clue she actually knew about music outside that scene and honestly, she smoked me when it came to variety and actually knowing the music.

All my girlfriends/situations before her pretty much came as a result of my musical interests because I met them at our shows. :rofl Except one I met via my sister who loved Sevendust and Mudvayne and is actually a huge part of my life now, 20 years after we were together.

Last edited:
There's a reason I am single and never been married. This could be related to it. :unsure:

I really do love coming home to a quiet house after visiting my coupled friends
who are feuding over some kind of trivial BS. Or given that "Are you finished yet?"
glance. :facepalm

You hear that?? It was my huge sigh of relief against the backdrop of a ripping
guitar with no fucks to give. :rofl

My wife and I enjoy a lot of the '70s and '80s pop/rock/hard rock/heavy metal. My music tastes are much more broad and eclectic though so there's a lot she wouldn't enjoy as much. Basically, I can listen to everything she likes but she can't say the same. :grin

My wife likes a few bands that I don’t allow in the house. Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Journey, gun n roses. She doesn’t like Skinny Puppy or Slayer and a few others. Otherwise we’re good about listening to each other’s stuff.

Forgot to mention, my ex-wife walked down the aisle to the intro of A Change Of Seasons on a loop. She wouldn’t tell me what she was doing and since we already had Lamb Of God’s “Walk With Me In Hell” as our Mr. And Mrs. introduction song, I couldn’t fathom what she was going to do.

Fortunately, I can listen to those songs again without throwing up. :rofl

Back