Guitarists and Youtube

71E5A0CE-0180-4FCC-B2BD-3D7F36FE652B.jpeg

My wife pointed out to me that I've got videos with 20k views. That shit blows my mind but I have no desire to be an anylitics junkie like geartubers.

"LoOk At aLl oF teh vIewZ but Y u nO SubSkrIeb??"

YouTube is going to become my home for Do Something challenges because my SoundCloud account is almost full.

My wife pointed out to me that I've got videos with 20k views. That s**t blows my mind but I have no desire to be an anylitics junkie like geartubers.

"LoOk At aLl oF teh vIewZ but Y u nO SubSkrIeb??"

YouTube is going to become my home for Do Something challenges because my SoundCloud account is almost full.
I subscribed! 👍🏻

I don't mind channels that put out one video every Friday or once a month or something and it's good content.

But there's a lot of channels that put out way too much content all week long to the point I had to unsubscribe. YouTube Shorts is probably the worst thing to happen to the platform because it allows these Instagram type snippets that are 99% not particularly good content.

As an example, I unsubscribed from JHS Pedals. They make about 1 video a month which is fine, except they do a shit ton of shorts that are probably fun for a small "in-group" around them and just clutter for me.

I do not watch YT on my phone, it's either on a computer, smart TV or on a tablet. Which is a polar opposite to how the young people use it where they watch it on a bus etc. For me YT is not "scroll through stuff because I'm bored" but instead "watch a video because I'm interested in the subject."

YouTube Shorts
I use add-ons for Firefox like uBlock Origin, Unhook, BlockTube and Enhancer for Youtube, I removed any trace and existence of Shorts and customize everything I see on the internet.
I don't see the front page or any "For You", "People also Searched for" "Similar" results on Youtube search.
I obviously don't see any ads on any website and I manually remove brain poison that is not automatically removed by uBlock.

The vast majority of the internet is degeneracy and capitalism, I am grateful that I have the tools to control what is presented to me while I'm on it.

I enjoy some guitar content on YouTube, it is like all content these days though… a mile wide and a fraction of an inch deep. Really hard to find the good stuff but it is out there.

One of my favourite recent finds is a guy who fixes tube amps. Really fascinating and eye opening. I am more of a modelling guy myself, and it is one of the few YouTube channels that reduces GAS. I don’t want to deal with all those amp problems :-)

I want to see documented proof that “the algorithm” prioritizes open-mouth thumbnails. I think that excuse has just been tossed around the same way ‘shipping issues’ gets used as a get out of jail free card these days; it’s not impossible but it’s an easy excuse to dismiss negative attention.

Some kind of meeting must have been had at YouTube headquarters where someone actually said the words “We need to prioritize videos with thumbnails of people with their mouths open, go write it into the algorithm”. The only way I will believe that this is legit is if I hear the actual audio of someone at YouTube making that so, if not, I fully believe it’s just YouTubers following the herd.

Back