Gibson Les Paul fans??

A Gibson Custom Shop Alex Lifeson Signature Les Paul number is 147. Lifeson used this actual guitar when he and Geddy were inducted into GC's walk of fame & museum in Hollywood.

Ooh cool. I didn’t realize his had active pickups - I was thrown by the battery compartment.

I've had Les Pauls on and off for the last 25 years. First real guitar was a Gibson LP Studio, and I've had a LP Tribute for the last five.

I like them but don't love them. A good Les Paul sounds great in the bridge position, but 99% of the time it's too muddy/bassy in the neck. I've tried about everything from underwound pickups to treble bleeds to 50s wiring to dialing in a bright tone for the neck and turning the tone down on the bridge. On the flip side, my PRS is much more articulate with less harshness on the bridge and less low end on the neck. Sounds great with any pickups I throw in it.

Right now I've got a Dimarzio PAF Master neck pickup and PAF 36th bridge pickup combo with 525k pots, .015 cap on the neck and .022 cap on the bridge, and will add treble bleeds when I get more caps in (need to play with the values). It sounds pretty decent, although fat on the neck, bridge is a good all around rock tone.

I don't know what it would add that my other guitars don't however. My PRS CE-24 has Suhr Thornbuckers and does a better "Tele on steroids" thing, and my PRS S2 Standard has Duncans (59 Custom Hybrid bridge and Jazz neck) and I keep that in drop tuning and is better for heavy rock.

I've been experimenting with the Les Paul in open G tuning though for something different, and I dig that. I could work on slide with that too.

Pictures from when it was new, along with the crazy looking one piece back:

28396978257_e0bf8b2b31_b.jpg

42393326154_7751d52f7f_b.jpg

42393325394_6fc3eb4a94_b.jpg

Here's my Greco LPC and EC-1000T (full thickness):

and my Godin Summit CT, (mahogany body and neck, ebony fretboard, 24.75" scale, Duncan '59 bridge/Alnico II neck), it sounds eerily close to an actual LP:

I also have a Harley Benton I just got earlier this year, which feels, sounds, and plays nice, but I'm thinking I might want to put a '59 in the bridge.

I have longterm GAS for a wine red standard, or a dark cherry sunburst/iced tea burst standard, or a wine red custom (although I prefer a 60's neck). I would take any of those from a MIJ mfg.

Last edited:
Here's my Greco LPC and EC-1000T (full thickness):

and my Godin Summit CT, (mahogany body and neck, ebony fretboard, 24.75" scale, Duncan '59 bridge/Alnico II neck), it sounds eerily close to an actual LP:

I also have a Harley Benton I just got earlier this year, which feels, sounds, and plays nice, but I'm thinking I might want to put a '59 in the bridge.

I have longterm GAS for a wine red standard, or a dark cherry sunburst/iced tea burst standard, or a wine red custom (although I prefer a 60's neck). I would take any of those from a MIJ mfg.

As Nigel Tuffnel so rightly said "moar is always better" (y) (y) (y)

Nice collection you have there.

Back