Ghost does Maiden

Obviously, you could deduce from my previous comments that I enjoy quite a number of Ghost tracks.

I can totally understand why people don't enjoy them. I can see what @paisleywookiee is saying concerning BOC.

And yet for me, it's just pop music that's barely disguised with heavy guitars turned up in the mix, such that (I suppose) people might perceive Ghost as a rock group that doesn't do rock quite like they'd like to hear it (?)...

But really much of the structure of their songs is pure pop. And I love that. It's great pop (IMO). Maybe it's the Swedish connection, but I enjoy it in the much the same way I enjoy Abba - hell, Ghost has even covered Abba.

Last edited:
Me not dig. I never got it. But I understand the entertainment value around it all. Somehow though it feels like they went from something unique and original to… well… there’s money in combing unique with mainstream attention.

They make a huge deal about it here, awards and stuff, and the producers get hyped and whatnot.

In typical Swedish fashion after a few years you’ll see the main protagonist doing tv. Cooking shows, celebrity visits celebrity and talk on the porch yucky shows i want to puke on, discussion shows and generally those meaningless mainstream tv things.

There’s some Ghost tunes I really, really dig. I think there’s a part of me that’ll always throw a bone to the one-man-band guys like Wolf VH or Tobias, but both those dudes can also write a damn catchy chorus and that’s like an opiate for me. I didn’t get them for quite a while, but bit by bit I kept hearing ear worms that hooked me in.

This song is the one that really snagged me. Love everything about it. The intro reminds me of a Dream Theater song, I think I’m thinking of “The Glass Prison”.

Never could get on with these guys. Mostly the vocals...

Not a dig, but the singer is a one man band that hires studio musicians... which is why the music is always so tight.

Up until the newest album (not the covers album) it was all Tobias in the studio recording everything, for the last one he said he was a bit rusty with guitar playing so he had his live guitarist record the guitar parts. Live, yeah, it’s been hired guns once they started touring.

wait square hammer was a cover? That was the song that made me really like them, at least for one song. Didnt really like anything else from them yet

This song turned the tides for me. At least on a per song basis. That outro section is like a poppy in the perfect way Opeth riff and I f*****g love it \m/

Throw Up Stephen Colbert GIF by MOODMAN

There’s some Ghost tunes I really, really dig. I think there’s a part of me that’ll always throw a bone to the one-man-band guys like Wolf VH or Tobias, but both those dudes can also write a damn catchy chorus and that’s like an opiate for me. I didn’t get them for quite a while, but bit by bit I kept hearing ear worms that hooked me in.

This song is the one that really snagged me. Love everything about it. The intro reminds me of a Dream Theater song, I think I’m thinking of “The Glass Prison”.

Needs more cowbell.

One of the best bands around if you ask me. I love the Satanic schtick, enjoyable schlock. But they're a great band, and Tobias is a good singer. As ever, no accounting for taste!

One of the best bands around if you ask me. I love the Satanic schtick, enjoyable schlock. But they're a great band, and Tobias is a good singer. As ever, no accounting for taste!

Yeah, if a one man KISS tribute band for modern times is your thing, then sure. :beer

This was the other song I expected to be "good" and had heard good things. That "less processed" verse vocal shows why he is usually super effected in his vocal tracks. Chorus stands up good. It helps that it's not some sort of sacred text that he has to compare to

RIP

Back