Getting paid as a musician

Haha! Musicians don't get paid. WTF?? Famous and popular musicians who wrote iconic songs don't get
paid----so what makes a weekend warrior think he or she should get paid??

Seriously, just retire already, Bob. It is great here. :LOL:

Oh, and I made more gigging in the late 80's and early 90's relative to the cost of living (by a LARGE margin)
than I did in the 2000s or 2010s. It is even worse now.

The longer you stay in the game the worse it is going to get. No way one man, woman, or band is ever
going to beat back the tsunami of shit that is all the current trends in live music.

Truth hurts. Until we accept it is the truth. :beer

I hear ya but I'm gonna do it til I physically can't any more OR folks just stop coming to the gigs. The lack of pay wont make me stop.

well I can say here in my neck of the woods there are no bands and no bars/Venue that have live bands and even in Montreal they are far and few between, which was not always the case, in my youth Montreal was a music city so many bars had live bands
today diddly squat

:mad:

I think a lot if it depends on where you are regionally and how established you are. Here in Cleveland, our 6 pc makes at least $300 per guy per night, more if were not paying for our sound company. It's a country cover band that's been around for 10 yrs. My other 4 pc rock cover can get the same or more and has also been around a while. Both are established and typically draw well. Conversely, I know there's no way we'd make that kind of $$ in different regions.
I've been to Cali, NY and Nashville for gigs. It's hard to scrape that kind of $$ there not being established in those areas unless you have a good Tribute act and or management/booking agent backing.
That being said, I love playing so I'd probably still play for next to nothing.

Just my unsolicited opinion here. I’d be god damned if my skillset and talent will be given to some slob bar owner for nothing who is probably still going to act like he’s doing you the favor. I’d just as soon stay home. I don’t ask for much but if you can’t meet my minimum, you’re not worth my minimum.

well I can say here in my neck of the woods there are no bands and no bars/Venue that have live bands and even in Montreal they are far and few between, which was not always the case, in my youth Montreal was a music city so many bars had live bands
today diddly squat

:mad:

Yup. The landscape for live music has changed immensely in my adult lifetime. It's literally unrecognizable
now as compared to what it once was.

If it was once a verdant and fertile Forest, it now resembles something like a Desert. Good luck finding an
Oasis.

I am NOT giving up gigging, because the payoff for me is still worth it.

sissyp[hus.gif

Happy for those who continue to derive enjoyment out of the process.

I did, too. Until I didn't.

I bet I had a run of the last 3 years leading up to COVID where it became
increasingly less and less fun. Novelty is important to me, and I tire of
anything that becomes routine. Seems my soul starts to check out when
I do the same thing over and over for too long. And at my age there are
fewer and fewer guys and gals like me who want to do this. I am not going
to be 60 and wearing bedazzled jeans to try and retain some degree of hipness.
No fooking way! :LOL:

May the road rise to meet you guys on your way to the next gig. :beer

About six months ago, I was reminded by @Gearzilla of the reasons we play/create.

Doesn’t really have to do with anything external anymore for me. It’s all because I love to do it.

I thank this place and it’s members for inspiring me to jump back in 👍❤️🙏

Back