Getting motivated to clip again.

Please please please do themes for the next season @Iron1. Randomness is monotonous. Themes will make it more entertaining and interesting.

Randomness is monotonous.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I’m definitely interested to hear how that sounds. I’ve been uploading wavs to Dropbox for anything that I think is ‘important’ enough.
Ok, SoundClick.com will give you the lossless version of the file, if you purchase it from the artist and download it.

But no option to stream lossless audio files.

:confused:

Loooordy.....

I just remembered my Soundclick account name.

This is the first song I ever wrote/recorded while teaching myself Pro Tools in '07. I played the drums on V-Drums using one of the presets in the kit, I can't remember what the amp was but it sounds like fucking shit. :rofl It was either a 5150 or an XXX into a Mesa cab but damn. This was shortly after I started singing but was still really, really bad at it. And the screaming....phew. :barf

Does SoundClick have better quality clip hosting than SoundCloud ?

What I mean is.. is the clip audio quality better on any given audio clip hosting site than another ?

:unsure:

First off, ANY streaming is going to screw your sound. Digital files suck, transferring them over the internet makes them suck more. Hosting them on a website/server for download just adds extra suck to a recipe already over-suck'ed. Sort of like licking a salt-lick and wanting it to be less salty...

When I went down the "Soundcloud can suck my salt lick" hole I landed on Audius (that someone here recommended thankfully) as the best option for me. First and foremost, the sound quality is noticeably better - primarily from what I can tell because Audius doesn't compress all that's good and holy out of your track. I mean, who needs dynamic range, amirite?

If you really look at Soundcloud, they're very much built by/run by/aimed at the crappy-amatuer-wannabe-(insert hip hop subgenre of choice here) crowd. I.e. "musicians" making "music" on crappy laptops using ZERO tangible instruments and computer simulated notes, beats, tones, etc.

For example, Soundcloud has two categories for things that appeal to me "Rock" and "Metal". Now, you can easily go down the sub-genre rabbit hole and find dozens of subs for each genre. Soft rock, classic rock, hard rock, blah blah blah; heavy metal, thrash metal, speed metal, grind core, death metal blah blah blah. But they're all forced into Rock or Metal.

At last count they have 12 subgenres for things that have grown out of R&B. And, most of them are not Motown quality, or Speakeasy full, but laptop fake, thin, bogus-bass laden amateur rave party quality.

In those categories, the stuff is already compressed to death cause it's fake to begin with. May as well cater to AI created music...

Then you have the whole "Soundcloud identity crisis" thing. On one hand they think they're a hosting service for rising songwriters/bands. On another they pretend they're Pandora or Spotify, and on yet another they think they're Distrokid. Jack(off) of all trades, master(bater) of none...

In the end, I bet the whole thing is run by three or four post-teenagers who think they know everything about the history of music and try to force that narrow, 2d worldview on the rest of us while answering to some corporate pocketbook run by venture capitalists who just want money.

/OldManRant

Please please please do themes for the next season @Iron1. Randomness is monotonous. Themes will make it more entertaining and interesting.
This came up a lot early on and the majority voted against it, IIRC. However, if you go back and read the launch posts for each week, I did subtly add themes into each one without calling attention to them. Additionally, a few others created their own themes (@FuzzyAce comes to mind).

The idea was if we actually implemented a theme each week it might add another barrier for some that might prevent them from participating.

Personally, I'd love to see more "self-imposed" themes like Fuzzy and others have done, but only if it inspires instead of limits participation.

First off, ANY streaming is going to screw your sound. Digital files suck, transferring them over the internet makes them suck more. Hosting them on a website/server for download just adds extra suck to a recipe already over-suck'ed. Sort of like licking a salt-lick and wanting it to be less salty...

When I went down the "Soundcloud can suck my salt lick" hole I landed on Audius (that someone here recommended thankfully) as the best option for me. First and foremost, the sound quality is noticeably better - primarily from what I can tell because Audius doesn't compress all that's good and holy out of your track. I mean, who needs dynamic range, amirite?

If you really look at Soundcloud, they're very much built by/run by/aimed at the crappy-amatuer-wannabe-(insert hip hop subgenre of choice here) crowd. I.e. "musicians" making "music" on crappy laptops using ZERO tangible instruments and computer simulated notes, beats, tones, etc.

For example, Soundcloud has two categories for things that appeal to me "Rock" and "Metal". Now, you can easily go down the sub-genre rabbit hole and find dozens of subs for each genre. Soft rock, classic rock, hard rock, blah blah blah; heavy metal, thrash metal, speed metal, grind core, death metal blah blah blah. But they're all forced into Rock or Metal.

At last count they have 12 subgenres for things that have grown out of R&B. And, most of them are not Motown quality, or Speakeasy full, but laptop fake, thin, bogus-bass laden amateur rave party quality.

In those categories, the stuff is already compressed to death cause it's fake to begin with. May as well cater to AI created music...

Then you have the whole "Soundcloud identity crisis" thing. On one hand they think they're a hosting service for rising songwriters/bands. On another they pretend they're Pandora or Spotify, and on yet another they think they're Distrokid. Jack(off) of all trades, master(bater) of none...

In the end, I bet the whole thing is run by three or four post-teenagers who think they know everything about the history of music and try to force that narrow, 2d worldview on the rest of us while answering to some corporate pocketbook run by venture capitalists who just want money.

/OldManRant
Well sure, but tell us what you really think.

:unsure:

Data compression of streaming services can sorta be measured. Download (or capture) something you've uploaded yourself, line files up and normalize them, phase invert one and see what's left. The less you hear, the better the quality.
Confirmation bias is a strong thing.

/OldManRant

This came up a lot early on and the majority voted against it, IIRC. However, if you go back and read the launch posts for each week, I did subtly add themes into each one without calling attention to them. Additionally, a few others created their own themes (@FuzzyAce comes to mind).

The idea was if we actually implemented a theme each week it might add another barrier for some that might prevent them from participating.

Personally, I'd love to see more "self-imposed" themes like Fuzzy and others have done, but only if it inspires instead of limits participation.
Geez Iron, you make me feel dirty using Soundcloud now.:rofl

So I just paid the ransom fee for a free trial on SoundCloud to get the better audio… They’re still compressing the fuck out of stuff.

And it’s not like my tune wasn’t already just munched with compressors by me …. lol

Weird midrange push too

/OldManRant

I use it because it embeds easy :bag:sofa¯\_(ツ)_/¯:whistle

Loooordy.....

I just remembered my Soundclick account name.

This is the first song I ever wrote/recorded while teaching myself Pro Tools in '07. I played the drums on V-Drums using one of the presets in the kit, I can't remember what the amp was but it sounds like fucking shit. :rofl It was either a 5150 or an XXX into a Mesa cab but damn. This was shortly after I started singing but was still really, really bad at it. And the screaming....phew. :barf

"RIGHTS:" :oops: :rofl

Also; taking it back to the 128k :love

This is actually a great first go round \m/ You have that Ripper Owens thing in your voice.

Back