Getting a tone and a groove.

7xkh26.jpg

Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois would certainly seem to think so!

As do I, when we're talking about the groove of a single player/ instrument I think dynamics have a huge part to play in creating groove - the ghost notes and the emphases create tension and release just as much as timing discrepancies. I actually think a large part of timing "imperfection" comes from dynamics - that loud snare backbeat sits behind the groove partially because the drummer lifted his arm further, and the soft in between hits push for the opposite reason.

When we're talking about the groove of an ensemble, then it comes down to the push/pull and rhythmic tapestry created by multiple parts hanging together, and one element of the ensemble playing relentlessly in perfect time doesn't change that.

Well said. Very well said. :beer

I heard Some Like It Hot this morning, and thought about this thread. The timing of all those sax and keys fills and such are as tight as a knat's ass, and I'm quite certain the meter never wavers. But that song most assuredly has groove!

Fwiw, one thing to think about:
When you really want to "master" grooves, you need to be able to play in time very, very accurately. It's a prerequisite, no way around it.
This is why many people don't "master" grooves (and why some people also dismiss the importance of groove).
However, and that's as important: you don't need to be all that technically accurate to groove. You could as well just groove "by nature". Look at my last post and listen to Cedell Davis. IMO that's incredibly groovy. But it's not because he technically "transcended" timing or anything, it's just his nature. You could however bet he won't be able to play any metal riff, any funky pattern or whatever. Hence, he's not "mastering" groove.

What I'm saying is: you can not intentionally play laid back or forwarding in case you can't play dead on the beat intentionally. It's just not possible. But you might be able to just play laid back because that's the way of playing you grew up with.
However, if you really want to "master" groove, the first thing to do is grabbing your metronome and learn to play dead on the beat. There's no shortcuts to that.

Last edited:
I can understand arithmetically what’s going on with a polyrhythm.

I can probably count it out.

But if I hear it… And simply “feel it”, it’s a thousand times easier for me to play it.

I don’t think I’m unusual. Same for “groove”.

Pushing the beat or behind the beat, are fairly well understood terms. Execution is a different thing.

I don't believe theory is essential to practice. Not in any medium that I know of. It sure
can help, though. I suspect it can also be an hindrance if it dethrones practice, because
practice is highly essential to practice. :LOL:

I don't believe theory is essential to practice.

Theory can make your practice a lot more efficient. Dumb example: C/A is Am7. So once you know how to play a C triad and there's a bass laying down a deep A root, you don't need to learn Am7 anymore. Sure, it's not *that* simple, but it's sort of that simple.

Theory can make your practice a lot more efficient. Dumb example: C/A is Am7. So once you know how to play a C triad and there's a bass laying down a deep A root, you don't need to learn Am7 anymore. Sure, it's not *that* simple, but it's sort of that simple.
Sorry, I know it is completely off-topic, but my daughter just pissed herself laughing at your avatar image.

Sorry, I know it is completely off-topic, but my daughter just pissed herself laughing at your avatar image.

Poor little blobfish, voted the ugliest of all animals more than once. Fwiw, I just noticed it has a sort of a cameo appearance in MIB III.
You possibly better don't tell her that this guy is for real and that she might run into him on a scuba diving course.

Back