General Recording & Workflow Feedback

All this stuff ends up being way easier then you think

That’s pretty much recording in a nutshell. I know I’m still pretty far away from where I want my recordings to be, mix-wise, but I overall I’m comfortable with how they turn out and my mixer is so sparse compared to what it used to look like. Opening up some old sessions and seeing multiple EQ’s on guitar tracks or my mastering chain filled with stuff and compressors on everything, I just didn’t want to believe that it’s that simple to make something work. But I also didn’t have the experience of getting the sounds I needed up front, which is something only experience can teach.

Fortunately for all you bastards, you’re starting off far better than I did, so I don’t think it’ll be very long before you’re all lookin’ in the rear view mirror at me!

With multiple takes, comping etc. it quickly becomes too complicated and convoluted for me. I feel more comfortable with the old-school method of recording and deleting whole takes until I am happy with the outcome. Making more use of modern DAW features would save me quite some time, though.

I always record my parts on a dedicated „recording“ track, trim the beginning and end after recording and then drag the audio region onto the track it is intended for. It may be a clumsy way to do things but it helps to keep the project uncluttered and clearly arranged.

With multiple takes, comping etc. it quickly becomes too complicated and convoluted for me. I feel more comfortable with the old-school method of recording and deleting whole takes until I am happy with the outcome. Making more use of modern DAW features would save me quite some time, though.

Every bit with you here!

I'm quite familiar with the various technical options, but I found out that for me, especially as a guitar player (rather than as a "producer", if you will...), there's quite some benefits in recording entire tracks (or at least larger portions) rather than cycle-recording individual sections.
I may use copy/paste for individual song parts, but for a start I still prefer to record things in larger segments. That way I need to really get my parts done technically and concentrate on playing - which helps my playing in general.

I usually record 1-3 entire takes, then listen to the one I think of being the best and once there's some less than usable parts, I'm having a look at the other takes, whether the part was done better. Once done with that, I may re-record and replace some smaller portions individually, but I'm always trying to keep that to a minimum. As said, one part of the entire excersize for me is to improve as a player, the entire recording thing is more like a "side-dish" (especially as I'm not a decent songwriter anyway).

Fwiw, this is also why I stopped using amp plugins for the most part, I usually don't even record DI tracks simultaneously anymore. Using external hardware forces me to finish at least an entire take because otherwise, due to using analog pedals without total recall, the sound will be lost. Also helps me to learn which sounds work well. And after all, it's the same stuff I'm using live (which is my main job), so I'm getting more familiar with that, too.
When using plugins, it happened too often that a) I thought I could as well finish things later on and b) I often found myself tweaking things to death.

Yeah, I really go for full takes from start to finish, aside from the slightly differently feel it can give a song, especially something where you’re barely holding on by the end for whatever reason, it’s great practice. It definitely helps me clean up my playing enough to record something not-sloppy (usually).

Back