General Recording & Workflow Feedback

OK I saw this really cool trick…

Logic has a function where you can just keep recording over the same looped section for multiple takes and it will layer them in separate tracks for you when you hit stop.

This looks like a killer feature for double tracking guitars. This will make it so easy.

I think this is a flex tool?

Memory is a little questionable right at the moment. (Plus, I just “saw” this on YouTube and have never done it myself yet. It’ll stick once I actually do it)

I’m sure there’s a video out there on it

That would actually be amazing, especially if it gives you the count in before each pass.

Thanks dudes figured out a couple ways to do the fades from the above. Have landed at least for this project on using the region box and putting in a numeric value for where to start the fade in/out. Seems to be working ok.

I’m going to do some google fu today and see if there is a way to label the piano roll, that would be awesome but I think Drew is right that my muscle memory remembering where things are will slowly improve.

I’m pretty sure my neighbors just grew to love the sound of every drum in a giant kit being hit as I drag the MIDI note up and down trying to find the right drum/cymbal. :rofl

I’m pretty sure my neighbors just grew to love the sound of every drum in a giant kit being hit as I drag the MIDI note up and down trying to find the right drum/cymbal. :rofl

You actually just gave me a killer tip lmao

I didn’t think about dragging the midi note, I was clicking, deleting, rinse, repeat until I found the magical splash-choke. :rofl

OK I saw this really cool trick…

Logic has a function where you can just keep recording over the same looped section for multiple takes and it will layer them in separate tracks for you when you hit stop.

This looks like a killer feature for double tracking guitars. This will make it so easy.

I think this is a flex tool?

Memory is a little questionable right at the moment. (Plus, I just “saw” this on YouTube and have never done it myself yet. It’ll stick once I actually do it)

I’m sure there’s a video out there on it

I think the intention of that is for comping multiple takes. When you’re finished you have a little slider you can drag across the sections-

Say I have 4 takes of a solo and I want-
First 10 seconds from take 1
Next part from take 3
Next part from take 1 again
Next part from take 4
Ending from part 2

I just drag that bar across the sections I want and Logic will jump from take to take. If there’s a way to pull one of those takes out of that comp drop down format, I haven’t found it yet. (to use it as a double track)

I think the intention of that is for comping multiple takes. When you’re finished you have a little slider you can drag across the sections-

Say I have 4 takes of a solo and I want-
First 10 seconds from take 1
Next part from take 3
Next part from take 1 again
Next part from take 4
Ending from part 2

I just drag that bar across the sections I want and Logic will jump from take to take. If there’s a way to pull one of those takes out of that comp drop down format, I haven’t found it yet. (to use it as a double track)
I’ll go find a video - unfortunately it is like in a two hour long master class… Fudge

Somehow all the takes tile vertically into separate tracks.

You actually just gave me a killer tip lmao

I didn’t think about dragging the midi note, I was clicking, deleting, rinse, repeat until I found the magical splash-choke. :rofl

Yeah, just drag them up and down. I think the kick is usually C0 or maybe the octave below that? I’d have to be looking at it to know. After that it depends on how you have the kit set up.

OH, duh. While I don’t think you can rename the piano roll, depending on the drum VST you’re using, you can assign the mapping any way you want, so say if you want C0 to be the kick, C# to be the snare, D to be the hi-hat, you’d assign it that way in the MIDI mapping. I can’t remember which drum program you’re using though.

I’ll go find a video - unfortunately it is like in a two hour long master class… Fudge

Somehow all the takes tile vertically into separate tracks.

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about…it’s quick swipe comping.

If there’s a way to pull one of those takes out of that comp drop down format, I haven’t found it yet. (to use it as a double track)

All I know is that you can "unpack" them all. CTRL-click the title bar of the take folder thing and go here:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-26 um 23.15.30.jpg

(sorry for being too lazy to switch Logic to english)

All I know is that you can "unpack" them all. CTRL-click the title bar of the take folder thing and go here:
View attachment 4016
(sorry for being too lazy to switch Logic to english)

That’s awesome!

I’ve used that comp function I think one time and it was only because I screwed up and recorded a great take over an existing one and it did it on it’s own, so I just used it because I didn’t know how to unpack and sometimes I’m so lazy I won’t YouTube it. :rofl

I made a quick sh*tty vid on how I use the fade tool and the Gain instead of automating sh*t. @Whizzinby

If the vid quality blows just wait a few minutes, I juuuuust uploaded it.

Here you go… I called it the wrong thing… My apologies.

It’s called either loop recording or cycle recording.

Snaaaaap, I figured this would be a capability but I usually use the couple seconds between takes to shake my hands or clear my throat before automatically going again, but there’s other areas I could certainly use this in. Thanks, man!

More on fades:
Once applied, you don't need the fade tool anymore. Just hover over the title bar of the region and you'll see the cursor change at the fade position. Then just drag it around to alter the fade's length.
And when you go straight to the fade "graph", when holding down CMD, you can alter the curve of the fade.
And for the somewhat experimental moments: In the region parameter box, you can change the fade type from "fade in/out" to "speed up" or "slow down" - unfortunately you can't do that in combination with volume fades, still quite some fun here and there.

I made a quick sh*tty vid on how I use the fade tool and the Gain instead of automating sh*t. @Whizzinby

If the vid quality blows just wait a few minutes, I juuuuust uploaded it.

F’ing brilliant man.

Way easier than the way I was doing it.

All this stuff ends up being way easier then you think, but only after you stumble through it like a mouth breather for 17 hours to get there. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks dude.

More on fades:
Once applied, you don't need the fade tool anymore. Just hover over the title bar of the region and you'll see the cursor change at the fade position. Then just drag it around to alter the fade's length.
And when you go straight to the fade "graph", when holding down CMD, you can alter the curve of the fade.
And for the somewhat experimental moments: In the region parameter box, you can change the fade type from "fade in/out" to "speed up" or "slow down" - unfortunately you can't do that in combination with volume fades, still quite some fun here and there.

Good tip. I wanted to make my fade dip a little faster than the default. (y)

I think I’ve learned more in the last 30 minutes than the last three days fumbling through this track. :ROFLMAO:

Back