Gear Regrets: Turkey Modeler Edition!

I remember that time dearly when I was the only one who ever bought a Stomp 3 times.

:unsure::hmm:rofl
Keep Going Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Angry Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

My thoughts exactly. It's a shame that on modelers the audio interface functionality is almost like an afterthought, with level settings buried deep, often not very flexible routing (especially in a box with the most flexible routing for the guitar signal) and so on.

I'd love to make the Axe-Fx 3 my main audio interface, but I'd like things like a dedicated headphone volume knob (now I dedicate Out1 for headphones and hook up my studio monitors to Out2 just to get around this), an option to make the display/meters sleep (because I don't need to see them when it's just used as an audio interface) and I've done my darnest to make the fan as inaudible as possible by upgrading it to a Noctua model, but it's still there enough to hear in a quiet room.

So my audio interface is a humble Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen because I can't find another audio interface that meets fairly simple requirements:
  • A few mic pres.
  • A few line inputs.
  • Some line outputs.
  • SPDIF I/O. Preferably RCA so I don't need a RCA -> optical converter box. Modelers often have RCA, audio interfaces optical these days.
  • MIDI I/O.
  • Better headphone amp.
  • Solid drivers and latency performance.
  • Works on both Windows and MacOS.
  • Doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I'd probably pick up one of the Arturia Audiofuse units but reviews say the small one gets hot and all models have issues with the big encoder knob. Audio interfaces should be "so reliable you never have to think about it" stuff.
I am in the absolute opposite direction: I'd rather the modeler makers scale back to a basic "You can use this thing to track a DI and a stereo wet track. Preferably just using it as your audio input device while still using your actual audio interface as the audio output device". I don't know how much they could knock off the price of the III if it had a more basic 4x4 audio interface chip, but including the 12x12 or whatever it is is a complete waste of hardware.

A modeler that has two mic preamps w/ phantom, enough I/O to support even a modest "I've got other guitar gear I like to record, too, ya know" setup, two headphone jacks, each with separate mix busses, etc., is gonna get really friggin' pricey.

I am in the absolute opposite direction: I'd rather the modeler makers scale back to a basic "You can use this thing to track a DI and a stereo wet track. Preferably just using it as your audio input device while still using your actual audio interface as the audio output device". I don't know how much they could knock off the price of the III if it had a more basic 4x4 audio interface chip, but including the 12x12 or whatever it is is a complete waste of hardware.

A modeler that has two mic preamps w/ phantom, enough I/O to support even a modest "I've got other guitar gear I like to record, too, ya know" setup, two headphone jacks, each with separate mix busses, etc., is gonna get really friggin' pricey.
Fair counterpoint. As a hobbyist a "one device to rule them all" approach woudl work for me.

I see something like including a mic pre as a nice convenience feature, should you want to record an acoustic or run vocal processing. For example the QC has a pretty good sweet spot set of I/O for me. Helix Rack as well.

For the Axe-Fx 3, because it has to be a 3U box for its screen and everything to fit, they might as well jam pack the back with inputs/outputs too.

If I had it all to do over again, rather than selling the Axe III and trying to go Helix Rack as bothe modeler and audio interface, I shoulda kept the III, gone back to using my Behringer audio interface, and bought a Stomp.

Otherwise, the only hardware I regret is the blue Behringer V-POD-AMP I bought for like $40 off eBay for a single track a buddy was recording…only to find its S/N was so awful it was not suitable for purpose so borrowed a work colleague’s POD 2.0. V-Amp is still sitting in the attic somewhere.

At this point, I regret all amp sim plugins I ever bought.

Pretty content with FM3, Stomp + Synergy setup now, but do eventually want to have a Big Dawg Fractal again.

You know what, I think spending money on software and especially lots of impulses and Kemper profiles was kind of a waste. Hardware you can resale and get value back.

But it's funny what you described is more or less what I've got, Axe 3 + Stomp as an option (although with a few extra pieces I need to sell off).

I think you have to buy something first
Nah, he still regrets that nobody is making a digital modeler with stereo tube power amp in 2x12 combo format. He would have moved on that years ago. And bought a hot tub to help deal with the aches and pains of lugging it around.

Hmm I know a lot of people actually dug it but the Boss GP1000 or whatever that gold preamp was w COSM
I remember the add showing pictures of all the cool models in there , SLO , 5150 , JCM800 and I was so excited to get it
It was the fastest I have ever flipped a piece of gear and continue to remain skeptical about Roland amp modelling to this day
Fx were great but the amp models other than the Jc120 were utter crap 💩

Nah, he still regrets that nobody is making a digital modeler with stereo tube power amp in 2x12 combo format. He would have moved on that years ago. And bought a hot tub to help deal with the aches and pains of lugging it around.
Ah yes Spider Valve 2.0

I regret not selling my Roland VG8s1 while it was still worth something. Other wise it was a good example of how to turn $1000 into $100.

Not a modeler but wish I still had my Rocktron Chameleon.
Great unit for its time first 2 presets
Lizard Licks
Brontochorus

Had the Prophesy later that was basically and Egnater IE4 voiced preamp driven by tube stages

Back