Gear Regrets: Guitar Edition

I sold a near perfect Jackson Soloist SL1 in the early 90's and out of the 300 or so guitars I have owned it was probably the only one I miss. Fortunately I just found it's replacement. I have been looking for the "Perfect" mid 80 soloist with a floyd for the last 20 years in mint or near mint .
I just found it.
tempImageWH9Tgf.jpg

tempImageQGOlny.jpg

tempImagesmblP4.jpg

Serious vintage these days.

I sold a near perfect Jackson Soloist SL1 in the early 90's and out of the 300 or so guitars I have owned it was probably the only one I miss. Fortunately I just found it's replacement. I have been looking for the "Perfect" mid 80 soloist with a floyd for the last 20 years in mint or near mint .
I just found it.
View attachment 13233
View attachment 13234
View attachment 13235
Serious vintage these days.
Seeing the shape of that case, the pearl white finish with black hardware, the headstock shape and shark fin inlays reminds me of my regretfully gone Charvel Model 4.

Beautiful (and pleasantly nostalgic) find. :chef

Seeing the shape of that case, the pearl white finish with black hardware, the headstock shape and shark fin inlays reminds me of my regretfully gone Charvel Model 4.

Beautiful (and pleasantly nostalgic) find. :chef
Amazing condition for it's 35 years. Still got the plastic on the truss rod cover.

I traded this Charvel Fusion Deluxe Rainbow Crackle (I think it's a 1990, but not sure) for a used 1987 Ibanez S540Pro in the early '90s.

These days the ones I've seen used have been $1500+ in good condition.
0692D848-68AB-4557-89D5-70E6D8AAFA80.jpeg

I still have that guitar (by now, well used and abused):

6EC9EA83-6DB7-4278-9D87-9397F4423815.jpeg

That started a very long infatuation with 87/88 S540s. I own quite a few and have sold a few as well.

Man, George Gruhn should post in this thread. Whose sold more regret worthy guitars in
the history of humanity than that dude? :idk

I try and be philosophical about it all. None of them made me a better player, and there is
more sentimentality and nostalgia attached to them, but usually only after MANY years. At
the time I either received money or another piece of gear in their place. So.

The late 80's into early 90's were rough, though. Lots of great LPs and Strats and Teles
were sacrificed on the altar of the false gods that were pointy guitars and shredder necks.
I know few who escaped that period unscathed. :LOL:

But then I think about Norm and George and am like, if they can be ok with what they
passed on, then so can I. :beer

Me being a Het fan…. I regret getting a snakbyte…. First its matt finish…. I wanted. White finish but no one had in stock ( story of my life) … me being inpatient, i got black finish…. Then that snake inlay was fucking with me during soloing… took me a while to get used to it… then String breakage started…. I would put new sets it would break very fast…. Took it to tech several times to file bridge / set up nothing was working… then i swapped it to gotoh titanium saddle bridge. Massive improvement… But my desire died to play that guitar…. So im hoping to swap it for an other V or explorer….

Last edited:
Me being a Het fan…. I regret getting a snakbyte…. First its matt finish…. I wanted. White finish but no one had in stock ( story of my life) … me being inpatient, i got black finish…. Then that snake inlay was fucking with me during soloing… took me a while to get used to… the. String breakage started…. I would put new sets it would break very fast…. Took it to tech several times to file bridge / set up nothing was working… then i swapped it to gotoh titanium saddle bridge. Massive improvement… But my desire died to play that guitar…. So im hoping to swap it for an other V or explorer….

Because you're a Hetfield fan, you might want to keep these on your radar; Edwards has had a few Explorers over the years that are rather Hetfield-centric.

iu

iu

iu

iu

bephj4mcbxlvnuwjf2vy.jpg

I've had a 96 MIJ 50th anniversary Telecaster in Candy Apple red that I sold with two Fenix Strats and a Greco ES175 to afford the luthier built electric Guitar that I own, a Kraushaar.
It's still my only electric and spoiled me, when it comes to electrics, but sometimes I still miss that Telly.

Me being a Het fan…. I regret getting a snakbyte…. First its matt finish…. I wanted. White finish but no one had in stock ( story of my life) … me being inpatient, i got black finish…. Then that snake inlay was fucking with me during soloing… took me a while to get used to it… then String breakage started…. I would put new sets it would break very fast…. Took it to tech several times to file bridge / set up nothing was working… then i swapped it to gotoh titanium saddle bridge. Massive improvement… But my desire died to play that guitar…. So im hoping to swap it for an other V or explorer….
Funny as I've been looking at these for a while. Was in the area of a Guitar Center on Saturday, stopped in, and they had one hanging on the very top row. They got it down for me, and clearly some nasty people had played it. It had all these "smears" of "something" on front and back, pu covers were coated with grime, etc. etc. etc.

Wth they did it in satin is beyond me? That alone is a deal breaker, let alone the $1800+ price for an LTD. Not happenin'. They said they could order me a new one, heh! I'm like, but this IS A NEW ONE. :hmm

Funny as I've been looking at these for a while. Was in the area of a Guitar Center on Saturday, stopped in, and they had one hanging on the very top row. They got it down for me, and clearly some nasty people had played it. It had all these "smears" of "something" on front and back, pu covers were coated with grime, etc. etc. etc.

Wth they did it in satin is beyond me? That alone is a deal breaker, let alone the $1800+ price for an LTD. Not happenin'. They said they could order me a new one, heh! I'm like, but this IS A NEW ONE. :hmm

Satin neck is good but body ... meh... not for me... it has shine where skin touches and looks like guitar has eczema lol

This is my first satin and last.....

Did you wash your hands afterwards? haahaha

Satin neck is good but body ... meh... not for me... it has shine where skin touches and looks like guitar has eczema lol

This is my first satin and last.....

Did you wash your hands afterwards? haahaha
Umm, yes! Couldn't wash 'em fast enough.

I have 2 satin guitars and said "never again". Though there are tricks for the shinies, like 0000 steel wool - but gotta be careful.

Back