GAME OVER, Atomic CLR, Laney LFR, Fender FR12, etc.!

Just what we needed, more choice in the total shit end of "FRFR" .

I bought a pair of those small cheap Kustom monitor speakers several years back just so I could hear myself playing electronic drums. Hot runny garbage. I'm expecting this to be slightly better, but not much.

Stuff like this is EXACTLY why digital had such a bad rap for so long.

Newb to old grey beard: "Look at all the cool tricks this thing can do -- and I've got the portability of the Spark Go but can plug into this thing for when I need to be loud"

Old grey beard: Turns volume knob up; sound goes to shit; is very loud in newb's bedroom but still not as loud as he'd need for any kind of jam that involved a drummer. Everything turns to crap.

Newb: "WHOA! That's REALLY loud! See how Awesome it is!"

Old Grey beard: "Wait, you paid $420 for this rig? You should have gotten a used [insert appropriate boost/od pedal for genre] and [insert appropriate 20 year old budget tube combo] for that kind of money. Would have been way better."

Old grey beard is right if the newb does actually wanna play with others. Newb probably should have just gotten a Katana or a Katalyst depending on genre.

Stuff like this is EXACTLY why digital had such a bad rap for so long.

Newb to old grey beard: "Look at all the cool tricks this thing can do -- and I've got the portability of the Spark Go but can plug into this thing for when I need to be loud"

Old grey beard: Turns volume knob up; sound goes to shit; is very loud in newb's bedroom but still not as loud as he'd need for any kind of jam that involved a drummer. Everything turns to crap.

Newb: "WHOA! That's REALLY loud! See how Awesome it is!"

Old Grey beard: "Wait, you paid $420 for this rig? You should have gotten a used [insert appropriate boost/od pedal for genre] and [insert appropriate 20 year old budget tube combo] for that kind of money. Would have been way better."

Old grey beard is right if the newb does actually wanna play with others. Newb probably should have just gotten a Katana or a Katalyst depending on genre.
I spent more years playing the Newb role than the Old Grey Beard role. (And I have an actual old grey beard now.) This is the D&M sub, so I don't mind admitting it. I was just fascinated by the concepts years before the actual products were any good. And budget was always constrained. What are you gonna do? :idk

Stereo in this small form factor is dumb, but a mono speaker with two tweeters is even dumber... is this thing really not stereo?

Edit: under FAQ
1696533319884.png

ah... :facepalm

What IS contained your bag, sir?
I just don’t quite see the point of trying to put effort into making a PA speaker that looks cool. PA speakers are a pretty big market, where they benefit pretty substantially from economies of scale and that often offer some pretty handy add-ons compared to guitar-centric "FRFR" stuff. Put another way: I’m not gonna buy a PA Speaker designed and built by Dave Friedman any sooner than I’m going to buy a Marshall-style tube amp designed and built by JBL.

The only thing I own in this space is a QSC 8.2k. I got it because my brother-in-law asked me if I could handle sound for his rehearsal dinner - needed to DJ a playlist from my laptop and also needed to run a microphone for guests that wanted to toast. Have also used it for a fundraiser run at my wife’s school - kinda need the same thing. Plays playlist from somebody’s phone but can also use a mic for announcing, etc. she’s used it there when they wanted to have an outdoor dance party and their Bluetooth speaker wasn’t loud enough. And I’ve used it some with my FM3. It was kinda pricey, but I’ve also been surprised just how often it has been handy to have a compact little PA speaker kicking around. The Fender would have needed a separate mixer to handle some of those s tasks; I doubt this positive grid thing would have been loud enough for several of them (and am certain it wouldn’t have sounded near as good as the QSC does at any of them).

Man..Solid idea, love the size weight but I don't really see the appeal as a pair of studio monitors is going to go way further in terms of use at home and with a 3 way system I'm unsure it's going to be loud enough for anything other than coffee house gigs.

I think it's mostly a transitional object for people who are new to modeling and are used to having a conventional guitar cabinet behind them.
IOW, for folks with issues that have nothing to do with making music. Horn players, vocalists, and keyboard players all seem not to have these issues. Why is it exclusive to people who own guitars?

Last edited:
IOW, for folks with issues that have nothing to do with making music. Horn players, vocalists, and keyboard players all seem not to have these issues. Why is it exclusive to people who own guiitars?

It’s a key component of the instrument? 🤔

I actually hate using wedges. Hence my interest in stuff like this. The CLR is compelling too, but not with their track record.

Back