GAME OVER, Atomic CLR, Laney LFR, Fender FR12, etc.!

I don't know. I'm not a scientist.
hqdefault.jpg

I was wondering that too. Maybe the tweeters are in stereo and the signal gets summed to mono for the woofer?
If it's stereo (and it actually manages any perceptible stereo spread) then this would be a very compelling feature. Seems improbable though, since there's also a mono XLR/Neutrik input. I guess I'll have to actually read the copy on the product page... :D

Last edited:
Looking at the back panel, it looks very similar. But not the same - the USB, DC, and switching are a little different.

3.5mm input for Spark amp input is one of those things that makes my inner gear snob twitch. And why would you have a stereo input on this thing anyway? It's a mono cab with mono output.
They have heard of Timbuck3s internet posts

Positive Grid:

“Hey Bob, did you see Fender released a new line of "FRFR" speakers this morning?”

“Seriously?! What the fuck? We’d better release ours immediately! Get Guitar World on the phone and tell them to post the article ASAP!”

I absolutely don't get the appeal of any of these things (minus the coaxial designs a la CLR and whomelse - but then, they're rather looking like monitors). I mean, is there anything else but the looks to them? Featurewise, every bog standard wedge blows them away (additional inputs, sometimes BlueTooth, multiple EQ curves, sometime programmable), add to this that wedges can usually placed at 2 different tilt angles and on a pole, should that float your boat.
But uh, oh, yay, looks like a trve guitarist thing. So important.

If it's stereo (and it actually manages any perceptible stereo spread) then this would be a very compelling feature. Seems improbable though, since there's also a mono XLR/Neutrik input. I guess I'll have to actually read the copy on the product page... :D
So I went back and did my homework. And the copy on the product page is just silly. There's no mention of the cab being stereo (because it almost certainly isn't) but they explicitly call out a stereo TRS input and a 1x balanced (mono) output. Because who's reading this stuff anyway? The Contour switch is a dead giveaway that this is essentially a rebranded Alto/ Headrush/ whatever power amp module bolted to a more appealing box. (Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that.)

What annoys me the most are all of the blank check claims that this will be loud enough; that it's "got you covered" no matter the circumstances. Recording, home practice, live performance! It will "blow the doors down". It's "gig-ready". No need to even question what kind of "gig" we're talking about. So much pandering; I can remember being young enough and dumb enough to read things like this and get excited, and now it all just makes me...
:barf

Actual price after this preorder period will be $300. THREE.HUNDRED.DOLLARS.

If I needed a compact, fairly low wattage fullish range flattish response speaker that I could safely tote around, I’d grab this thing any day of the week and twice on Sunday because it’s significantly cheaper, more compact, and aside from the usb hub, offers waaaaay more functionality. Sure it looks less cool. But no matter how pretty and pro your cab looks, NOBODY looks cool trying to play with any sort of percussionist with a 140 watt, multi-way speaker system. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B205D--behringer-eurolive-b205d-150w-powered-monitor-speaker

If my budget was $300, I’d grab…any number of products with over 140 watts of power handling and over 500 watts of power on tap that can legitimately put out 120+ decibels.

3.5mm input for Spark amp input is one of those things that makes my inner gear snob twitch. And why would you have a stereo input on this thing anyway? It's a mono cab with mono output.
I'd imagine it is because it is better to hear a stereo signal summed to mono than it is to only hear one half of the stereo image - this is especially true if you're using the monitor to play backing tracks!

So I went back and did my homework. And the copy on the product page is just silly. There's no mention of the cab being stereo (because it almost certainly isn't) but they explicitly call out a stereo TRS input and a 1x balanced (mono) output. Because who's reading this stuff anyway? The Contour switch is a dead giveaway that this is essentially a rebranded Alto/ Headrush/ whatever power amp module bolted to a more appealing box. (Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that.)

What annoys me the most are all of the blank check claims that this will be loud enough; that it's "got you covered" no matter the circumstances. Recording, home practice, live performance? It will "blow the doors down". It's gig-ready. No need to even question what kind of "gig" we're talking about. I can remember being young enough and dumb enough to read things like this and get excited, and now it all just makes me...
:barf
Given that a wide range of reputable PA speakers that list actually meaningful specs show a power handling of 150 watts (which is always coupled with well over twice that amount of actual power) don’t reach 130 dB output…

…your toddler better not be a heavy hitter if you wanna use this thing.

Price means nothing without knowing if it sounds good or not.

Seriously though, this looks related to the Alto TS110. Both have dual XLR inputs, both have a contour switch, both have a ground lift switch. Price point is in the same ballpark as well.

Seriously though, this looks related to the Alto TS110. Both have dual XLR inputs, both have a contour switch, both have a ground lift switch. Price point is in the same ballpark as well.
One major distinction is that the Alto TS110 was rated at ~1000W peak (~500W continuous.) This is actually a much smaller power amp.

Smaller distinctions: USB and barrel jack DC power.

But yeah, it looks to be an off-the-shelf class D power amp module of some kind. I imagine there are dozens of them available to manufacturers.

Last edited:

These aren't obscure specs though. The same can be said of any other PA speaker of this size/power out there.

I have zero doubt this is something Positive Grid designed themselves, and the price/feature set kinda reflects it - as in, you can get a cheapo 150w PA speaker for half the price anywhere else. This thing clearly aims to be a dedicated solution for people using modelers though.

But yeah, it looks to be an off-the-shelf class D power amp module of some kind. I imagine there are dozens of them available to manufacturers.

+1. Crack open any "FRFR" speaker / digital combo on the market, and you'll find an off-the-shelf Chinese class D amp module. Much like with power supplies, it makes no (business) sense to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:
Back