Fryette Sig:X and Deliverance 120

Stratzrus

Roadie
After years of gigging I've found that, if I can bring myself to carry them, I really like 100 watt amps.

I like plenty of clean headroom and the big iron heads deliver in a way that lower wattage amps can't. The 100 watt amps aren't necessarily louder in real world use but there is a qualitative difference in the tone. It sounds fuller and more substantial at the same volume, particularly above 95db.

In order to be useful for higher gain tones, if you don't use an attenuator, they need to have a good master volume. Fortunately both of the Fryettes do.

I've done a bunch of Jazz/R&B/Funk gigs with the Sig:X and it covers all of those bases well. It's equally adept at Blues Rock, Classic Rock, and Metal.

I think if the three channel Sig:X is a scalpel the single channel D120 is a sledgehammer. While to my ear not really ideal for traditional Jazz tones (Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, etc.) the D120 can handle all of the other styles mentioned above exceptionally well and when you crank it into a full stack the clouds part and the sun shines through like a super nova.

I couldn't be happier with both of them and they never fail to put an ear to ear grin on my face whenever I plug into either one.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone else here who has or has played through one. Waddya think?

33250750496_fcc4e4d539_b.jpg

As pictured above the Sig:X is connected to the two Rivera 4x12s left and right with the Rivera 2x12s used only for elevation. The D120 is powering the two Deliverance 4x12s in the middle. I bought the Power Station PS-1 in anticipation of getting the D120 but when it arrived realized that the master volume was so good that I really didn't need it.

I absolutely love fryette stuff. I rocked a Pitt bull 50cl for like 9 years (probably the longest tenure am amp has had with me). That thing was awesome

I traded it directly across for a Sig X, and that thing was super super awesome. Unfortunately not long after that I stopped playing guitar completely for a year and sold off all my stuff :(

Definitely want another fryette again at some point. You don’t really see them come up used all that often anymore

Sweet! I owned a D60 for a few years. Would love to have a Sig X in the arsenal someday.

Old VHT/Fryette are great amps that are not modified take offs on Mesa, Fender, Vox, or Marshall.

Can't say that about a lot of "other" builders. I have always loved that Stephen has his
own ear and ideas and has been stubborn enough to see them through.

Old VHT/Fryette are great amps that are not modified take offs on Mesa, Fender, Vox, or Marshall. Can't say that about a lot of "other" builders. I have always loved that Stephen has his own ear and ideas and has been stubborn enough to see them through.

Absolutely!

After re-reading my post and looking at the photo I realized that I could use the Power Station PS-1, that I thought I didn't need after actually playing through the D120, to power the two Rivera 2x12 on the bottom left and right. I've never fired the whole thing up at once. That should be truly amazing.

Back