Fractal VP4 Owners Discussion

dancing-dance-move.gif

You can just save the preset and choose a different preset slot I think. At least that's how it works on other Fractals.

Actually saving it to another slot doesn't matter much. Just saving the preset in one slot, then toggling to another preset and back, then adding a delay block should work.

Alright give me the checklist steps again for this method, I haven’t had my second cup of coffee yet. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe it could be hold-Enter to pop out block, move with selector, pop it back in with Enter? But yeah, desperately craving block reordering.

Yeah that would work too. Anything as long as it not buried in a menu option, it has to be readily available from the face buttons.

Was building a net-new preset last night, and wanted to start with a delay block. I sat there for 20 seconds thinking “where do I want to put this, will I want two open spaces before or after” knowing I won’t be able to move it later without recreating the block entirely. The pressure!!! :ROFLMAO:

Exacerbated by the fact that not only will I need to reorder the blocks manually, but without type favorites I will have to granularly rebuild each type again. :cry:

I’m at the “1970’s movie soundtrack” preset stage with the VP4.

View attachment 31604

I’ve never been a huge spring reverb dude, but used in the right context I’m becoming a true believer. The Tube Spring model is very cool for this vibe. I’m also noticing that if you use a whiff of a spring early in a preset, getting a touch of the drip (that’s what she said) repeating, before stacking another end-of-chain verb, is cool.
You're a half-step away from finding "oh, that sounds a lot more like tremolo on a Fender amp" territory. Tremolo -- bias, harmonic, VCA, whatever -- AFTER the spring reverb, both before the amp, and now your spring reverb drip and boing are also tremolo-ed and any amp drive you have is more dynamic because the level of signal feeding into the amp is going up and down, rather than your already clipped/compressed signal from the amp getting tremoloed. The humidity will quickly rise to swamp-levels in your jam room.

Alright give me the checklist steps again for this method, I haven’t had my second cup of coffee yet. :ROFLMAO:
  1. Set e.g a delay block to your favorite settings on all channels.
  2. Remove the delay block from the preset.
  3. Save the preset. Let's call it preset "Test".
  4. Load another preset, and then go back to preset "Test".
  5. Then try adding the delay block again.
If it works, you should still see your customized delay type/settings for each channel. If it doesn't, it simply loads the defaults for the delay block.

Basically the question is "Does Fractal store settings for currently unused blocks inside a preset?"

Yeah that would work too. Anything as long as it not buried in a menu option, it has to be readily available from the face buttons.

Was building a net-new preset last night, and wanted to start with a delay block. I sat there for 20 seconds thinking “where do I want to put this, will I want two open spaces before or after” knowing I won’t be able to move it later without recreating the block entirely. The pressure!!! :ROFLMAO:

Exacerbated by the fact that not only will I need to reorder the blocks manually, but without type favorites I will have to granularly rebuild each type again. :cry:

Maybe it could be hold-Enter to pop out block, move with selector, pop it back in with Enter? But yeah, desperately craving block reordering.
This sounds good to me. Another option could be "hold down on the select knob, then turn left/right".

1. Set e.g a delay block to your favorite settings on all channels.
  2. Remove the delay block from the preset.
  3. Save the preset. Let's call it preset "Test".
  4. Load another preset, and then go back to preset "Test".
  5. Then try adding the delay block again.
If it works, you should still see your customized delay type/settings for each channel. If it doesn't, it simply loads the defaults for the delay block.

Basically the question is "Does Fractal store settings for currently unused blocks inside a preset?"

Didn’t work. When I went back to add the Delay block on test the Delay block was all Digital Mono, not my four individual types.

If it were me, I would just make default favorite preset skeletons....ready to build new presets.

Like save all your favorite blocks with the settings you like by default....I do this all the time with other devices, or just save a preset I like, but want to change effect types on...but not faffn with all the routing and level, and mix crap... because it's already there.
Yes it takes up preset space....but it also saves time.

I'm already planning this with my intention of wdw, but also want 4cm sometimes...but don't want to set basic stuff every time.....

Am I making any sense at all🤔?

Didn’t work. When I went back to add the Delay block on test the Delay block was all Digital Mono, not my four individual types.
Bah! That sucks.

Would have been a cool way to make your own favorite default settings for any block, regardless of whether it's in the preset or not.

I hope Fractal adds at least the ability to set defaults.

You're a half-step away from finding "oh, that sounds a lot more like tremolo on a Fender amp" territory. Tremolo -- bias, harmonic, VCA, whatever -- AFTER the spring reverb, both before the amp, and now your spring reverb drip and boing are also tremolo-ed and any amp drive you have is more dynamic because the level of signal feeding into the amp is going up and down, rather than your already clipped/compressed signal from the amp getting tremoloed. The humidity will quickly rise to swamp-levels in your jam room.

Screwing around with this.

IMG_5376.jpeg

Definitely a cool vibe. 👍

I generally find tremolo so hard to dial in to where it’s anything more than something you just kind of engage in brief bursts. Whereas stuff like chorus and flanger I can have “always on” settings for those. I need to experiment with rate + depth on the trem, in combination with various spring mix levels.

I bought a Morningstar MC6 Pro, in anticipation of getting the VP4.

But now I'm not sure what I'm doing.

TBH, wrapping up the band has put me back into a 'oooo that's nice!' mindset, rather than a 'what do I actually need?' mindset. Suckage.

Back