First official practice this weekend!

DrewJD82

Staff member
After my last 3 attempts to get into a cover band and those being a flop, I decided if I was going to continue putting effort into being in a band, I might as well start one from the ground up and play the music I want to play. I hopped on Bandmix and started hitting up every drummer I could find in the area because they’re the hardest ones to find down here.

I eventually came a cross a profile of a woman who had all the same influences and had this posted in the profile-

After finding some of that band’s other video/music and realizing she’s practically perfect for this particular band I want to put together, I hit her up. We met up a couple weeks ago to shoot the shit and get a feel for each other and had we not had things to do that night I think we could have sat there and talked until the sun came up. She moved here from Venezuela in 2015 and has tried getting in bands, but no one wanted to give her a shot at playing in a band.

I gave her a few songs to work on and told her to do her own thing with them as long as the feel/tempo/subdivisions are there and she told me this week she’s ready to bang it out in a room, so we’re booked for this Saturday! That’s been the only thing getting me through a rather horrendous work week!

she told me this week she’s ready to bang it out in a room

giphy.gif

BEST FIRST PRACTICE EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I’m 100% certain the Universe just said “Drew, you’ve dealt with a lot of band bullshit over the years and it’s time you had the exact band that’s right for you, so here’s the perfect drummer to start off with”

As we’re setting up at the rehearsal studio she starts talking about the songs I sent her, particularly this one-

Within about 60 seconds I felt like I got my biggest fan as my drummer. I told her we could change parts up, she could change her parts/fills, because this is a band and not the Drew Project, “No! I love this song too much how it is! Everything perfect and the vocals, oh my god, if we could get him to sing for us that would be amazing! I feel like he sing to my soul, it sound like Lamb Of God and then Chris Cornell and Dio at the end! Those perfect for metal singing, not like pussy boy! I see people singing the chorus back to us at a concerts! Do you think he would sing for us?”

Apparently she thought when I told her “I played everything on these songs” I meant only the guitars. I said “Oh, I’m pretty sure he’ll be singing for us”, so we start working on the song and we’re getting through the 2nd chorus within the first few times we’re playing it. Guitar parts are easy but her job certainly isn’t! We start it up again and this time I go to start singing it, I got about 5 words out before she dropped her sticks and grabbed her face like the Home Alone kid and says “I am just so happy, give me minute please. That’s you singing too? Did you sing the chorus?” and I said “Well, I did on the recording but we’ll see if I can do it 8 years later!” then she asked if I was sure I wanted her in the band and I’m like, “Dude, it’s been 30 minutes and I already feel like I’m playing with my favorite drummer I’ve had a band with”

We go through it again and as I’m playing the solo I’m thinking “If she doesn’t stop I’m not gonna stop and fuck I have this fucking chorus to sing, I haven’t hit that fucking note in at least 5 years” and I’m kinda dreading it because I’m sure my voice is going to break or my pitch will be all fucked, she keeps playing where we normally stopped and as I got up to the mic I just feel a calm flush through me and those words came out with such fucking ease I didn’t even feel like I was singing it.

She kept apologizing because we didn’t get all 3 songs I sent her played today and I’m like, “Dude, this is not an easy song to pull off and we have work to do but we got through the song from start to finish more than once, I could not be any happier right now!”

I have never been in a situation where there was this much mutual respect for the other’s abilities. She’s nothing but positive and full of energy, way too bashful about her playing. My face hurt from smiling and laughing so much during those few hours and I didn’t want to stop playing.

Oh, the EVH 50-watt into a Marshall 1960A with that Duncan Nazgul in the Solar, fuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkk. Used the Red channel with the gain on 3, no boost, no gate, no feedback in pauses, could hear every string ringing out in chords and just a fucking CHUGFEST with every damn note coming through. Has me 2nd guessing the JP2C+ now.

And in a couple hours we’re meeting up at the Dokken tribute my buddy is putting on at my favorite watering hole. I cannot wait to introduce her to all the bands down here just so they can start assuming how she plays…….she’s going to wipe the fucking floor with 95% of the metal drummers down here when she gets on a stage and it’s going to be fucking SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I’m 100% certain the Universe just said “Drew, you’ve dealt with a lot of band bullshit over the years and it’s time you had the exact band that’s right for you, so here’s the perfect drummer to start off with”

As we’re setting up at the rehearsal studio she starts talking about the songs I sent her, particularly this one-

Within about 60 seconds I felt like I got my biggest fan as my drummer. I told her we could change parts up, she could change her parts/fills, because this is a band and not the Drew Project, “No! I love this song too much how it is! Everything perfect and the vocals, oh my god, if we could get him to sing for us that would be amazing! I feel like he sing to my soul, it sound like Lamb Of God and then Chris Cornell and Dio at the end! Those perfect for metal singing, not like pussy boy! I see people singing the chorus back to us at a concerts! Do you think he would sing for us?”

Apparently she thought when I told her “I played everything on these songs” I meant only the guitars. I said “Oh, I’m pretty sure he’ll be singing for us”, so we start working on the song and we’re getting through the 2nd chorus within the first few times we’re playing it. Guitar parts are easy but her job certainly isn’t! We start it up again and this time I go to start singing it, I got about 5 words out before she dropped her sticks and grabbed her face like the Home Alone kid and says “I am just so happy, give me minute please. That’s you singing too? Did you sing the chorus?” and I said “Well, I did on the recording but we’ll see if I can do it 8 years later!” then she asked if I was sure I wanted her in the band and I’m like, “Dude, it’s been 30 minutes and I already feel like I’m playing with my favorite drummer I’ve had a band with”

We go through it again and as I’m playing the solo I’m thinking “If she doesn’t stop I’m not gonna stop and fuck I have this fucking chorus to sing, I haven’t hit that fucking note in at least 5 years” and I’m kinda dreading it because I’m sure my voice is going to break or my pitch will be all fucked, she keeps playing where we normally stopped and as I got up to the mic I just feel a calm flush through me and those words came out with such fucking ease I didn’t even feel like I was singing it.

She kept apologizing because we didn’t get all 3 songs I sent her played today and I’m like, “Dude, this is not an easy song to pull off and we have work to do but we got through the song from start to finish more than once, I could not be any happier right now!”

I have never been in a situation where there was this much mutual respect for the other’s abilities. She’s nothing but positive and full of energy, way too bashful about her playing. My face hurt from smiling and laughing so much during those few hours and I didn’t want to stop playing.

Oh, the EVH 50-watt into a Marshall 1960A with that Duncan Nazgul in the Solar, fuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkk. Used the Red channel with the gain on 3, no boost, no gate, no feedback in pauses, could hear every string ringing out in chords and just a fucking CHUGFEST with every damn note coming through. Has me 2nd guessing the JP2C+ now.

And in a couple hours we’re meeting up at the Dokken tribute my buddy is putting on at my favorite watering hole. I cannot wait to introduce her to all the bands down here just so they can start assuming how she plays…….she’s going to wipe the fucking floor with 95% of the metal drummers down here when she gets on a stage and it’s going to be fucking SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I am so so so very happy for you! Can't see how it could've been any better, mega congrats!!

This is all fucking awesome! Congratulations dude!

Man that is SO FUCKING COOL!! ALL of it!! Except, I wouldn't be introducing her to ANYBODY!!! :nails :nails :nails :nails :nails

FUCKIN' A!! YOU GOOOOO!!!

Hahahha well, I found her via Bandmix and she’s had a profile up for quite a while, everyone who wanted a shot could have taken it by now. She said she gets a lot of request to join a band doing everything but metal, but she loves metal too much to play anything any different.

And after she exclaimed her enjoyment of the songs themselves, I’m not worried. I couldn’t ask for a better situation than having a drummer who loves the music I’ve already written. She doesn’t want to change anything, she wants to learn everything fill or fill. I literally could not ask for a better situation.

Back