Fender FR-10/FR-12 noise reduction mod

No. As far as I can tell from following threads on several forums, I'm the only person to post pictures of the board since my mid-December delivery pics.

giphy.gif

I've had the stuff in hand to do the mod for a while now but have been super busy (cough*lazy*cough). Finally started on it. I soldered three 1604s into SOIC-14s. I didn't install them yet because I'm waiting on the solder sucker.

Those SOIC-14s didn't come with the pins installed; I didn't expect that. All in all, it seemed pretty easy and soldering up these parts took me about an hour. We'll see if they work when I install them though. :rofl

I've had the stuff in hand to do the mod for a while now but have been super busy (cough*lazy*cough). Finally started on it. I soldered three 1604s into SOIC-14s. I didn't install them yet because I'm waiting on the solder sucker.

Those SOIC-14s didn't come with the pins installed; I didn't expect that. All in all, it seemed pretty easy and soldering up these parts took me about an hour. We'll see if they work when I install them though. :rofl
Hope you record it. I’d love to see a video of the installation

Dag, I decide not to read a thread for a couple weeks and sh*t goes down.

It makes me think of two things from the past. As I understand it Line 6 improved the input of POD Gos soon after the initial release without fanfare (which kept me from buying a used unit).

The other thing is that when people started making Klones there wasn’t anything Bill Finnegan could do about it, and that was his own product. But maybe we can start enough hype here for folks to start buying @Lysander modded FR12s for big money. If we can just start referring to the bits Fender is skipping out on as “magical”….

As I understand it Line 6 improved the input of POD Gos soon after the initial release without fanfare (which kept me from buying a used unit).

Note that, as far as i know, Line 6 will service Pod GO's with the "wrong" input impedance.

If we can just start referring to the bits Fender is skipping out on as “magical”….

IMG_1281_7b896e2e-75a2-4264-8c22-2e27fd812aa9.jpg

As I understand it Line 6 improved the input of POD Gos soon after the initial release without fanfare (which kept me from buying a used unit).
Wow, I had not heard of this before now. FYI, they're not the only modeler manufacturer to screw up an input design and quietly fix their mistake in production without telling previous purchasers.

In Australia, for example, you could be be entitled for a replacement/repair just because of the amp "failing to be of acceptable quality, and the failure not amounting to a major failure"... as defined by the consumer.
How's this work though? Why would a consumer keep around some product that fails to be of acceptable quality and demand that a manufacturer replace/repair it instead of just... returning it? It's not like the issue developed over time, it was present from the get-go.

How's this work though? Why would a consumer keep around some product that fails to be of acceptable quality and demand that a manufacturer replace/repair it instead of just... returning it?

Disclaimer: i'm FAR from a lawyer, but as i understand it, Australian Consumer Laws are very pro-consumer. A faulty device entitles you to an immediate replacement/refund, and if the device works but happens to "fail to be of acceptable quality" yes, you can reclaim repair/replacement.

Well I got my FR-10 today. 1) It's killer. 2) It hisses. You can easily hear it in a quiet bedroom. If I hadn't read all this hissing complaints I'd probably live with it. As soon as you start playing, you don't care about the hiss. But it's there. And you know that if you are patient (I am not) you can just wait for the fix.

30-day return period starting today. Question is, should I return it and wait until Fender silently (sad) fixes it? Is there any other reason to send it back apart from the hiss (which is obvious but tolerable in my case)? Will the phantom power issue be fixed? I don't know, please advise.

...you know that if you are patient (I am not) you can just wait for the fix...Question is, should I return it and wait until Fender silently (sad) fixes it?

This assumes that a fix is coming. So far we have one person who has identified upgraded chips being installed at the factory.

We have no idea what caused this to happen or if there is a plan to install more upgraded chips at all, let alone on all units going forward.

I think we have to assume, until we have evidence otherwise, that it is what it is and if you want to eliminate the hiss you have to do the Lysander fix at your own expense and the cost of voiding your warranty.

Given the large number of positive reviews and the low cost of the item I don't think it's unreasonable to give serious consideration to doing the fix on your own if you find the hiss objectionable. Anyone who already has one, is outside the return period like me, and plans to use it at home playing alone has the choice of living with the hiss or doing the fix.

Hoping that Fender is going to upgrade the parts going forward or in the future is a crapshoot. The question is, what makes sense in the real world today? Fix it or return it?

This assumes that a fix is coming. So far we have one person who has identified upgraded chips being installed at the factory.

^^^ This, very much. Don't assume Fender having any future plans for the FR-10/12... because we simply don't know. They even refuse to publicly acknowledge these issues.

30-day return period starting today. Question is, should I return it and wait until Fender silently (sad) fixes it? Is there any other reason to send it back apart from the hiss (which is obvious but tolerable in my case)? Will the phantom power issue be fixed? I don't know, please advise.

Do you have the chance to try one in a store, and hope for a hiss-less version? Other than that, there's no way when/if Fender is every going to fix this for good. The FR-12 sounds amazing IMHO, hiss and all. Maybe find someone willing to mod it for you?

Last edited:

We have no idea what caused this to happen or if there is a plan to install more upgraded chips at all, let alone on all units going forward.

I think we have to assume, until we have evidence otherwise, that it is what it is and if you want to eliminate the hiss you have to do the Lysander fix at your own expense and the cost of voiding your warranty.

Given the large number of positive reviews and the low cost of the item I don't think it's unreasonable to give serious consideration to doing the fix on your own if you find the hiss objectionable. Anyone who already has one, is outside the return period like me, and plans to use it at home playing alone has the choice of living with the hiss or doing the fix.

Hoping that Fender is going to upgrade the parts going forward or in the future is a crapshoot. The question is, what makes sense in the real world today? Fix it or return it?
I don't think I can fix it, nor have it fixed where I live. I'd need a detailed list of what I have to buy and a very layman style set of explicit, step-by-step IKEAish instructions with pictures and/or video. I can solder pickup wires. Otherwise, no experience.

^^^ This, very much. Don't assume Fender having any future plans for the FR-10/12... because we simply don't know. They even refuse to publicly acknowledge these issues.

Do you have the chance to try one in a store, and hope for a hiss-less version? Other than that, there's no way when/if Fender is every going to fix this for good. The FR-12 sounds amazing IMHO, hiss an all. Maybe find someone willing to mod it for you?
I could try to find someone who repairs electronic devices. But I have no clue what to tell them, what I need to buy etc.

I could try to find someone who repairs electronic devices. But I have no clue what to tell them, what I need to buy etc.

Any half decent electronics repair shop should be able to quickly fix this for you. Just show them the first page in the thread :LOL:. You might want to buy the replacement ICs yourself as well.

Back