Fender FR-10/FR-12 noise reduction mod

Have you tried the cut knob around 9 o’clock?
Yes, it works very well. I don't use it for the hiss issue, it does a great job taming the fizzy highs when they are there. The truth is I don't find the hiss a real problem. I just want the best I can get, that's it.

Yes, it works very well. I don't use it for the hiss issue, it does a great job taming the fizzy highs when they are there. The truth is I don't find the hiss a real problem. I just want the best I can get, that's it.
Understandable. I have two FR10s and I barely notice the hiss although mine may have less than others.

. I'd need a detailed list of what I have to buy… pictures and/or video.
images

Annnnd...done. As @Lysander said the difference is staggering. The hiss is gone. Ok, technically there's still some hiss but I have to put my ear to the tweeter to hear it. For all intents and purposes, it's silent.

The mod took me about 2 hours total I think, with most of that from building the three 1604/SOIC assemblies a couple days ago. Today the YIHUA solder sucker arrived. I pulled the preamp out of the FR-12, desildered the stock TL084s, installed the new opamp assemblies, and reinstalled the preamp all in under an hour.

When I went to test it and flipped the power on it was so silent I was concerned I messed it up. Nope. It's just that quiet.

The mod itself is fairly simple if you have the right tools. The YIHUA solder sucker as recommended by @aflynt and @roy is incredibly handy. Removing the stock opamps would have taken at least triple the time without it. Awesome tool for this work.

Also I'm using a nice Hakko soldering station, some Kester solder, some handy soldering tips, and some magnifying glasses.

If you are handy and not intimidated, and either have the right tools on hand or don't mind buying them, it's really pretty easy and not expensive. Also, you'll want pretty steady hands--I could see it being significantly more difficult if your hands shake because the parts are very small.

Great work figuring this out Lysander, and also thanks to WKSmith on the Fractal Forum.

So yeah...I now have extra parts for 3 more of these mods.

Annnnd...done. As @Lysander said the difference is staggering. The hiss is gone. Ok, technically there's still some hiss but I have to put my ear to the tweeter to hear it. For all intents and purposes, it's silent.

The mod took me about 2 hours total I think, with most of that from building the three 1604/SOIC assemblies a couple days ago. Today the YIHUA solder sucker arrived. I pulled the preamp out of the FR-12, desildered the stock TL084s, installed the new opamp assemblies, and reinstalled the preamp all in under an hour.

When I went to test it and flipped the power on it was so silent I was concerned I messed it up. Nope. It's just that quiet.

The mod itself is fairly simple if you have the right tools. The YIHUA solder sucker as recommended by @aflynt and @roy is incredibly handy. Removing the stock opamps would have taken at least triple the time without it. Awesome tool for this work.

Also I'm using a nice Hakko soldering station, some Kester solder, some handy soldering tips, and some magnifying glasses.

If you are handy and not intimidated, and either have the right tools on hand or don't mind buying them, it's really pretty easy and not expensive. Also, you'll want pretty steady hands--I could see it being significantly more difficult if your hands shake because the parts are very small.

Great work figuring this out Lysander, and also thanks to WKSmith on the Fractal Forum.

So yeah...I now have extra parts for 3 more of these mods.
So in my head I was picturing desoldering the old opamps and soldering new ones. What is this
1604/SOIC assemblies

So in my head I was picturing desoldering the old opamps and soldering new ones. What is this

Other people have used some different parts that work well also. Im pretty sure you can just desolder the old opamps and solder new ones in their place. You just need the right size opamps. I think the 4227s (?) can be found in the right size. Again I think some people are soldering in sockets and then just press-fitting the opamps into the sockets.

Other people have used some different parts that work well also. Im pretty sure you can just desolder the old opamps and solder new ones in their place. You just need the right size opamps. I think the 4227s (?) can be found in the right size. Again I think some people are soldering in sockets and then just press-fitting the opamps into the sockets.
Thank you and congratulations on your new quiet FR

I just ordered mine at Thomann GER, but as they are sold out I need to wait another couple of weeks till I get it.
Hope mine will have the "mod" right in the box already. :-)
I'll give feedback as soon as I know more...
My order is postponed till beginning March....oh well...

ICs come in many different packages. The FR-10/12 uses all classic DIP14 "through hole" parts:

screenshot-from-2024-01-05-02-35-17-png.16766

The problem with the proposed replacements is that they tend not to be available in this packaging; most are surface mount (SOIP14), which is much smaller - and requires an adapter to fit the preamp board:

Screenshot from 2024-01-05 02-37-47.png
pa0004_spl-jpg.13320

Sonically, there's zero difference between an IC available in both. It's just a matter of convenience.

Hmm, Sweetwater has changed the FR12 page from saying it is out of stock and they will get more soon to "Hot new item! Coming soon!"

I had my sweetwater sales guy talk to their fender rep during NAMM about if they were doing an update on the FR12 to help the hiss and he got this back from the fender rep:
Not all users are experiencing the hiss, nor bothered by it.

The Tone Master FR cabinets do have an inherent level of operating noise that is considered normal. It should not be an issue in typical use cases, especially when playing guitar or listening to music, as the noise floor doesn’t change and is well below the audio output signal level.

I had my sweetwater sales guy talk to their fender rep during NAMM about if they were doing an update on the FR12 to help the hiss and he got this back from the fender rep:
I doubt the fender reps know anything at this point. Fender is keeping this fix pretty damn quiet so I'd be surprised if any communication has been sent down far enough yet that it would end up with retailers.

Just got another new FR-12 direct from Fender; took a peek inside and there are no mods, they are still using TL084s so the hiss is the same. Fortunately I have plenty of solder wick, turned pin sockets and OPA4227PA opamps so the hiss will be gone in a couple of hours!
Really not meaning to offend, but could @stilwel possibly relay this matter further into their company?

Official information/acknowledgement would be awesome.

Where do we go from here?

Really not meaning to offend, but could @stilwel possibly relay this matter further into their company?

Official information/acknowledgement would be awesome.

Where do we go from here?
When I spoke to Fender Europe in December they did not (would not?)acknowledge there was any hiss issue, they said it was “within normal” and also that they were not modding any units.

When I spoke to Fender Europe in December they did not (would not?)acknowledge there was any hiss issue, they said it was “within normal” and also that they were not modding any units.
Yeah I know, that's either misinformation or just a lie, but I'd guess it's the first, rather than the latter.

Back