Fellow Reverb sellers. Verifying payment?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I just sold something on Reverb and the person is from Uzbekistan but wants me to ship to DE USA. Reverb is telling me not to ship yet as they are verifying payment still. I have never seen this happen and it's making me a little uneasy.

Does this seem weird to you? I wonder if I can bail on the transaction?

1692708569031.png

I've seen the "verifying this payment" thing quite a bit. It is normal, AFAICT. It usually takes a few minutes to resolve within the US & Canada. I would just wait to see what the verification outcome is. It might be slower because they need to connect to a foreign payment system?

Can't comment on the Uzbekistan thing though! I've never had to deal with that before.

I've seen the "verifying this payment" thing quite a bit. It is normal, AFAICT. It usually takes a few minutes to resolve within the US & Canada. I would just wait to see what the verification outcome is. It might be slower because they need to connect to a foreign payment system?

Can't comment on the Uzbekistan thing though! I've never had to deal with that before.

Yeah it's quite a few hours old as he bought it while I was sleeping last night. I'll give it a little bit and see if it goes through.

I just sold something on Reverb and the person is from Uzbekistan but wants me to ship to DE USA. Reverb is telling me not to ship yet as they are verifying payment still. I have never seen this happen and it's making me a little uneasy.

View attachment 10152
The verified payment thing is not uncommon.

I sold a PRRI to a dude that was pretending to be from somewhere stateside (Philly I think?). He was supper demand about how I pack the amp for shipment in order to avoid broken tubes. Mildly annoying but nothing that out of the ordinary. Shipped it. Tracking said it made it to destination. Mum from buyer. Reached out to him and he was all "oh, yeah, I'm on Holiday for a few weeks." Googled the address and it was a business that specialized in shipping stuff to Russia that was purchased in US. Looked more deeply into buyer and it was clear he was actually based out of Russia.

I wanna say I emailed Reverb customer support just to make sure I had a paper trail with basically "Hey, I've got my money, the item has been received at the address I was told by Reverb to ship it to, dude now says he's on Holiday for a few weeks and also appears to actually be in Russia and using a third party vendor to ship it to him in Russia. I can't be on the hook for anything wrong with this at this point." I think I got a reply from Reverb kinda sorta saying I was correct but also leaving the door open enough to not make me feel at all comfortable until I FINALLY got positive feedback from dude like 5-6 weeks after I shipped.

I imagine you could probably easily cancel the order through Reverb if you show "hey, dude is in a different country but asking me to ship to this DE address. This is against your rules."

View attachment 10152
Put another way, I wouldn't worry about getting paid (Reverb isn't going to clear you to ship until they have money in hand. I mean, Reverb is basically in the business of being an escrow account and holding our money for several days at a time while charging us fees for the "opportunity" to have them do so). I would worry about it getting half-way across the world not looking anything like it looked when it arrived in DE and the guy asking for a refund.

Just wait till you get the verified email. Pack well and use Reverb safe shipping.
This.

I always use Reverb safe shipping. Had UPS use a Warlock I sold as a spear, destroying an otherwise nearly perfect guitar. Reverb paid me back as soon as I had a repair estimate. I had to jump thru a few hoops, but ultimately ended up with the damaged guitar, my money back and the ability to fix it and resell it. In the end, I was up about $200 for the hassle of it all.

Just wait till you get the verified email. Pack well and use Reverb safe shipping.

Agreed. Always use Reverb safe shipping unless you're okay with losing the item and money.

I had an overseas buyer use a clearing house shipper for a pair of vintage T Top pickups that sold for about $500. Shipped them with Reverb safe shipping which required signature. They were delivered and signed for, then a few weeks later the buyer claimed he never received them. Reverb pulled the money out of my account per their policy, but then a few days later reimbursed me the full amount as I had used the safe shipping option.

Basically, any time a buyer wants to scam you they can, because any sales site will always side with the buyer. Doesn't matter if there's signature for delivery or photographic proof or anything. But if you have seller protection Reverb will back you up.

I roll the dice on sales under $200, but for the bigger stuff I always use the safe shipping option.

Back