FAS Shred Boost

I like the full size one, actually. I am sure the mini is great. Full size can act as a volume but also my paranoia of mini pedals (completely in my head and unfounded other than my Morley Mini experience) has me thinking the full size would be best for wah.

:unsure:
@DrewJD82 you have the FAS exp's right? How are they for wah? Good on the sweep?

Man, I miss so many times I’m tagged in posts, my bad!

I’m a little bitch when it comes to wah/expression; if it’s not a Dunlop-style pedal for wah I won’t use it. I have the full size Fractal EV’s and there’s definitely plenty of sweep in there. Actually, even with the Mission Eng. I’m using for wahs, I dial back the range of the sweep in the Fractal units because it’s wider than I’m used to. You can tweak the sh*t out of where the frequency sweep occurs.

Man, I miss so many times I’m tagged in posts, my bad!

I’m a little b*tch when it comes to wah/expression; if it’s not a Dunlop-style pedal for wah I won’t use it. I have the full size Fractal EV’s and there’s definitely plenty of sweep in there. Actually, even with the Mission Eng. I’m using for wahs, I dial back the range of the sweep in the Fractal units because it’s wider than I’m used to. You can tweak the sh*t out of where the frequency sweep occurs.
No worries. Only thing I am possibly thinking is lke you said; the sweep might be a bit too much for a wah? I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a used one if I can.

No worries. Only thing I am possibly thinking is lke you said; the sweep might be a bit too much for a wah? I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a used one if I can.

Yeah, I just went back and forth on both of them and the travel feels like it’s almost double on the Fractal than the Mission. The feel factor is the big thing for me as well; the Fractal feels like a tank version of an Ernie Ball volume pedal, it’s been a while since I’ve stepped on one of those but I’d be willing to bet the Fractal has a bit more tension on it. Makes it perfect for expression stuff but doesn’t feel anything like a Crybaby or a Morley.

The spring-loaded Mission Engineering for wah is mucho :chef

Yeah, I just went back and forth on both of them and the travel feels like it’s almost double on the Fractal than the Mission. The feel factor is the big thing for me as well; the Fractal feels like a tank version of an Ernie Ball volume pedal, it’s been a while since I’ve stepped on one of those but I’d be willing to bet the Fractal has a bit more tension on it. Makes it perfect for expression stuff but doesn’t feel anything like a Crybaby or a Morley.

I have a Morley mini. It's "fine". But not exactly what I want. Such an unexciting purchase :oops:

I agree, I have the Mission one with the switch for my Stomp XL, and I just use an elastic wristband to turn it into a "spring loaded" pedal when I use it with my Helix Floor, makes ALL the difference for wah.

• Hmm
Reactions: JT

Sorry noob question, i am planning on buying the FAS FV1 is not suited to do both as a wah or an expression?
i do mostly use an expression pedal for parameter control like gain, delay etc, but i also like to occasionally use it as a wah
i also dont want 2 separate pedals id like to have one with best of both worlds, if at all possible
any possible recommendations?

Sorry noob question, i am planning on buying the FAS FV1 is not suited to do both as a wah or an expression?
i do mostly use an expression pedal for parameter control like gain, delay etc, but i also like to occasionally use it as a wah
i also dont want 2 separate pedals id like to have one with best of both worlds, if at all possible
any possible recommendations?

You can certainly use it for wah and plenty do, but I’m practically at Kirk Hammett levels of wah use and I strongly prefer having a Crybaby-style pedal for just wah. IMO, there no perfect mix of both because the sweep that makes a pedal efficient for being an expression pedal is wider than a wah pedal’s sweep. But I’m a picky little bitch, so there’s that.

How was your experience with drive blocks from the FM9 in front of the amp?

It was great. I love Fractal drives. I used the Timmy or SD1 and sometimes the King Of Tone or Marshall BB ("Blues OD").

The FM9 in 4cm in general is killer and the best I've ever heard or tried for that, in terms of digital multi-effects. I love it and have no issues with it, other than size, weight and total-overkill factor for my needs (if not using the amp modelling), as well as its price vs vulnerability being placed on a floor surrounded by drunk bar patrons sloshing liquids around.

However, I will say, there is something to having just analog drives in front of an amp in terms of touch and response, etc.

It's actually been a long time (years) since I haven't had an HXFX/Stomp/FM3/FM9, either in front of, or in 4cm, with my amp. Any real drives were always in front of those units or in their loops. But having just a few analog pedals in front does have an immediacy/tactile response that is pretty sweet. It's also great to be able to quickly reach down and turn a knob when needed.

When I had the Hot Rod Deluxe kicking around I had my FM9 in front of it and had fun playing with the drives. I think that’s initially when I discovered that pulling some mids out of those drives got them sounding a lot more like what they were modeled after, but that might just be a thing with me and mids.

Back