FAS Shred Boost

Even @Baba is looking to try an FM3 now…

And they’d have to be in stock. 😔

F24035FB-8BDB-4B4D-A70F-37502C254705.jpeg

For me, it's total FOMO. I don't even use modeling right now, I'm stuck on those glass bottles, BUT, and as much as I may gripe about wait lists, resale values and whatnot, damn near every demo sounds GREAT. Let's not kid ourselves into saying that their units are just "okay", the modeling and tones are stellar.

Because I haven't had one, in my hands, I feel like once I do, it might just change everything.

Having said THAT, maybe not, because, I'm a "find that ONE amp that does it" kind of guy, I'm extremely picky, and I've never even owned most of the amps that usually get modeled. My favorite real world amps are kind of strange birds. H&K's, Riveras, Peaveys and the like.

I did have a chance to play that Cameron model tho . . . :whistle

For me, it's total FOMO. I don't even use modeling right now, I'm stuck on those glass bottles, BUT, and as much as I may gripe about wait lists, resale values and whatnot, damn near every demo sounds GREAT. Let's not kid ourselves into saying that their units are just "okay", the modeling and tones are stellar.

Because I haven't had one, in my hands, I feel like once I do, it might just change everything.

Having said THAT, maybe not, because, I'm a "find that ONE amp that does it" kind of guy, I'm extremely picky, and I've never even owned most of the amps that usually get modeled. My favorite real world amps are kind of strange birds. H&K's, Riveras, Peaveys and the like.

I did have a chance to play that Cameron model tho . . . :whistle
Modelling for me is where its at no FOMO, If i could keep both Helix and Have a FM9 i would but I cant and based on what I need the Fractal with those Blocks and Channels are just what I need, will the amps sound better than my Helix ? dunno maybe, but im sure ill need to tweak less
and I do know that i can make it work and it will sound amazing

Yes, same here re. finding the one amp that does it.

I've played the same amp for the past six years, and the one before that for seven years (Mesa Electra Dyne, Marshall Vintage Modern). Once I love an amp, I really love it and don't want to change it. And those are somewhat oddball amps that haven't been modelled by Fractal (or anyone, that I know of), so I've gone from model to model with my FM9, really liking a few but always wondering what else there is.

However, I've recently gone nuts over the Cornford MK50 model and easily
like it as much as the Dyne and VM, so I may have just found my “forever amp” with Fractal.

But yeah, if you're the type that needs to really connect with one specific amp and it's not modelled, it can be tricky.

What amp(s) did you use on the Helix?

Yes, same here re. finding the one amp that does it.

I've played the same amp for the past six years, and the one before that for seven years (Mesa Electra Dyne, Marshall Vintage Modern). Once I love an amp, I really love it and don't want to change it. And those are somewhat oddball amps that haven't been modelled by Fractal (or anyone, that I know of), so I've gone from model to model with my FM9, really liking a few but always wondering what else there is.

However, I've recently gone nuts over the Cornford MK50 model and easily
like it as much as the Dyne and VM, so I may have just found my “forever amp” with Fractal.

But yeah, if you're the type that needs to really connect with one specific amp and it's not modelled, it can be tricky.

What amp(s) did you use on the Helix?
The Placater or Badonk seem to be my favorites. I’m not extremely picky with clean, although I like pairing a Fender Deluxe, set clean with a big 4x12 cabinet. I like the chime of the Deluxe mixed with a nice round bottom.

Not Shred switch specific but related so chucking it in here anyway.

Humbusters incoming. Did some testing with the FM into the BL effects return into my 112s. Variac mode was better than Bold as there is a bit more bluntness to it when Bold is selected. I actually preferred my Camplifier to the BL for this purpose but it can't power multiple cabs.

Set up 4cm with the BL and it is great for this purpose. I am still thinking of using an external Wah but external power required for it is keeping that idea at bay for now.

Not Shred switch specific but related so chucking it in here anyway.

Humbusters incoming. Did some testing with the FM into the BL effects return into my 112s. Variac mode was better than Bold as there is a bit more bluntness to it when Bold is selected. I actually preferred my Camplifier to the BL for this purpose but it can't power multiple cabs.

Set up 4cm with the BL and it is great for this purpose. I am still thinking of using an external Wah but external power required for it is keeping that idea at bay for now.

I wish Fractal sold Humbusters in 20 ft lengths. 30 ft is way too long for me and 15 is a bit short. I have 15 ft ones and use them at home, but at practice or gigs I just use regular TS for 4cm.

I'm probably going to try the FM9 + ISP Stealth + Mesa cab at practice this week, and maybe even at a gig at the end of the week, we'll see. Cornford MK50 is really doing it for me at home, love that model.

Have you tried the Fractal wahs much? I love the Crybaby, after setting it's min/max to match my real EVH wah.

I wish Fractal sold Humbusters in 20 ft lengths. 30 ft is way too long for me and 15 is a bit short. I have 15 ft ones and use them at home, but at practice or gigs I just use regular TS for 4cm.

I'm probably going to try the FM9 + ISP Stealth + Mesa cab at practice this week, and maybe even at a gig at the end of the week, we'll see. Cornford MK50 is really doing it for me at home, love that model.

Have you tried the Fractal wahs much? I love the Crybaby, after setting it's min/max to match my real EVH wah.
Let me know on that ISP. I got some 15ft in route. 30 is too much for 90% of our gigs. On the wahs; I have. I need to revisit because it's an overcomplication that would be great to get rid of if possible.

Let me know on that ISP. I got some 15ft in route. 30 is too much for 90% of our gigs. On the wahs; I have. I need to revisit because it's an overcomplication that would be great to get rid of if possible.

As much as I love the EVH wah, I don't know if I'll ever go back to a real wah again. So heavy and big and noisy. The DVP4 mini is light and easy to deal with, love it. And the Fractal wahs are so good, there's no compromise in sound in any way.

Maybe if I ever go back to a real pedals in front + Stomp in loop setup, I'll break out the EVH again, which is why I'm reluctant to sell it. I've kept it + a handful of my favourite pedals in case I ever do switch back.

Last edited:
As much as I love the EVH wah, I don't know if I'll ever go back to a real wah again. So heavy and big and noisy. The DVP4 mini is light and easy to deal with, love it. And the Fractal wahs are so good, there's no comprise in sound in any way.

Maybe if I ever go back to a real pedals in front + Stomp in loop setup, I'll break out the EVH again, which is why I'm reluctant to sell it. I've kept it + a handful of my favourite pedals in case I ever do switch back.
I wonder how the FAS expression pedals do for wah duty? I have my Boss EV which I like for other control purposes. The Morley mini I have is good for non-precise things but I have gotten tired of it's short sweep. I ended up bringing the Devin wah/volume blocks into my 4cm preset and that sounds a little more natural to me at high volumes.

I wonder how the FAS expression pedals do for wah duty? I have my Boss EV which I like for other control purposes. The Morley mini I have is good for non-precise things but I have gotten tired of it's short sweep. I ended up bringing the Devin wah/volume blocks into my 4cm preset and that sounds a little more natural to me at high volumes.

Funny, I was just wondering about the Fractal expression pedals the other day, particularly the mini one.

If I ever go full-modeller and subsequently maybe downsize to the FM3, I'd probably grab one, too.

Funny, I was just wondering about the Fractal expression pedals the other day, particularly the mini one.

If I ever go full-modeller and subsequently maybe downsize to the FM3, I'd probably grab one, too.
I like the full size one, actually. I am sure the mini is great. Full size can act as a volume but also my paranoia of mini pedals (completely in my head and unfounded other than my Morley Mini experience) has me thinking the full size would be best for wah.

:unsure:
@DrewJD82 you have the FAS exp's right? How are they for wah? Good on the sweep?

I like the full size one, actually. I am sure the mini is great. Full size can act as a volume but also my paranoia of mini pedals (completely in my head and unfounded other than my Morley Mini experience) has me thinking the full size would be best for wah.

:unsure:
@DrewJD82 you have the FAS exp's right? How are they for wah? Good on the sweep?

Oh for sure, I'd imagine the full size is best. I don't use a lot of wah and can adjust to the mini, although it does require adapting to it. But having a mini allows me to fit my Mic Mechanic right above it, beside the FM9 and it all fits perfectly on my PT Classic 2.

From what ive read if going for separate amp and cab of your choice, matrix amplifiers seem to be a good price performance ratio
Stereo or Bridged Mono

gt800fx_new_march2013.jpg

Back