FAS Echorec patch?

jellodog

Rock Star
I'm wondering if any of you are enjoying an Echorec-like patch or can point to settings to get something in the musical / pleasing ballpark with a recent version of the firmware.

I'm guessing that I could mess about with the Multitap Delay myself, but I'm hoping that someone can save me an hour or two of fiddling about with that and spending time going down a rabbit hole (which is sometimes fun, but not this week - I just want to play). And anyway, I've not got a source machine to compare it to!

I do have a Volante, but I'm seeing how much I can keep it ✨ ITB ✨ with the FM9.

Given @DrewJD82's Gilmour obssession interests, I'm guessing that he might have something to say about this.

Last edited:
Oh man you need to keep the volante!! I have delays all over the place in helix, zoia, chase bliss blooper/mood/habit, boss sy-300, boss dd-500, meris lvx and the warmth and sound you get from the volante is just... (although i love all the others ones too)

Chefs Kiss Yummy In My Tummy GIF by Nick Jonas

@BROCKSTAR Don't worry. I've no plans to get rid of the Volante - it's just superb sounding. And in my mind, it's already a classic. It's on the "never sell" list. I LOVE the magnetic drum mode with the mechanics turned up a little bit to add some sweet modulation. It just sounds so rich and beautiful.

In the same manner that the Mesa Badlander is the notionally "official amp" of TGF, I'd make the Volante the official delay of TGF 🙂

I have 2 modes of playing: When I'm playing my real amp (Princeton), I use the Volante. But I also like to use the FM9 and have everything ITB with no extra cables and all the usual benefits associated with that, as well as the ability to pick it all up and move it with zero hassle.

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I also enjoy to seeing how far the in-built FAS effects can be tweaked and bent towards a desired sound; and I can learn from how other people have achieved that.

Last edited:
Take your favorite Volante sounds and see if you can replicate them with the Multitap Delay block. I found it to be a bit of a chore but it is possible.

You might need to add some stuff to the feedback loop of the delay, and it will be tedious, but you should be able to get pretty close. Maybe someone has a patch to share though. Leon’s is a cool sound, but doesn’t really sound like an echorec to me.

D

@laxu @dk_ace Thanks.

Yes, I'm sure I could do it with enough experimentation; but I was hoping to shortcut the process, so I can just have fun playing today.

🤔 I suppose the Echorec was just a point of departure - I may find other sounds that are equally pleasing anyway. Going to have a _very_ late breakfast and then fire up the FM9 for some fun... not matter what the approach ends up being (y)

One would think I’d have the Binson stuff tackled already, but my Gilmour tone fascination is with his 80’s/90’s live tones, so I’m often just using the 2290 setting to cover that stuff.

Honestly, I’m not the biggest fan of tape delay, I don’t like the wobbling because it ends up sounding like chorus and I can’t stand chorus on distorted tones, overall. I think I have the Carbon Copy block loaded in a preset or two, but that’s as far into that as I’ve gotten….and it’s not even a real tape delay!

One would think I’d have the Binson stuff tackled already, but my Gilmour tone fascination is with his 80’s/90’s live tones, so I’m often just using the 2290 setting to cover that stuff.

Honestly, I’m not the biggest fan of tape delay, I don’t like the wobbling because it ends up sounding like chorus and I can’t stand chorus on distorted tones, overall. I think I have the Carbon Copy block loaded in a preset or two, but that’s as far into that as I’ve gotten….and it’s not even a real tape delay!
Luckily an Echorec isn't a tape delay! ;)

@DrewJD82 So you don't like Echoes, live at Pompeii? 😮

No Way Disbelief GIF

(that 2290 sure is great though!)

I love listening to it, but not so much going for those tones for me self. Believe it or not, there was a point in time I said those pre-Animals era tones “sucked”

I know….I know….I still have the scars on my back from when I went all DaVinci Code on myself over it.

I love listening to it, but not so much going for those tones for me self. Believe it or not, there was a point in time I said those pre-Animals era tones “sucked”

I know….I know….I still have the scars on my back from when I went all DaVinci Code on myself over it.

Heh! I do appreciate that we are different people with different cultural backgrounds, and quite different tastes, but with some overlapping interests and common ground. It's all good. There's plenty of guitar tones that I enjoy that I would never consider dialling in for myself.

But you know... if you really honestly didn't like listening to Echoes at all, I'd find it _very_ hard to understand, given how much you looove those Cheetos.

Heh! I do appreciate that we are different people with different cultural backgrounds, and quite different tastes, but with some overlapping interests and common ground. It's all good. There's plenty of guitar tones that I enjoy that I would never consider dialling in for myself.

But you know... if you really honestly didn't like listening to Echoes at all, I'd find it _very_ hard to understand, given how much you looove those Cheetos.

Hahahah I love “Echoes”, it’s just not my favorite Gilmour tone era. I want to say we attempted covering it in my old prog metal band but we probably just kept playing the main riff over and over for 20 minutes without actually learning the song. We didn’t even have a keyboard player, I just said “Ding……….Ding…..” into the mic. :rofl

Back