EVH5150III - just give us two blue channels ffs!!

Eh, I do like the green channel. Or do you mean a three channel amp still, with a green and two blues? That’d be cool.
I’d love a 50w 5150III with just a green and a blue, with a WAY lower noise floor. See Mesa for example. Even the blue channel on the 5150 needs a noise gate.

I had a 5153 6L6 for awhile and have to admit I only used the red channel unboosted. I eventually got rid of it cause it felt a little sterile compared to the other amps I was running at the time but looking back maybe its because I only used the red channel? :unsure:

I had a 5153 6L6 for awhile and have to admit I only used the red channel unboosted. I eventually got rid of it cause it felt a little sterile compared to the other amps I was running at the time but looking back maybe its because I only used the red channel? :unsure:
So for me, I always found it to be too much. The blue channel has the low-end 'British' bollocks that I like (oooo errr missus!) but the red channel seemed thin in comparison and quite strident with high treble and presence settings.

Even with the gain around 9 o'clock, still felt it needed more cajones!

the red channel seemed thin in comparison and quite strident with high treble and presence settings.
Exactly this... this was why I got rid of mine. When I got my first amp switcher I was a/b'ing and it just didn't make sense to keep. It wasn't bad bad but my other amps just felt better for me.

Yeah yeah exactly, three channels still. But lose the red channel, one green, two blues. Can boost the blue to get f*****g GREAT lead tones, red is not required!
Yeah the red is useless. To me anyway. It’s so goddamned noisy and way too compressed.

I would have gotten the little LBXII with green and blue, but allegedly the blue isn’t the same and isn’t as good :(

Dual Blues is all I'd want. And actually; single blue that I could roll off with guitar volume knob would be just fine.

The red channel is awesome on my Kruse modded version but I would agree with the op for stock models.

Great amp, but the red channel is stupidly overgained. I'd much rather have the green channel and two blue channels, what say ye!?! Can we change the world?! Can we f**k!!

I felt the same way about the original block letter 5150. 2 Rhythm-Crunch Channels please.

Eddie must have been on an Yngwie more is more kick when those amps were designed.

So for me, I always found it to be too much. The blue channel has the low-end 'British' bollocks that I like (oooo errr missus!) but the red channel seemed thin in comparison and quite strident with high treble and presence settings.

Even with the gain around 9 o'clock, still felt it needed more cajones!

Yup. Overcompressed is overcompressed. It does "squash" the tone and flatten all the dynamics.

Dual Blues is all I'd want. And actually; single blue that I could roll off with guitar volume knob would be just fine.

That's exactly what the Rhythm-Crunch Channel is on the OOG 5150. I never used the Lead channel. Ever!
or the Clean. Just stay on the Crunch and I could get 10 wonderful shades of dirt.

It reacted like a Marshall Plexi to volume changes and dynamics but had more girth. Yes, girth. :)

Makes me wonder what the Reissue version of that amp is like. Anybody play one yet?

This review of the Iconic 5150 makes me want one.

"I got one recently and put a demo video on YouTube pushing it with a BOSS SD1 and Precision Drive by Demon FX. All I can say is this amp lives up to everything I wanted in a hot-rodded tone. It sounds more like a Soldano then a Marshall to me and I've owned both trying to chase and copy Eddy's tones.

If you're into tons of mid frequencies with plenty of balance at both upper and lower frequencies than this is the 5150 amp to get.

I've also owned the first-generation Fender EVHiii in a 100-watt form and this amp isn't the same as that one...This isn't as compressed in the gain stages which is exactly how Eddy sounded in the early days. It has tons of gain, but it's not compressed, and I proved it using two overdrive pedals pushing both channels in my demo.

Check it out on YouTube if you think I'm crazy, let your ears hear the difference."

I wonder if it’s possible to do a tube swap (lower gain on one) or mod to tame the red channel…

This review of the Iconic 5150 makes me want one.

"I got one recently and put a demo video on YouTube pushing it with a BOSS SD1 and Precision Drive by Demon FX. All I can say is this amp lives up to everything I wanted in a hot-rodded tone. It sounds more like a Soldano then a Marshall to me and I've owned both trying to chase and copy Eddy's tones.

If you're into tons of mid frequencies with plenty of balance at both upper and lower frequencies than this is the 5150 amp to get.

I've also owned the first-generation Fender EVHiii in a 100-watt form and this amp isn't the same as that one...This isn't as compressed in the gain stages which is exactly how Eddy sounded in the early days. It has tons of gain, but it's not compressed, and I proved it using two overdrive pedals pushing both channels in my demo.

Check it out on YouTube if you think I'm crazy, let your ears hear the difference."
The Iconic is the newer affordable hybrid one, right? The clips have sounded quite good.

I owned the Stealth 6L6 and agree with everything here. I found the clean channel to be deceptively ok, (For a 5150) and the blue channel to be awesome. The red channel was thoroughly unusable unless you were doing some really low drop tuning.

Last edited:
My "go to" is the Blue channel but with no boost I also like the Red as a different feel. I also always use a EQ on either of them {guys from other forums know my rap on this) and if you have an EVH and have not tried this, do yourself a solid and give it a go. Many great amps from VHT to Mesa put them in the head for a reason.

I’ve seen it online in a couple places where a simple tube swap at one of the preamp tube stages ‘fixes’ the Red channel.
That was exactly my thought and hope! Gonna do some research and roll in a few to check it out.
I have a 50w 6L6 and LBX “that’s just dying to meet you! We gonna bring a case of wine.
Hey, let’s go mess and fool around… You know, like we used to.”

Last edited:
Back