EVH5150III - just give us two blue channels ffs!!

Different opinion here: I had a 6L6 and ran it through an EVH 2x12, and I found the blue channel "honky".

I was all set for the holy grail tone I had been reading about, but it was just too honky for me. Maybe I just don't like it, but I wasn't exactly pleased with Wolfie's tone at the Hawkins' tribute either. His playing was phenomenal.

Different opinion here: I had a 6L6 and ran it through an EVH 2x12, and I found the blue channel "honky".

I was all set for the holy grail tone I had been reading about, but it was just too honky for me. Maybe I just don't like it, but I wasn't exactly pleased with Wolfie's tone at the Hawkins' tribute either. His playing was phenomenal.
Yeah I was like "hey it's the bass player from Van Halen" to "Oh :oops: :love "

Maybe down to the cab???

That’s why I put 65 watt Creambacks in my EVH 2X12. The stock Celestion® G12H 30W Annivesary Series speakers aren’t my first choice at all.

TGFers: Either be a man and face the gain of the mighty can-do-death-metal-on-one EVH Red channel or go back to your Badlanders. For reference; EVH's personal 100S live settings 'starred' one was his main amp:
jibVeTeNATnwXSHKbcQ2vD-1200-80.jpg.webp

I assume he was playing mostly Van Halen covers.

Last edited:
He used too much gain later on, too. His tone got more saturated, compressed, mushy, and less articulate.

To my ears.

#notevenalittlesorryEddie

RIP

Dad rock.
More like who's your daddy rock. And the Red channel gain is at 2 O'clock. :love If you want two Blue Channels get two amps. Then you have two red channels at your disposal if you ever need to, like, defend yourself, on stage. Win win.

• Love
Reactions: JT
TGFers: Either be a man and face the gain of the mighty can-do-death-metal-on-one EVH Red channel or go back to your Badlanders. For reference; EVH's personal 100S live settings 'starred' one was his main amp:
jibVeTeNATnwXSHKbcQ2vD-1200-80.jpg.webp

I assume he was playing mostly Van Halen covers.

Eddie “Don’t Be A P***y” Van Halen

the blue channel varies a fair bit amp to amp, the EVH models have all basically evolved over time so the OG 100W blue channel is different to the OG 50W. I always found the blue to be the sweet spot (on the OG amp and also the later Stealth circuits) but the red has a particular quality to it that all of Van Halen’s lead tones have (lots of gain and attack). The Stealth/EL34 blue channels have a great range of gain, the original one is just a hair soft on the gain I like (but it takes pedals much better than the red channel).

Just put a 5851 in V3 of the LBX which is dedicated to red or the equivalent in other 5153s.

Done. You end up with one blue and one slightly blue+ channel. Perfect for me. Tames noise and fizz in red too.

I loved the blue channel on my Stealth, but couldn’t stand the red channel. Easily explained though, I’m not Eddie Van Halen. :ROFLMAO:

Back