Everyone is excited about Portnoy being back, but….

I'm not sure I should admit this here... but I've never listened to a full DT album.

I was a fan, but probably didn't either,,
In July of 2008 my 20 yr old daughter was killed on my father's B'day.. I made it thru the massive burial ceremony with out cracking.. When I got home and had time alone that night, I ran across this.. and the flood gates opened.. RIP Erika:cry:

Last edited:
The most recent clip of Mike playing some Dream Theater. Haven't yet finished it, but he said something very interesting when discussing his remaining commitments for the new year: "I have a gig with Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony." Hmmm

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t been in a band with Sammy yet. Two dudes who seemed to have played with everyone but somehow not each other.

The most recent clip of Mike playing some Dream Theater. Haven't yet finished it, but he said something very interesting when discussing his remaining commitments for the new year: "I have a gig with Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony." Hmmm

Makes me wonder if Jason Bonham had some prior commitments, and Mike is going to sub for him at some of the shows.

Portnoy plays Nickleback:

I saw that earlier, but hadn't had a chance to watch it. If it had been, say, Anesthetize, by Porcupine Tree, I probably would've watched it right away!

Oh, check him out! He's got a Captain Fantastic shirt on!! Too cool!

It was cool but I felt they could have given him something more interesting than that. I guess the idea was that he was going to overplay all over it, but I think he’s pretty good at throwing the crazier playing where it belongs. Winery Dogs is a perfect example of that. He doesn’t really go for it unless Billy or Ritchie are.

I would have loved to see his take on a modern metal tune, but it‘s also probably pretty hard to find something he’s completely unaware of.

I'm excited. I've purchased all the Dream Theater albums (but not the bootlegs or ones where they cover other bands' albums) but the ones where Portnoy wasn't the drummer - I probably listened to each of them a single time, if I even made it through the entire albums.

But the Portnoy era - those I've listened to time and time again. Each one different but enjoyable to me.

Don't know what it is but once he left I just didn't really like what they put out. Just seemed "same-y" to me and all blurred together or just seemed like long runs of exercises and not really "songs".

I'm excited. I've purchased all the Dream Theater albums (but not the bootlegs or ones where they cover other bands' albums) but the ones where Portnoy wasn't the drummer - I probably listened to each of them a single time, if I even made it through the entire albums.

But the Portnoy era - those I've listened to time and time again. Each one different but enjoyable to me.

Don't know what it is but once he left I just didn't really like what they put out. Just seemed "same-y" to me and all blurred together or just seemed like long runs of exercises and not really "songs".
My somewhat educated guess...

First off, Portnoy pretty much drove that bus. I'm sure he was very involved in the songwriting & arranging, and he also handled production along with John. He leaves, and his influence on how the songs came together was also lost, and it shows.

Back in the studio: :pickle:banana:headbang

LaBrie be dusting off that Auto-Tune plug-in those pipes.

Back