Dreams come true. Even while waiting for a refund

Animated GIF

I recently heard a clip comparing the Road King II to the VII and I really liked the Road King which I previously hadn't listened to. I've said a zillion times that you can't really judge an amp by clips because the end result is determined by how the player dialed the amp in more than anything else. Tones for playing at home alone vs. how an amp performs in a band where it needs to cut is also something you don't hear in clips.

For those with experience with them, how would you compare the gain tones of the Road King II to the VII and Badlander. How about the cleans?

I've seen comments that the Road King II can be complicated to dial in. For those who have, is this a real PITA or just something you have to do?

Gain tones are highly subjective and there's no "one is better than the other" only what you like more but objectively the gain tones can be compared in terms of tightness, compression, bottom end, harmonics, sustain, etc.

I liked what I heard on the Road King clip but clips are far from definitive.

If it is the clip by a member here then yes I also vastly enjoyed the Road King or Roadster. The VII may but better in a mix tho with it's treble seeming to come through more

It's the clip below.

The Mark VII sounds killer, I'd love to have one. I'd just never heard the Road King before and was curious about it.

Edit: I just noticed that the Road King has a gain pedal in front of it. Not really an apples to apples comparison. The fact that it needs a gain pedal to be comparable to the VII says something.

Last edited:
Back