Done with FX loops

Achilles

Rock Star
I'd been switching back and forth between heads with delay in the FX loop and pre-amps where it goes after everything.
Bit of a pain re-routing wires each time so yesterday I tried using the delay after the heads too.

guitar > amp > reactive load > delay > rack amp > cab

Not sure why I didn't do this sooner - it's definitely a major benefit if you're re-amping and I think it actually sounds better.
The best part? Heads without built in loops are now in play - I'd always just ignored them in the past.

Cool beans!

Last edited:
I ran everything in front of my amps for decades until the online guitar intelligentsia told me I was wrong and made me question everything. :ROFLMAO:

I do all the studio style effects chaining with my modelers, but for amps I generally just run everything into the front again.

A lot of amps have poorly designed / implemented effects loops that don't gain stage well and that color the sound. Even a well implemented effects loop is a compromise solution for getting cleaner sounding time based effects similar to how they sound when applied to the post signal in a studio setup. Applying the delay post reactive load is a great way to get a studio sounding delay on live guitar.

I avoid parallel loops like the plague and have generally had good experiences with the loops on the amps I've owned, but most of them have been designed this century.

Designed this century.

Soldano gets cut slack for the terrible loops on the old SLOs but what was the deal with Bogner and the 3534? Took them multiple revisions to get it right. The first release was terrible if you remember.

All the amps I've gotten from brands introduced this century have all had excellent loops.

Soldano gets cut slack for the terrible loops on the old SLOs but what was the deal with Bogner and the 3534? Took them multiple revisions to get it right. The first release was terrible if you remember.

All the amps I've gotten from brands introduced this century have all had excellent loops.
No idea about the Bogner. The Goldfinger 45 Superlead I owned (made before the 3534) had a well working loop, though it was a bit complicated since it had series/parallel, send and return levels. It also had a level switch where one position was fine and the lower level one was useless with anything I tried with it.

I mostly used a Helix Floor in its loop and as long as the loop level was matched well to the level with fx loop off, it was transparent.

No idea about the Bogner.

Was all over the forums a couple years back.

I hate loops with both send and return levels. The KSR Ares is like that and one of the more minor reasons I'm moving it.
It's like I immediately get OCD and can't settle on where to set each one - stupid, but I can't help it.

Back