Do we need to talk about this new rehashed Katana turd?

I dig em. I snagged an Artist MKll when they were on sale which should pair nicely with my little 50 MKll. Haven’t had time yet to play with it until I begin my days off. The tone studio and all the effects make for a wide palette for just about anyone, just gotta take the time to do it…
Excited Ric Flair GIF

I have a Katana 50 MK1 and love it, for what it is. I'd bought one originally about a year ago and ended up giving it to a friend who did some custom work on two of my guitars for me. When I decided I wanted to replace that one, the MKII was out and I compared 'em, and bought a MKI. Wasn't really anything there on the II that warranted the extra $50.

However, I'm a one-trick pony whose old live rig consisted of a Boss SD1 into the front of a JCM900 sitting on two Carvin 412s. Never been the "50 shades of chorus/reverb/flanger" guy or any of that, primarily cause I'm just not a good enough player for those things. :rofl :idk

Looks like more cash grab from Boss. The 50w EX makes sense I guess, because I'm sure people want the smaller amp and want a way to control it. The Artist with the knobs on the front always looked gaudy to me. Now gaudy comes in head form. They really need to update the amps/modeling when they spit out the next revision later this year.

I like my Katana 100w mk2. I don't have many "real amps" to compare it to but I have a Helix with its amp models. I don't love the amp tones in the Kat, they "work" and can "get the job done" but 85% of the time they're not very inspiring to play. Some of the effects I find okay.. I like some of the drives and the fact that they all have a Bottom control to dial in/out bass. I like the chorus (for a guy who doesn't usually like that effect).

If the Kat didn't have a bunch of EQ options to tweak the amp models I wouldn't find them useful at all. I mainly use mine as a powered cab (with a G12M 65).

It’s a great utility amp… daily driver and beater. My Artist is A-OK with me. Just good enough if you dive in and make it your beyatch. Waza 100 watt “Greenback” is key IMO.
Of course it’s the fat girl at the bar compared to my Friedman, Mesa and EVH gear. But sometimes you have to go quick and easy on impromptu “jams” and “gigs.” Lower risk of damaging the core family.

The obvious pairing staring me in the face now that I have a GX-100 and a Katana at the same time, is hard to resist. Question will be 4 cable or direct to power amp in? I'm sure I will try both but if 1 cable instead of 3 sounds good going to amp then thats what I'm a fan of. My poor GAFC. it just sits there all lonely wondering when I will use it.

The obvious pairing staring me in the face now that I have a GX-100 and a Katana at the same time, is hard to resist. Question will be 4 cable or direct to power amp in? I'm sure I will try both but if 1 cable instead of 3 sounds good going to amp then thats what I'm a fan of. My poor GAFC. it just sits there all lonely wondering when I will use it.
Power amp or effects return unless you dig the Kat Preamps over the GX models

I wish Yamaha would have teamed up with Boss instead of Line 6. Better fit IMO.
I'd have to disagree - Boss is part of Roland, and there's a large overlap between Yamaha Music and Roland, whereas acquiring Line 6 filled a gap for Yamaha.

I'd have to disagree - Boss is part of Roland, and there's a large overlap between Yamaha Music and Roland, whereas acquiring Line 6 filled a gap for Yamaha.
Not business wise, tone and engineering wise. I believe Yamaha and Boss might create interesting products, Roland notwithstanding. Just a personal thought for me.

Back