DIO by Paul Gilbert

Love Dio with Sabbath he brought them to another level...

Keanu Reeves Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Yes, I should clarify: I really enjoy listening to Dio sing. He's huge in the tone/delivery/charisma department. I just find his vocal parts and songwriting pretty uninspiring.
I generally agree, though I'd count Holy Diver (the album) as an exception. Lots of big colorful, songs. (It's almost impossible to be objective about any album that dropped when you were 14 years old, though.)

Well i guess that's subjective of course, Heaven and Hell is amazing i think its some Iommi's best work guitar playing wise
Every song is amazing, i recall the premiere on our local radio and the first song was Neon Knights... man was i blown away i had never heard Iommi play that fast and heavy :idk

Last edited:
Well i guess that's subjective Heaven and Hell is amazing i think its some Iommi's best work guitar playing wise
Every song is amazing, i recall the premiere on our local radio and the first song ws Neon Knights... man was i blown away i had never heard Iommi play that fast and heavy :idk
Definitely subjective. Most people seem to think of Heaven and Hell as the iconic Dio Sabbath album, but I've always thought Mob Rules had much stronger songs, and heavier production, overall. Title track on Heaven and Hell is a great one, though. :)

Tony's always been been capable of speed, but he often turns in the same pentatonic trilling solo over and over again - sometimes near-identical solos on back-to-back songs LOL. I like it when you catch him playing some weird modality you wouldn't expect, or exhibiting precision you didn't know he had in him. There's a lot of that on SBS, like the closing lick on a National Acrobat (~6:10 in this version.) So yeah, can we just talk about Black Sabbath all day? ;)

Well i guess that's subjective Heaven and Hell is amazing i think its some Iommi's best work guitar playing wise
Every song is amazing, i recall the premiere on our local radio and the first song ws Neon Knights... man was i blown away i had never heard Iommi play that fast and heavy :idk

Yes, those albums are classics, for sure. I love them too and can remember seeing the Neon Knights video on "Midweek Metal Mania" as a kid and loving it. :beer

I guess to me those albums are a "different level," but not "another level," as the term is usually used to mean something better/a higher level, etc.

However they did certainly ignite/reinvigorate Sabbath in comparison to the end days with Ozzy.

Yes, I find I listen to Mob Rules more these days than H&H. Something about just connects with me more. Seems like more developed songwriting, maybe?
I'm an Ozzy Sabbath guy, of course (love all the '70s stuff; have an almost unhealthy fixation on Sabotage in particular) but Mob Rules is very special IMO.

Tony with a killer 4 bar solo right here:

Answering my own question visa vis talking about Sabbath all day. :rofl

I greatly prefer Ozzy-era Sabbath. They were just more diverse all around, imo. And diverse in a good way, which usually isn't the case for metal usually. Listening to that Country Girl song and Dio is basically just parroting the guitar part on the verses. I think his vocals were much more technically capable obviously but in some way; it pigeon holed them MORE because of that fact.

Listening to that Country Girl song and Dio is basically just parroting the guitar part on the verses.

To be fair, Ozzy did that, too (Iron Man, Paranoid, etc). He laughingly said it was his last resort if he couldn't come up with something different to complement the riff.

That being said, I think some (many) of Iommi's riffs are such strong melodic hooks on their own (Country Girl and Iron Man, for example) that the singer's left without much choice but to double/reinforce it.

It's a topic I find super interesting as most/all of my own original material involves coming up with a vocal part that works with an already-written guitar part (and none of it is anywhere near as good as Sabbath of course, haha :grin).

Iommi is the Godfather :chef
Legend. Last time I was in the same room with him is the reason I can't sing anymore. Such a sense of history. "TOOOOOONYYYYYYYY!!!!!"

(That was Saturday night. On Sunday night Melvins rolled into town. I "sang" along. And then I literally couldn't speak for a week. :facepalm)

Back