DIO by Paul Gilbert

I. LOVE. PAUL. GILBERT. When he is not doing that crap-a$$ Mr. Big poodle hair vocal garbage. Racer-X or solo stuff ftw \m/
Yeah, he’s awesome. My wife got me a VIP Meet & Greet a couple years ago at one of his concerts. We hing out for sound check, then he gave a short guitar lesson on stage, signed albums, gave away stuff.

He’s SO COOL and NICE. One of the nicest humans for sure. And man can he RIP on guitar (or bass, or anything, LOL).

Yeah, he’s awesome. My wife got me a VIP Meet & Greet a couple years ago at one of his concerts. We hing out for sound check, then he gave a short guitar lesson on stage, signed albums, gave away stuff.

He’s SO COOL and NICE. One of the nicest humans for sure. And man can he RIP on guitar (or bass, or anything, LOL).
He is a master! My bud took e-lessons from him for quite some time. Had nothing but awesome things to say about the experience.

You're finally dead to me, JT. It was only a matter of time.

:rofl
Here's my rationale:
If I want traditional metal; 10/10 Dickenson or Halford. Or go the next generation with Michael Kiske. No contest. Plodding Dio solo tunes are fine but none go anywhere near the heights of Priest or Maiden. I'll take Geoff Tate over Dio all day long as well. Dude was an icon but songs were the least exciting to me of the old guard of metal singers by a huge margin.

Here's my rationale:
If I want traditional metal; 10/10 Dickenson or Halford. Or go the next generation with Michael Kiske. No contest. Plodding Dio solo tunes are fine but none go anywhere near the heights of Priest or Maiden. I'll take Geoff Tate over Dio all day long as well. Dude was an icon but songs were the least exciting to me of the old guard of metal singers by a huge margin.

YES. I like his albums with Sabbath, but not much of his solo stuff and overall he's a weak melody writer. Ozzy wrote way more interesting vocal parts.

I really enjoy Gilbert's enthusiasm and love of music, though.

Here's my rationale:

It's not a competition!!!!! :hmm

Nice to see Maiden get a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nomination today. :banana

YES. I like his albums with Sabbath, but not much of his solo stuff and overall he's a weak melody writer. Ozzy wrote way more interesting vocal parts.

I really enjoy Gilbert's enthusiasm and love of music, though.

It's questionable if Ozzy ever wrote anything. He may have been the greatest Rock N Roll Pirate of all time.

day talk GIF

Not interested in this album, but realizing that I will never play guitar as well on what is the instrument made for guitar playing (namely - huh - a guitar) as Mr. Gilbert is playing on an upright bass, has made me reconsider some things. Now, where's the classifieds section of this forum?

It's questionable if Ozzy ever wrote anything. He may have been the greatest Rock N Roll Pirate of all time.

day talk GIF

Iommi himself says Ozzy wrote the vocal melodies in Sabbath, talks about it in his book.

Says Ozzy had a crazy knack for coming up with vocals over riffs and it was often the first thing he sang when hearing the riff.

YES. I like his albums with Sabbath, but not much of his solo stuff and overall he's a weak melody writer.
Seeing Dio live always gave me the impression that he was pretty indifferent to even his own recorded melodies as canon, and more interested in the virtuoso/ diva improvisational thing. Which could sometimes be a little annoying, if you'd grown to love any of those recorded melodies and were in the audience trying to follow along. :D

tumblr_nj9j9l30Ij1t3xwa0o1_500.jpg

I like We Rock. Hungry For Heaven. The Stars song. Those are really the only Dio solo tunes I'll leave on the radio when they come on. I like Turn Up the Night from his Sabbath years but otherwise; eh? He's a master vocally. Just not my cuppa.

Back