Ok… These Dunable DE’s have my attention - UPDATE

JerEvil

Roadie
So I want a guitar or two set up in C Standard for some Death & Roll fuckery ala Entombed. These things look great and don’t seem to be to spendy.

Never tried any of the Dunable stuff but have heard a mixed bag on them overall.

Anyone here have experience?

Attachments

• IMG_3782.jpeg
    IMG_3782.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 41
Question: My years playing in bands was well before the whole drop tuning thing started happening.
How the hell have bass players been able to deal with guitarists using tunings that are 2 whole steps down?
And other than custom strings, do you need special speakers to handle the extra LF stuff going down????

Question: My years playing in bands was well before the whole drop tuning thing started happening.
How the hell have bass players been able to deal with guitarists using tunings that are 2 whole steps down?
And other than custom strings, do you need special speakers to handle the extra LF stuff going down????
It’s all about dialing in your guitar tones to work in the band context.

I mean Into The Void from Sabbath had Iommi in Dop C I believe so it’s not a new thing. Doom bands have been doing it for decades.

String gauge is a factor. I use generally my Celestion Redback loaded cab that keeps my low end full but also super tight.

Any bass that’s 5 string is usually sufficient but 4 strings and a setup will get you there.

I mean Into The Void from Sabbath had Iommi in Dop C I believe

One of the first tunes I learned on guitar! Obviously the notes he's playing all fit with standard tuning so he did it just to use the heavier gauge strings for the loose sludge? I mostly thought it was done to get those few extra low notes - the sludge angle makes more sense for sure.

@JerEvil
I guess Joe Perry using the Fender 6 string bass along with Hamilton on regular bass was another example of this - heavier gauges for the sludge factor?

String gauge and scale length more than anything. Most of the modern low tuned guys are on an extended/multi scale bass at this point, but it's pretty rare in general to see someone rockin' a 34" bass when they're tuning down lower than A.

I'm putting strings on my Spector right now for Drop-C, 50-115 and that's the biggest gauge I'll put on a 34" bass, any bigger than that and they start sounding like woofy shit.

One of the first tunes I learned on guitar! Obviously the notes he's playing all fit with standard tuning so he did it just to use the heavier gauge strings for the loose sludge? I mostly thought it was done to get those few extra low notes - the sludge angle makes more sense for sure.
Partly to work better (in general, not song specific) with Ozzy's vocal range and partly to have less string tension due to missing the tips from 2 fret-hand fingers...

Back