Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, YGG)

I think the gear industry as we know it is, or should be, on notice. They are largely benefiting from being able to sell to an aging demographic that has the disposable income to prop up the amp, cab, pedal business, but will the next generation of consumers care enough to pay what will undoubtedly will be more extreme niche pricing? ( I doubt Little Johnny is paying Marshall $4,750 for the SV20) Good time to be in the modeling business.
^^^this

(Steve Vai is an old fart. Of course he can still find some niche guitarists he loves. That doesn't mean the average 14 year old thinks playing guitar is cool the way the average 14 year old did when Steve Vai was 14 a millennium ago)
Yep. I've noticed that whenever I step into a GC anymore, especially on the always dreaded Saturday trip, the person wanking badly at too high of a volume is now over 40 instead of a teen like it used to be when I worked at GC in the 90s. If they bring their kids, they're just sitting there bored out of their skulls or staring into their phones.

What I do like though is that the kids that are into it are doing some really creative things with digital, even if it's not my personal cup of tea.

First time I saw Vai I was laughing my ass off at the fan, but also figured it was to keep his hair out of his face

Only took him forty years to discover scissors...

Why couldn’t he just admit that he always thought it looked cool, I mean… it’s alright, everyone has their little secret passions. He loves to pose and have his hair flying around. Why not admit it… it’s alright Stevey let your hair out god damn it and let it fly in the wind!

Vai is a Showman, ive seen him many times along with DLR and Whitesnake
Satch which ive seen just as much is just a jeans and t shirt dude , certainly not what one would call a showman
love both of them

Digital Igloo (Eric Klein)
  • Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • Obsessed with music gear and music gear design
  • Chronic overuser of bullets, ellipses... (and parentheticals)
  • Overseer of the two most spoiled muttbags on the West Coast, Bill&Ted (left) and Paddles
Ask Me Anything.

Except that.

And that. Sicko!

View attachment 312
Hi Eric,

Are you familiar with the locking nut on the Yamaha RGZ-321P? In all the years of seeing guitar innovations and features, I've never seen such a flexible device that lends itself to provide additional flexibility when adjusting a neck and performing a full setup of a guitar.

For those of you who are not familiar with the device, the locking nut has a built-in feature that allows the nut to be raised or lowered providing additional adjustment (or fine tuning the height of the nut if you will) once the neck relief has been done. This nut allows you to set the height of the strings to your taste and with minimal effort.

May question to you Eric is, would it be possible for Yamaha to release the locking nut as an accessory part in popular widths so that said part could be used in conjunction with other tremolo systems or guitar brands?

Hi Eric,

Are you familiar with the locking nut on the Yamaha RGZ-321P? In all the years of seeing guitar innovations and features, I've never seen such a flexible device that lends itself to provide additional flexibility when adjusting a neck and performing a full setup of a guitar.

For those of you who are not familiar with the device, the locking nut has a built-in feature that allows the nut to be raised or lowered providing additional adjustment (or fine tuning the height of the nut if you will) once the neck relief has been done. This nut allows you to set the height of the strings to your taste and with minimal effort.

May question to you Eric is, would it be possible for Yamaha to release the locking nut as an accessory part in popular widths so that said part could be used in conjunction with other tremolo systems or guitar brands?
That would be a question for Yamaha Guitar Group, not anyone at Line 6.

Hi Eric,

Oh man, no idea. That's almost entirely YCJ's domain. Sorry.
That would be a question for Yamaha Guitar Group, not anyone at Line 6.
Line 6 (and Ampeg) are Yamaha Guitar Group, but other than one-off custom artist instruments (we have a small but killer luthier facility down the street, in the same building as Kanye's Yeezy), all the guitars are designed in Japan.

@Digital Igloo any chance you could ask product development to look at trim pots or some way for the Line 6 wireless systems to handle louder pickups? Seems quite an oversight given how many of Line6's customers use EMGs for instance

Say DI, who is in charge for the design choices for the new Revstar II line up?

Say DI, who is in charge for the design choices for the new Revstar II line up?

Didn’t he just answer this? :idk

Oh man, no idea. That's almost entirely YCJ's domain. Sorry.

Line 6 (and Ampeg) are Yamaha Guitar Group, but other than one-off custom artist instruments (we have a small but killer luthier facility down the street, in the same building as Kanye's Yeezy), all the guitars are designed in Japan.

Back