Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, YGG)

You’ll get your answer when D.I is half naked relaxing in a sun chair with a cold beer in his hand and a revived sense of humor. Until then, don’t try you mind tricks Jedi Ben.
Hope I'm wrong,
I don’t :) I hope you’re right. Imo a change like that would be very welcome at this point in Helix time. Even if those who only use IRs may feel it’s not a big thing, the big picture would be a big thing for the whole Helix line.
Its all good though :)
Definitely :beer

Whatever it is, "3.20 contains no notable changes to the Amp models that might affect feel" according to DI (link).
To me it's clear that all audible changes will be in the new Cabs and whether there is extra sauce that adds "feel" is anyone's guess, my guess there will be no extra sauce becuase there is no need for extra sauce.

In my experience "feel" has a lot to do with pre-gain eq, sometimes a very carefully tuned eq between gain stages.
When I was modifying my amp to my needs, I changed almost all the cathode bypass and coupling caps between the preamp 12ax7 gain stages to fine tune how the amp reacts when palm muting.

PS.
I'm always perplexed when people requests "engine" or "feel" changes without articulating or pointing to anything specific that they think is inadequate or lacking in comparison to something else.

Bob: I want amazing things to happen.
Mike: Yes? Go on.
Bob: Go on what? That was it.
Mike: :wat

Nah, I'm more and more convinced it's just about IR versions of cabs. It fits every statement he has made so far. Which is great for me, as I've never used IRs.
"I will say, however, 3.20's headline may actually result in the biggest sonic leap Line 6 has ever made, including going from HD500X to Helix." -- D.I., just a few replies back.
IR cabs are the biggest sonic leap in Line 6 history? If so, that would just be sad. :columbo :idk

Sorry if these have been asked before:
do you play any instrument? (I'm sure you do)
what kind of music are you into the most?

Now a big one I understand will be impossible to fully answer in your position
what do you see/imagine/expect in the future of guitar/music technology, let's say, in the 2030s?

Question; How do you get a dog to respond to "Bill and Ted", that's almost a complete sentence?
We pronounce it "BILL'n'ted." It's the same number of syllables as Amanda, Jessica, Anthony, Dakota, Damian, Apollo, Sebastian, Oliver, Caroline, Akira, or James Freeman. :giggle:
Do you play any instrument? (I'm sure you do)
Was classically trained in piano (age 5-13), but now I play guitar, bass, and keys/synth well enough to get them into a computer and chop everything up. Program drums, arrange for orchestra, and write/produce pop vocal harmonies as well. When people ask what my main instrument is, I say "mouse."

So don't expect to come over and jam, but I'll remix your band.
What kind of music are you into the most?
Depends; I get bored pretty easily. If my wife's flying, this week I might crank blackgaze and doomgaze (she hates the screaming) but when she's around, we'll play 70s rock, 90s alternative, film scores, tiki lounge, or early 00s hip hop. (Peak hip hop was when Dre, Neptunes, and Timbaland/Missy Elliot battled to see who could make the craziest beat hit #1. Prove me wrong.)

Favorite bands: Curve, Deafheaven, Deftones, Failure, Holy Fawn, Igorrr, The Joy Formidable, Mr. Bungle, Spotlights.
Now a big one I understand will be impossible to fully answer in your position. What do you see/imagine/expect in the future of guitar/music technology, let's say, in the 2030s?
Not sure if I should answer this one—not because it'd spill any secrets, but because it's fairly pessimistic.

Ah, screw it.

Y'know how in "Better Off Dead (1985)," John Cusack plays saxophone and it was meant to be a totally cool moment, but when we all watched it decades later, it came off as a bit... 80s cheese? That's how kids see guitar these days—it's a "dad instrument." Sure, there are thousands of guitar-centric bands out there, but very few of them crack the top 40. We'll need a new Nirvana or something to really kick things into gear but unfortunately, the state of the record industry no longer fosters those sorts of artists. (My sister helps run Lollapalooza.) It's much easier for kids to throw three loops into GarageBand and share it on TikTok than it is to learn three chords and find other musicians willing to play with them.

And I'm totally fine with this from an artistic standpoint. Times change, music changes, it's all good. But I work for Yamaha Guitar Group, so if we want to keep our jobs, it's something we need to take seriously.

So Yamaha is looking at methods to minimize cases of the "lapsed guitarist." Investing in music education, incentivizing younger people to take up guitar, and getting them to play more, play longer, hone their skills, and showcase those skills in front of others to then hopefully inspire others. We're not the only ones—Roland/BOSS (and I believe Fender) have similar campaigns.

From a tech standpoint, you might see a lot of Chinese companies pushing their way into the higher-end multieffects space. Except they can do it with lower overhead and ex-factory costs. It'll take a lot of ingenuity (and if necessary, IP protection) to stay ahead of them. Other than that, I try to pay more attention to the problems users face than what technology might be trending. We'll all probably be supporting, I dunno—let's say Apple's upcoming augmented reality headset—in X years, but there better be a notable advantage to that experience to make it worth pursuing. Doing AR purely for AR's sake would be dumb.

Last edited:
That's how kids see guitar these days—it's a "dad instrument." Sure, there are thousands of guitar-centric bands out there, but very few of them crack the top 40.
Haha, I've been saying that for years and guitarists don't like hearing it.

Same can be said with the classic/muscle car scene. Once the boomers and gen Xr's are gone the market will die with them.

Same can be said with the classic/muscle car scene. Once the boomers and gen Xr's are gone the market will die with them.
For sure. The vintage guitar market will be toast as well. Now vinyl on the other hand...

Nah.. I think it’s generalizing a bit. And this is in response to DI also.

I have a more optimistic view on guitar, from what i see… I see a lot of young kids taking up guitar. granted… it’s harder for them to get somewhere today.. but damn they still do it with the same passion as we did. They may draw their inspirations from parents, or even parents parents… if it’s from music or from actual instruments in their surrounding, they do find their way.

Just this week we got this 16 yo kid doing work practice at our firm, going out with us plumbers to learn. I was really surprised how much he already knew about metal, and other new to me guitar centric genres. He even went and got a soldering iron after I told him to swap the pup in his cheap Jackson because it was probably the pup that was causing problems. Like, one day asking me for advice, next day he’d succeeded in soldering in a pickup for the first time. (Now he got a ground problem though… I suspect he’s all over that already).

But things like this makes me happy and positive about the future for guitar. It’s NOT the end. It may have been pushed back a little, but to me it looks like the circles is still going around like it did 25 years ago when I was a young teen learning Evil Empire by ear on my Eagle strat copy and a cheap horrific sounding Peavey. And they told me the same thing then. Guitar is dying… sure.
Kids still find their way damn it… and it’s so cool to see. Throw a bate their way in the right age and they are hooked. Simple as that.
This is not what I see in Sweden. The classic car scene is going stronger than ever amongst the youth. My dad is an old enthusiast, and I followed him in that too… we were out and about a lot from 2000-2015 driving cruisings and meets. My guess the new environmental thinking might put an end to it rather than people actually loosing interest.
I doubt the enthusiast want to convert their v8’s into something environmentally friendly. Hard “punish” like taxes might take it all down, or Greta… the old car farts doesn’t even want to put a catalyst on the cars… so far, owning a old car has been rewarded with “veteran tax” here. But as soon as they remove that… boom, half of them will park their cars.

Kind of hard to Imagine that guitar is on the Decline, right now its never been easier to learn guitar, to acquire decent gear for next to nothing
we have guitars now at ~150.0$ that are very good for a beginner, unlike the sears catalogue and the Teiscos of days past which were practically unplayable, so now with all this great affordable gear its great motivation for the person to keep playing and learning amps and effects are also very affordable

We pronounce it "BILL'n'ted." It's the same number of syllables as Amanda, Jessica, Anthony, Dakota, Damian, Apollo, Sebastian, Oliver, Caroline, Akira, or James Freeman. :giggle:

Was classically trained in piano (age 5-13), but now I play guitar, bass, and keys/synth well enough to get them into a computer and chop everything up. Program drums, arrange for orchestra, and write/produce pop vocal harmonies as well. When people ask what my main instrument is, I say "mouse."

So don't expect to come over and jam, but I'll remix your band.

Depends; I get bored pretty easily. If my wife's flying, this week I might crank blackgaze and doomgaze (she hates the screaming) but when she's around, we'll play 70s rock, 90s alternative, film scores, tiki lounge, or early 00s hip hop. (Peak hip hop was when Dre, Neptunes, and Timbaland/Missy Elliot battled to see who could make the craziest beat hit #1. Prove me wrong.)

Favorite bands: Curve, Deafheaven, Deftones, Failure, Holy Fawn, Igorrr, The Joy Formidable, Mr. Bungle, Spotlights.

Not sure if I should answer this one—not because it'd spill any secrets, but because it's fairly pessimistic.

Ah, screw it.

Y'know how in "Better Off Dead (1985)," John Cusack plays saxophone and it was meant to be a totally cool moment, but when we all watched it decades later, it came off as a bit... 80s cheese? That's how kids see guitar these days—it's a "dad instrument." Sure, there are thousands of guitar-centric bands out there, but very few of them crack the top 40. We'll need a new Nirvana or something to really kick things into gear but unfortunately, the state of the record industry no longer fosters those sorts of artists. (My sister helps run Lollapalooza.) It's much easier for kids to throw three loops into GarageBand and share it on TikTok than it is to learn three chords and find other musicians willing to play with them.

And I'm totally fine with this from an artistic standpoint. Times change, music changes, it's all good. But I work for Yamaha Guitar Group, so if we want to keep our jobs, it's something we need to take seriously.

So Yamaha is looking at methods to minimize cases of the "lapsed guitarist." Investing in music education, incentivizing younger people to take up guitar, and getting them to play more, play longer, hone their skills, and showcase those skills in front of others to then hopefully inspire others. We're not the only ones—Roland/BOSS (and I believe Fender) have similar campaigns.

From a tech standpoint, you might see a lot of Chinese companies pushing their way into the higher-end multieffects space. Except they can do it with lower overhead and ex-factory costs. It'll take a lot of ingenuity (and if necessary, IP protection) to stay ahead of them. Other than that, I try to pay more attention to the problems users face than what technology might be trending. We'll all probably be supporting, I dunno—let's say Apple's upcoming AI headset—in X years, but there better be a notable advantage to that experience to make it worth pursuing. Doing AI purely for AI's sake would be dumb.

Thank you, I really appreciate your answers.

Kind of hard to Imagine that guitar is on the Decline, right now its never been easier to learn guitar, to acquire decent gear for next to nothing
we have guitars now at ~150.0$ that are very good for a beginner, unlike the sears catalogue and the Teiscos of days past which were practically unplayable, so now with all this great affordable gear its great motivation for the person to keep playing and learning amps and effects are also very affordable
DI isn't wrong. Young folks now look at the guitar the same way we looked at our parents or in some cases, our grandparents music. My dad grew up listening to big band so that's what I grew up listening to. While I do appreciate it, I never had any interest in playing it. He had a hard time accepting me wanting a guitar over a brass instrument. That's where we are now. Music has evolved and computer-based music is what's popular now. We're the old timers scratching our heads at the new fangled noise the kids these days call music.

I think because we all play guitar, we tend to cling to the belief that everyone must love it as much as we do. I do wish that were the case though. Sadly, it isn't.

I think because we all play guitar, we tend to cling to the belief that everyone must love it as much as we do. I do wish that were the case though. Sadly, it isn't.
I really dont.

Im just very happy when kids do like guitar. Im surprised they still offer guitar lessons in my kids school. They can choose between drums, trumpet, violin and guitar. From age 7.
But they all share the same "media" based lessons... they do something together and get the "quick" thing in recording, filming and editing. Very limited, but still... great.

There's always going to be some appeal to the guitar, even if it's an old, mystifying piece of wood.

Just a few years ago when my wife was working at a less-than-stellar school in a less-than-stellar area (my neighborhood, ha!), she got involved with a program that gave her the instruments and materials required to teach kids guitar, bass, drums, and keys for free. Every year her after-school guitar classes got bigger and bigger. I would come in and record groups of kids, some of them even writing their own songs that I'd record for them. They'd learn a bit about what's required in a studio environment and receive praise from their peers after the fact.

Several teachers at different elementary schools in the area who run the same program would come together and have a big concert. So many kids and so many guitars, it was really quite something.

Now she's working at a school on rich kid hill and they all take private oboe lessons :rofl

I think DI is right. Guitar based music has never had less cultural impact then at present. Its also very likely it will never have the same impact as it did for us.

The pandemic certainly helped drive some interest, but who knows how lasting that will be, and who knows how much of that surge wasn’t also gear hounds having an excuse to buy more gear.

I think the gear industry as we know it is, or should be, on notice. They are largely benefiting from being able to sell to an aging demographic that has the disposable income to prop up the amp, cab, pedal business, but will the next generation of consumers care enough to pay what undoubtedly will be more extreme niche pricing? ( I doubt Little Johnny is paying Marshall $4,750 for the SV20) Good time to be in the modeling business.

DI is certainly right that what we need is a young band to really cross over and make an impact, or for this generation to have their own version of the alternative movement. Lord knows Tim Henson playing in flip flops by the pool for a Lipitor commercial isn’t going to get it done.

Last edited:
Back