Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, YGG)

The idea of a modeler that can't be fully and properly edited on the modeler itself but having some crippled down back to 2000 menus, AND on top of that being dependent on third party unit to edit it, sounds absolutely horrible to me. Big screen is just one of the things that made Helix what it is.
As an option like some units already have, sure, go for it.
But it has to be done on the unit! (Is this a quote from some movie?)

No thanks, give me knobs and buttons, hold the touchscreen. Try to use it with some sweat on your finger, and you'll understand why.
I actually see it as viable. You usually have at minimum a phone with you these days. The next step up would be a dedicated tablet for more serious use. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 so I would just open it up into tablet mode!

The problem with onboard touchscreens is that the expected level is quite high these days because smartphones have pushed things forward. With lower quality stuff you end up with screens that people find bad to use when it doesn't match their phone's performance. So avoiding having to develop your own touchscreen system can be a big money and time saver.

I'm not quite sure what the actual modeler with I/O and DSP would be. Basically like an audio interface? A rack unit with bare minimum output volume controls?

Guitar gear is IMO pretty silly in its design. Just imagine if keyboard players were supposed to operate their synth from the floor while they sling a Keytar! To me the controls should be higher up like a synth, footswitching separate.

Helix being on the market for this long, and being successfully used in all sort, size and type events, is enough proof of concept that a big screen is not an issue :)

Well, ask @Orvillain (and quite some others with cracked screens).
Anyhow, personally, I'd rather have a smaller screen and 1-2 more rows of knobs.

But, I'm aware that the whole argument is pointless because I'm 100% certain that every next generation of modelers, by any manufacturer, will have a touchscreen.

Absolutely. Still doesn't make much sense, really. Ok, with smaller, EXP-free units it might be ok as you can put them on a desk. But that's not exactly a great place for something such as a Helix.

To me the controls should be higher up like a synth, footswitching separate.

Amen! This is also why I'm lobbying (well, not really - and perhaps unfortunately) for a kind of modular system. Give me a "knob block" that I could mount on a mic stand, ideally with an option to "slide" a tablet in. Select with the tablet, turn knobs. Would obviously be even better in case the knobs had small scribble strips.
I said so already, this could as well be used for realtime performance. Dial in some delay madness while holding a chord or abuse the tablet as a kind of Kaos pad.

Give me a "knob block."
That's why we expanded Helix's MIDI implementation to support exactly these sorts of things. Any MIDI knob controller can recreate Helix's 6 knobs and <PAGE/PAGE> buttons. Stepping on a stomp switch can select the block you want and if it's not assigned to a stomp, you can still get there via Pedal Edit.

There's no reason for Line 6 to spin cycles developing a knob controller when so many affordable solutions already exist.

That's why we expanded Helix's MIDI implementation to support exactly these sorts of things.

I'm sure you're aware of just *how* bad that worked prior to 3.5, no?

And it's still far from great as knobs ideally would need bi-directional feedback, so you could switch patches and the knobs would be updated (or whenever you alter a parameter on the unit).

Not saying it's ideal, but c'mon.

You were losing snapshots prior to 3.5. Which was absolutely inacceptable for me. And yes, I already grabbed my BCR2000 from the grave, configured all CCs and what not - just to find out I could not use snapshots anymore. Obviously the same goes for my tablet MIDI control hack.
Seriously, that was one of the biggest dissapointments among my Helix endeavours.

Why not? Do you prefer crawling on the floor to use your precious touchscreen while enjoying a beer shower and drunken stage divers stomping on it, checking out whether that gorilla glass really deserves its name?
The answer? Offer both.

Touchscreen on device, for when it’s convenient. Mobile tablet connection (like FracPad) for remote editing.

Well, ask @Orvillain (and quite some others with cracked screens).

Yah, I broke my screen. Wasn't anything to do with the Helix. Everything to do with me stacking shit on top of my amps and then things falling off at the most inopportune moments.

I don't hold it against the design and if Frank and Eric hadn't sorted me out, I would've collapsed into a pile of idiot user dogshit, and bought another one.

Yep, and "people won't want a touchscreen on the floor."

The first step is to create a 3-page PID (Product Idea Document). Mainly a rough wireframe mockup of what it might look like, top five features, some early financial assumptions (target MAP, expected ex-factory cost, expected run rates, etc.). It's presented first to the Products team for additional brainstorming, and if approved, to the development team to get a rough idea of feasibility and cost. Then it's presented to the Sales and Marketing teams. Then there's a bi-weekly PID approval meeting where it's rated in a dozen or so categories, which gives it an overall score. That determines if it gets made and if so, how it should be prioritized given the existing product roadmap. On rare occasion a project may end up with a low score but its strategic and intangible benefits push it through.

Then the real work starts: TRDs (Technical Requirement Document), additional feasibility studies, cost studies, competitive matrices, etc. A 30+-slide Powerpoint is created and presented to about 50-60 people from all disciplines; everyone has a chance to ask questions, suggest changes, say "that's so dumb, Eric, you should be ashamed," etc. If it passes, it's officially made a project and is given a project code (Helix Floor is P21, Helix Rack is P28, Helix LT is P32, HX Effects is F15 (effects-only products have a different category for some reason), HX Stomp is P33, POD Go is P34-1, POD Go Wireless is P34-2, HX Stomp XL is P36, DL4 MkII is F16... The project code appears on a white sticker on the side of the packaging, so it's not really a secret.

What happened to P23, P24, P25, P26, P27, P29, P30, P31, and P35? Those projects were paused/backburnered, are still being developed, or were cancelled entirely. POD HD500X, POD HD Pro X, AMPLIFi FX100, and Firehawk FX are somewhere in there too (which all started after Helix Floor) but I forget their codes.

There are additional gates the project has to go through—sometimes spanning several years—each one adding additional data and validation. At any gate, for any number of reasons, the project can be mercilessly killed.

If something costs a lot (or appears to cost a lot) to develop and its benefits aren't completely understood by certain members of the staff, Product Managers may create a fancy animated Keynote/Powerpoint to explain how everything will work and if necessary, hook up a bunch of gear and computers to emulate it.

Some features and services are more strategic in nature or act as a test platform for a bigger set of features and services in the future. That is, users may not fully get why we do something, but it may make sense later. Roland/BOSS is really good about this—they'll occasionally release entire products that may not make sense and don't sell at all but include several features and/or hardware elements that find themselves in many future products. Just one example: their SonicCell tabletop synth module was likely a test platform for a bunch of Fantom-G generation features.

We'll work with marketing to ensure they understand a feature's benefit, but they may choose to focus marketing deliverables on different stuff. That's totally fine, as long as I get to write the Release Notes and forum-centric FAQs so y'all get the real story.
Incredible, thank you for the inside look, @Digital Igloo!

Wasn't anything to do with the Helix.

Well, in case it was a smaller screen, perhaps it wouldn't be broken.
But anyway, that's beside the point. I was thinking about this to happen to a touchscreen. Instant brickage. With a standard screen you could possibly still navigate through the unit and edit things. But once the touch sensivity is lost, the unit is bricked.
Really, nobody will ever convince me of a touchscreen placed on what often is a rather busy (!) floor (!) being a decent idea. In fact, it's one of the last places you'd chose to park your iPad.

I happen to like my Screen on my Helix it looks really nice, part of why people buy products is not only based on functionality
its also how it looks we are all attracted to how things look, one can use Apple as a case in point, sure its a great product but im sure many people bought it based on how sexy and elegant the IMac looks, design language sure plays a big part in all things

Last edited:
I happen to like my Screen on my Helix it looks really nice part of why people buy products is not only based on functionality
its also how it looks we are all attracted to how things look, one can use Apple as a case in point, sure its a great product but im sure many people bought it based on how sexy and elegant the IMac looks, design language sure plays a big part in all things

Helix Floor is the best looking of all the modelers, by far.

Helix Floor is the best looking of all the modelers, by far.
It looks great (and trope alert) it's easy af to use; whether or not you have issues with tones not translating from one day to the next. This has largely went away for me.

Programming a midi controller the night before a show for an HX device gives me zero worry. I wouldn't have those same feelings for really any other brand. One of my absolute favorite things about the Helix stuff.

I happen to like my Screen on my Helix it looks really nice, part of why people buy products is not only based on functionality

Each to their own I suppose. For me personally, the screen and LED rings have been one of the main reasons to part with the Floor (still have a Stomp), simply because those nice looks come with incredibly bad visibility under critical lightning conditions (in fact, it's the worst in its class). And for me, when it comes to that kind of equipment, it's never form over function but always vice versa.

Each to their own I suppose. For me personally, the screen and LED rings have been one of the main reasons to part with the Floor (still have a Stomp), simply because those nice looks come with incredibly bad visibility under critical lightning conditions (in fact, it's the worst in its class). And for me, when it comes to that kind of equipment, it's never form over function but always vice versa.
Yes of course everyone has different needs, hence why there is so much variety in most like kind products
phones, tv's, computers, cars, modelers, pedals, amps, Hi-Fi etc etc.... cant please everyone and nothing is ever really perfect

Please Line6 keep HX edit simple, as it is, no new gui.
About touchscreen for new units, why not bluetooth without screen (or a cheap one) and our phones/tablets ?

Back