Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, YGG)

Have you considered raising the maximum Amp DSP limit slightly higher if you are going to refresh some of the amps?
Nobody complained about the Vitriol DSP consumption, that's valuable information. :p

PS.
Our SHARC may be getting older but it is still deadly.

Alright, so, I didn’t complain about it because we have so many other options that cost less dsp if I neee that. If all of them go up considerably it’s going to be a problem, seems like we would need one or two more efficient options for all the basic sounds still. L6 would probably just add new and send the old to a legacy option which would be cool. I just don’t want my existing presets to break…

D

As said before: Ditch the entire large screen entirely and offer a super comfortable option to connect a mobile device, obviously including a decent iOS/Android version of HX Edit. Number of modeler users without a smartphone and/or tablet: Probably approaching zero.

TF? You sir, should be banned… :barf

D

I wonder if next update will bring new effects like Tesselator, Ratchet or new euclidean effects (like the magic delay 3.10 brought us).

I wonder if next update will bring new effects like Tesselator, Ratchet or new euclidean effects (like the magic delay 3.10 brought us).

I'm sure it's a nice video, but the only way to play it on Safari is to allow Facebook to track my TGF activity.
As said before: Ditch the entire large screen entirely and offer a super comfortable option to connect a mobile device, obviously including a decent iOS/Android version of HX Edit. Number of modeler users without a smartphone and/or tablet: Probably approaching zero.
We call these types of devices "headless." They seem to make sense on paper, but the reality is that the last headless flagship multieffects may have been the first nail in the coffin that may have eventually tanked the entire company. Y'know, if you talk to certain people who claim to be in the know.

Even if you're talking about something a bit different, the lesson learned is the same.

Last edited:
Even if you're talking about something a bit different, the lesson learned is the same.

Sorry but no. The Digitech thing has nothing in common with my suggested scenario. It's almost vice versa. I'm talking about processing on a proprietary device controlled by a "vanilla" OS device. The Digitech pedal was using a vanilla OS device for processing, controlled by proprietary switches. In my scenario, there'd also be no need to connect a tablet, let alone a specific one.

What I'm talking about would be sort of similar to a Behringer X Air mixer, a rack device completely controlled via external devices.
Or, even closer, one of the direct Helix competitors, the GT-1000. Kinda oldfashioned onboard screen (however offering most excellent readability) and an option to program everything via pretty much any relevant platform, wireless access included.

The Digitech thing has nothing in common with my suggested scenario. It's almost vice versa. I'm talking about processing on a proprietary device controlled by a "vanilla" OS device. The Digitech pedal was using a vanilla OS device for processing, controlled by proprietary switches.
No it wasn't. The processing was all done in the hardware; the iPad merely acted as a UI input device, exactly like the X Air mixer (except it was tethered, although some people got extension cables so the iPad could sit on their desk).
What I'm talking about would be sort of similar to a Behringer X Air mixer, a rack device completely controlled via external devices.
I have no idea how well the X Air sells, but the X32 Core was the only member of its family to be quickly discontinued, presumably because it was headless.

Clearly very few people have a problem with large color screens on the floor, and large color touchscreens aren't inherently any less reliable. If you were to ask 100 people if they're willing to remove (or seriously limit) programmability from the top panel to lower the cost by maybe 15%, how many do you think might say yes?

Last edited:
No it wasn't. The processing was all done in the hardware; the iPad merely acted as a UI input device, exactly like the X Air mixer (except it was tethered).

Ooops, didn't know that. My bad, sorry. In that case, it's indeed sort of comparable, but still:
- The used tablet has to sit on the foor. IMO that's just stupid. Appears to me even more so now that I know it's not even been used for processing duties.
- Limited choice of tablets. In that case, from all I know, you could just use 1-2 iPad models.

I have no idea how well the X Air sells, but the X32 Core was the only member of its family to be quickly discontinued, presumably because it was headless.

I doubt the latter. The X Air 16 and 18 seem to be selling pretty well to this day, the Soundcraft UI16 and UI24 seem to be doing even better (according to Thomann data the UI16 ranks first among sold digital mixers) - and they're following pretty much the same concept.
Whatever, pretty much all IEM mixing devices include tablet/phone-based remote control, same goes for FOH consoles. That technique has become pretty mature.
And as I've already mentioned it: The way the GT-1000 does it is just excellent (the fact that the Tone Studio app could be vastly improved is an entirely different thing). On-unit-editing isn't as nice as with the Helix (even if the configurable encoders compensate for a lot of other shortcomings) but you can always connect any mobile device for quick and detailed editing. IMO Boss has gotten a whole lot of things just right with this unit (it'd be my tool of choice if I was planning to get an all-in-one unit these days).

Whatever, pretty much all IEM mixing devices include tablet/phone-based remote control, same goes for FOH consoles. That technique has become pretty mature.

While it may be mature, it sucks compared to good hardware IME. I’ve played a few dozen gigs now at venues where you control the IEMs with the behringer app. I’ve also done dozens of gigs with the Midas DP mixers. I’ll take the DPs every time without question if I’m given a choice.

D

There is a topic in TGP called " The things that Helix can’t do ". I found some great suggestions in it (often old ones but interesting).

While it may be mature, it sucks compared to good hardware IME. I’ve played a few dozen gigs now at venues where you control the IEMs with the behringer app. I’ve also done dozens of gigs with the Midas DP mixers. I’ll take the DPs every time without question if I’m given a choice.

D

I'm not even disagreeing - but a dedicated external hardware controller including proper support of things such as, say, bi-directional communication and such is nothing we should ever expect.
Apart from that, with all those IEM remote apps, it's absolutely about how they're programmed and organized, the Behringer one certainly isn't the best.

And well, personally, I wouldn't even need a full editor on a mobile device, a sort of "live controller" would be absolutely sufficient in most cases. Even found an app that could've been sufficient, had some further plans such as purchasing a BT-to-MIDI box, so I could as well use TouchOSC (which doesn't work via any USB-OTG cabled), I also set up my BCR2000 knob controller - in other words, I was ready to go through the extra lengths of rolling my own. But it's just not possible because the Helix itself isn't up to working properly in any such scenarios.

Hello Eric, so whats your take on his predictions :D , I'm sort of thinking along the same lines as his statements regarding a new Higher end Modeller, a new level, but not replacing the Helix.. hmmmmm

Hello Eric, so whats your take on his predictions :D , I'm sort of thinking along the same lines as his statements regarding a new Higher end Modeller, a new level, but not replacing the Helix.. hmmmmm

Every single comment/prediction was so low-hanging fruit, they were practically underground. "Line 6 is working on something." "Neural may have been inspired by Helix's UI." Sigh...

"Line 6 is working on something."
Well this is true, i don't think YGG would want idle minds :crazy
So OFC there is a Next Gen Plan in the works, how far is it in all those steps you described ? we certainly don't know and wont know

was so low-hanging fruit,
Yes when he implied that line 6 does a lot, but is not the best at anything ..... Reverbs and delays are ok but not the best amps are well on par to the QC lol and the audacity and balls to suggest that the QC is what the Helix 2 should be hahahahahahahah

Back