Calling it quits?

It's like wishing you knew what you know now, about sexy-time, but when you were in your 20's! :rofl

borat-mankini-fines.jpg

I haven't called it quits. But at 58 yrs old, I think there's a big chance "quits" has called it for me.

Played my last gig Sept 2016. And needed a break big time. In the last 6+ years my hands have been hit by increasing arthritis. The general stiffness I can deal with, but the main problem is the base knuckle on my fretting hand thumb is shot, and holding chord shapes is a problem.

The 2 other main issues is that no one I've played music with in the last almost 40 years is still gigging at all. Also there is literally not one band in the area that I would want to join if the opportunity presented itself.

It's not all bad though. I picked up an FM9 a few months ago, and play here almost every day, and still enjoy that. I figure I've still got a few gigs in me, but not if I stop all together.

Haven't gigged in well over 20 years.

About 14 years ago I decided to finally take some lessons, I felt stuck in progress and wanted to learn some theory and figure out why music worked the way it does - I was a note reader for many instruments from 6th -12 grade, but I could sight read well. Never read music for the guitar, just learned by ear and transcribed it myself.

I was making progress again with lessons and changing things up. Then ulnar radiopathy hit, it was excruciating at both elbows but primarily on my fretting hand. The numbness in my ring and pinky fingers was slowlystarting to reduce stregnth and I could barely feel the 1st and 2nd strings and bends and vibrato were nearly out of the question completely. I figured I was done, sold everything after about 4 months other than a cheap bass and the acoustic my wife bought for me. And stopped going to TGP and Fractal Forums to avoid adding any fuel to the depression.

After a lot of physical therapy(avoiding surgery) and figuring out a few things like braces for my arms while sleeping, I started to play a little bit on the acoustic again after about 9 years. I told my wife I wanted to give it a try again because I really missed playing, even if just by myself.

I started teaching myself how to play again after nearly an 11 yr hiatus. It was a little easier because there was a bit of muscle memory left, but I wanted to avoid causing any other pain issues that are surely to come up now that I'm getting a bit older. Now to get back into the theory and learning where the hell the notes are all over the neck. I didn't have enough time with that information for it to completely stay with me.

I don't plan on gigging again, but will play with some friends every few years when I get back that way. I'm making progress and I'm happy.

I quit playing drums, which was my #1 passion for many years, because it wasn't practical anymore. I was working full time, had a baby on the way, and living in apartments. Haven't really picked it back up. I kept playing guitar over that time a bit, but kind of put it down for a few years. Got back into it and real passionate about it, but haven't played in groups at all.

Honestly I'm thinking of taking another break as I'm a little burned out with all the gear and lack of focus and other stuff going on. Won't be forever, but sometimes a break is good and you come back refreshed. For me, I need to get my mental health in order and get some excitement and inspiration back. I've barely listened to music at all for months too.

For those with all sorts of issues:
- Reduce sugar (*the* enemy).
- Reduce simple carbs.
- Reduce alcohol.
- Increase stretching (the entire body). Make it a habit.

Plus the usual suspects, obviously. But these are incredibly useful to maintain a working body for quite a while longer.

Repetitive strain injury is a real thing only resolved with rest. Often a brace will accelerate the healing.

You can stop all the bad shit in your life, but if you continue to use those muscles and grind away at the nerves… you’re doomed.

Repetitive strain injury is a real thing only resolved with rest.

Absolutely aware of that. Which is why you need to take care about it early - which you usually can.

but if you continue to use those muscles and grind away at the nerves… you’re doomed.

Which is precisely why I posted what I posted. These are all super helpful, especially in case you're doing plenty of repetitive things.

I've barely listened to music at all for months too.
This is a big one for me. I'm almost never home alone; throwing on music there would usually count as inconsiderate or exclusionary. I used to do a lot of listening in the car, but I do very little driving now. (Short commute, hybrid work at home schedule. And that tiny amount of bandwidth is often consumed listening to the news.) I don't multitask well, preferring to focus on whatever I'm doing, so I don't even bother trying to listen while I'm working. And post-kid/ post-COVID I only get out to see a show a couple of times a year.

Long story short: I'm a "musician" who almost never listens to music, unless it's to learn a part. It definitely exacerbates the whole "why?" struggle I described above. It can get pretty weird; I'll catch myself musing abstractly about what "songs" are or why they even exist. o_O

(Meanwhile, it seems like all of my friends are deeply familiar with an incomprehensible glut of music I've never even heard of. I can't even imagine catching up at this point LOL.)
(But I know every conceivable detail about every single digital signal processor thingamabob I demonstrate absolutely no need to own...)

Absolutely aware of that. Which is why you need to take care about it early - which you usually can.

Which is precisely why I posted what I posted. These are all super helpful, especially in case you're doing plenty of repetitive things.

Fine. But your post did not indicate anything of the kind.

The only cure for repetitive strain injury is abstinence from the activity.

I’ve dealt with it… I have a more than firm grip… a brace is true relief in 6 wks or so. Some folks take a couple of years.

I also know two surgeons go in and look at the damage, especially when surgery required after a lot of corticosteroid injections.

It’s u g l y. Try not to do that!

This is a big one for me. I'm almost never home alone; throwing on music there would usually count as inconsiderate or exclusionary. I used to do a lot of listening in the car, but I do very little driving now. (Short commute, hybrid work at home schedule. And that tiny amount of bandwidth is often consumed listening to the news.) I don't multitask well, preferring to focus on whatever I'm doing, so I don't even bother trying to listen while I'm working. And post-kid/ post-COVID I only get out to see a show a couple of times a year.

Long story short: I'm a "musician" who almost never listens to music, unless it's to learn a part. It definitely exacerbates the whole "why?" struggle I described above. It can get pretty weird; I'll catch myself musing abstractly about what "songs" are or why they even exist. o_O

(Meanwhile, it seems like all of my friends are deeply familiar with an incomprehensible glut of music I've never even heard of. I can't even imagine catching up at this point LOL.)
(But I know every conceivable detail about every single digital signal processor thingamabob I demonstrate absolutely no need to own...)

Oh totally, music in the car is a big difference. I mostly listen to podcasts around the house or while working now. Add in that new music just isn't that that interesting and I'm kind of sick of the old music I listened to over and over again. That's why I almost just think about taking a break and coming back refreshed.

Back