Built a custom amp shelving unit

MadAsAHatter

Roadie
For about the past 2-1/2 weeks I've been building a custom amp shelving unit. I worked on it for a few hours every afternoon for the first week & a half. I took off work last week to go after it and finish everything off.

I did this for a few reasons.
1. I wanted to get my amps better organized
2. I prefer to not stack amps on top of each other if I can help it.
3. The Home Depot wire shelves work fine. But when you're trying to squeeze out every inch of space to fit gear something more custom is in order
4. Even thought it's a lot of work, I like doing projects like this.

The whole think is made from 7/8" hard maple. It's just over 81" tall (a standard height for bookshelves), 97-1/2" wide and 15" deep. It can be completely disassembled if necessary. I made it this way mainly because I'd never get something that big down the hall and into my room if it were one piece. All the sides are attached to the back braces with threaded inserts for wood and bolts. Additionally the shelves are secured to the sides and supported with sturdy L brackets. I put a decorative roundover on all the sides and fronts of shelves. Lastly I finished it off with a poly clearcoat. The whole thing is very solid and stable.

The only thing I didn't finish off is the top. For now it's just a board laying on top. I need to fully cut it to width, add a roundover, poly coat and actually attach it. With moving amps back and forth to test fit everything and my room being a mess because of that, I was ready to get it all together and functional.

Luckily I was able to get all the lumber milled at the yard so that saved a butt-ton of work. So first up was getting all the sides made up. Here's a couple in the clamps and one all glued up.

1688938831403.png

1688938863727.png

1688938911530.png

Awesome work dude! You have some killer amps too.:love:love Great choice with the hard maple, I'm sure that thing is sturdy AF.
I can appreciate the woodworking. This is like an average day work for me although it's for other people. I've been thinking of similar projects to do for myself and your thread is giving me a boost!

Thats awesome. Great collection.

How are you running the power and cabling? You have switcher?

I appreciate all the compliments. It was a good bit of work; a lot of it was sanding for several days. I've had my fill of sawdust for a bit LOL. Makes me want to invest in a thickness sander too instead of doing it all by hand or an orbital sander. It was well worth the effort as it makes the collection look much more organized than just stacking it all on top each other.

Thats awesome. Great collection.

How are you running the power and cabling? You have switcher?
I'm currently using a DeLisle 8x8 deluxe for switching. I plan on getting at least a 12x12 deluxe to accommodate this group of amps. The 8x8 will move over to the group on the wire shelves.
All the cabling is run as neatly as possible behind the amps. To keep the front looking clean I use a right angle plug into the input and snake the cable around the side and underneath the amp.

How's that BV350? The Shockwave is a killer SS amp :bag
Both the BV300 & 150 are pretty solid amps. Nothing at all like the angry hornets in a tin can fizzy sounding 60 & 120 watt versions. To me the tone sits somewhere between a Super Lead & a Rectifier. I'm not going to pretend they're the best amps on the planet; however, they will more than adequately keep up with other amps and sit pretty well in a mix. One thing that was always amusing to me was pushing the BV300 volume up to about 10-11 o'clock and drowning out the entire band; even the drummer LOL!

The Shockwave is no slouch either. Kind of a one trick pony, but nails the early 2000's death metal tone. Really tight, articulate, and fast attack like a good SS amp should be. I've always heard it's a clone of the fabled Ampeg VH140 from back when St. Louis Music owned both brands. Personally I don't think it's a full 1:1 copy. Though if memory serves they're pretty darn close tone wise.

Blown away. Jaw is on the floor.

Is there some kind of switcher to get from amp to amp, and each amp into a cab?

Back