Amp Ergonomics

Achilles

Rock Star
All 4 of my amps have the on/off switch on the back panel. On 3 of them it's in-board so you have to blindly reach around at least the AC cord to get to it.

The Duality designers were thinking ergonomics when they did theirs.

D50_rear.jpg

Such a small detail but that's what ergonomics are all about, right?

Any other good or bad examples of this?

Not an amp but this is a terrible knob design and layout.
You set the TIME and REGEN and then MIX, which may need adjusting once the band kicks in.
What % of guitarists are right handed and would normally reach to adjust the mix with their picking hand?

Wanna guess what happens when you try to make a quick tweak mid jam?
Unless you actually concentrate on it you will nick the MASSIVE and sensitive TIME knob,
which royally fucks everything up at that point.

bub.jpg

discovery-expression.jpg

How does this get by a company that I assume is filled with players? I've given this pedal a shot a number of times
and this is actually the #1 reason in ends up back in the closet. Swap the MIX and REGEN positions and make the
TIME knob the same size as the others. Easy.

Single handle on amps and cabs that weigh 20+ kg is infuriating. One of the reasons I converted a Bogner Goldfinger 1x12 combo into a head and cab was that it was nearly 30 kgs and had a single top handle to move it around. With side handles it would have been much more manageable.

Otherwise my beef is regularly used controls in the back. Like Mesa Lonestar's reverb knobs. There is clear room for them on the front panel, but they wanted to keep that space clean for a big Mesa logo instead...

One of the reasons I converted a Bogner Goldfinger 1x12 combo into a head and cab was that it was nearly 30 kgs and had a single top handle to move it around. With side handles it would have been much more manageable.

The original Mesa Marks with the EV12L were up there too and only had the top handle.

Back