NBPAD! A grail one for me… VHT content

JerEvil

Roadie
So as I am amassing more preamps for the home studio, I’ve been wanting to up my power amp game. Got this about a week ago.

I’ve wanted a 2/90/2 for well, basically ever! Found one on Reverb for $1400. Made a lower offer, naturally, and here we are!

This is a pretty early one as you can see with the Power/Standby’s in the middle. What I’ve been told through guys that know, due to some internal stuffs, these are the ones to get.

Anyway, for the 10 minutes it worked it was glorious. Turns out there were 3x KT88’s and 1x 6550 in it. None were anywhere near matched. The mismatch caused the slowblo fuse to blow. Also 2 of the center guide pins were broken off in the tube sockets.

Anyway. Ordered a new quad of 6550’s at the reco of Steve Fryette as he said the recent KT88’s he’s encountered just haven’t been stellar. Anyway, picking it up today from my amp guy.

Thankfully the seller agreed to cover the cost of tubes.

Regardless of the kerfuffle, I’m still stoked for the amp.

Attachments

• A74555F5-3DAF-4BD9-BEBC-2357BFC2FEAA.jpeg
    A74555F5-3DAF-4BD9-BEBC-2357BFC2FEAA.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4782.jpeg
    IMG_4782.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
So as I am amassing more preamps for the home studio, I’ve been wanting to up my power amp game. Got this about a week ago.

I’ve wanted a 2/90/2 for well, basically ever! Found one on Reverb for $1400. Made a lower offer, naturally, and here we are!

This is a pretty early one as you can see with the Power/Standby’s in the middle. What I’ve been told through guys that know, due to some internal stuffs, these are the ones to get.

Anyway, for the 10 minutes it worked it was glorious. Turns out there were 3x KT88’s and 1x 6550 in it. None were anywhere near matched. The mismatch caused the slowblo fuse to blow. Also 2 of the center guide pins were broken off in the tube sockets.

Anyway. Ordered a new quad of 6550’s at the reco of Steve Fryette as he said the recent KT88’s he’s encountered just haven’t been stellar. Anyway, picking it up today from my amp guy.

Thankfully the seller agreed to cover the cost of tubes.

Regardless of the kerfuffle, I’m still stoked for the amp.
You’re a great buyer!
Seriously, you got a steal of a deal on something you always wanted,
-there was a hang-up when you fired up the amp and ran it through its paces.
The seller agreed to get the hang-up sorted,
-you didn’t turn into a vajayjay about it💪
& got a killer pre-amp sittin’ in front of you.
Everybody wins🤘🏻
Good stuff!

You’re a great buyer!
Seriously, you got a steal of a deal on something you always wanted,
-there was a hang-up when you fired up the amp and ran it through its paces.
The seller agreed to get the hang-up sorted,
-you didn’t turn into a vajayjay about it💪
& got a killer pre-amp sittin’ in front of you.
Everybody wins🤘🏻
Good stuff!
Yeah man, the seller was great. He was fine to have me return it or cover the cost of tubes. It was very fair. I do my best to give folks the benefit of the doubt and for the price I got it for, it made no sense to not keep it.

Got it back home last night so I’ll be making a bunch of preamp demos and Kemper/Quad Cortex profiles.

Nice. I've been thinking about selling my Axe II and getting a 2/50/2 to fill the 2U slot it would open up (a rack abhors a vacuum).

Back