BOSS Katana MKIII

Eh ultimately I can spend whatever I want, I just don't find value in dropping 4k on an amp that I am going to use in seedy bars 90% of the time.
Yeah it makes sense to get something that is not that expensive and easily replaceable if that's your situation.

Doesn't make me any more interested in owning a Hot Rod Deluxe or something tho!

"The 100-watt Workhorse of the Katana Gen 3 Lineup Harnessing the power of BOSS’s evolved Tube Logic technology, the BOSS Katana-100 Gen 3 is packed to the brim with valve-inspired tone and classic BOSS effects. This 100-watt, 1 x 12-inch combo supplies you with six distinct amplifier personalities to play with, including Gen 3’s all-new addition of a dynamic edge-of-breakup tone in the “Pushed” voice. Plus, a quick press of the Variation switch unlocks a voice-specific tonal alternative for a grand total of 12 amplifier tonalities. GearNuts’s BOSS pedal fanatics love how the Katana-100 Gen 3’s five independent effects sections deliver a library’s worth of classic stompbox-inspired effects, from spacious ’verbs to ethereal echoes. And even the most discerning tone chasers will find much to love in the Katana-100 Gen 3’s expansive EQ section, comprising a 3-band EQ, 3-way contour control, Presence knob, and Eight Tone Setting memories to instantly"

"The 100-watt Workhorse of the Katana Gen 3 Lineup Harnessing the power of BOSS’s evolved Tube Logic technology, the BOSS Katana-100 Gen 3 is packed to the brim with valve-inspired tone and classic BOSS effects. This 100-watt, 1 x 12-inch combo supplies you with six distinct amplifier personalities to play with, including Gen 3’s all-new addition of a dynamic edge-of-breakup tone in the “Pushed” voice. Plus, a quick press of the Variation switch unlocks a voice-specific tonal alternative for a grand total of 12 amplifier tonalities. GearNuts’s BOSS pedal fanatics love how the Katana-100 Gen 3’s five independent effects sections deliver a library’s worth of classic stompbox-inspired effects, from spacious ’verbs to ethereal echoes. And even the most discerning tone chasers will find much to love in the Katana-100 Gen 3’s expansive EQ section, comprising a 3-band EQ, 3-way contour control, Presence knob, and Eight Tone Setting memories to instantly"
Cool and everything, but reading this adjective overloaden marketing bla bla sometimes makes me so angry I want to punch a baby duck.

somebody on YouTube comments said katana preamps is solid state analog gain stages, like distortion pedal

Seems like they have added 2 new Amps ..... EOB 1 and EOB 2 [Variation] .... so 12 in total .... 2 more than the current model.

If they keep the price point and quality the same, and the Class AB power Amp ...... seems to me i.m.h.o a pretty darn great Gen 3 product (?!?!?)

Also strikes me that whilst these Amps have a great stock speaker, the stock speaker does seem a touch strident .... a Celestion Redback just takes the amp to a whole new level ...... see here

Maybe I'm missing something ?

Ben

Seems to me the gen 3 sounds bigger and "wider", so that's good. I wonder if they've basically upgraded the modeling here to use things from the Boss GT-1000, even if they are not advertising AIRD or whatever here. If Boss is putting tech from that into this budget range, then it might mean a GT-1000 successor is on the way too.

That said, the Katana 100 Gen 3 is 519 € at Thomann, while a Marshall DSL40CR is 666 € :satan. I know I'd rather go for the Marshall with that small price difference, even if it lacks the versatility and effects.

That said, the Katana 100 Gen 3 is 519 € at Thomann, while a Marshall DSL40CR is 666 € :satan. I know I'd rather go for the Marshall with that small price difference, even if it lacks the versatility and effects.
I was thinking the same thing when going over the specs for new models. They do look nice, but the price is so high that I would never get an Artist for instance over a versatile tube amp like the DSL40.

It's out.

Here's a timestamped comparison between Mk2 and 3:

bored jack nicholson GIF

F%ck me ... its a clusterf%cking tough crowd here at TGF sometimes !

Just listen to Axe FX King Burgs demo here.

The range and quality of tones and effects is amazing .. regardless of price.

Some Boss/Roland products are a bit meh ...... but when they do it right they knock it out of the park .... they didn't overly f%ck with the formula .... just made it better .... and there are a few videos already comparing the Gen 2 to Gen 3 and everything else aside, the Gen 3 sounds -in this demo- amazing.

Ben

Last edited:
Back