BOSS GT-1000 Firmware version 4.00

JCW308

Roadie
BOSS GT-1000 firmware version 4.00:

UPDATE HISTORY
[ Ver.4.00 ] JUL 2024
Please refer to the "GT-1000 Parameter Guide" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
Additional Functions
  • 3 original BOSS high-gain amp types have been added to AIRD PREAMP.
    X-ULTRA
    X-OPTIMA
    X-TITAN
    * Preset patches that use the added TYPE settings are contained in P41-1 through P43-5. For details, refer to "GT-1000 Sound List."
  • 6 types of bass amps have been added to AIRD PREAMP.
    STUDIO BASS
    SILVER TUBE
    CLASSIC BLUE
    SOLID STACK
    FAT TUBE
    DARK DRV
  • 2 BOSS distortion types have been added to DISTORTION.
    SD-1
    DS-1
  • The following 3 models have been added to AIRD OUTPUT SELECT.
    KATANA-100/212 GEN 3
    KATANA-100 GEN 3
    KATANA-50 GEN 3
Functionality Improvement
  • You can set time preference in AUTO OFF function at which the power turns off automatically.
Bug Fix
  • Minor bugs have been fixed.

Interesting.

I´ve become to think about Boss units to be subpar, talking about amp sims, with respect to nowadays modelers. I have the perception that they all have been surpased by everyone... even by the cheapest Nux, Mooer or Zoom.

But if they prove they keep on updating, I guess they still got a chance. A little one, though.

However, those bugs in IR management of several units (GX-100 or ME-90) are still not fixed, so it´d be good to see Boss addressing it. Otherwise... meh...

Boss don't / aren't playing the same game as Fractal / Line 6 / QC and others.

In the GT1000 / 1000 Core its all about their original designs .... the Boss Originals and the X-Amps .... forget the legacy stuff ... as I've said before nobody ever bought a GT1000 / Core and kept it for the Legacy Amps.

You buy a GT1000 / Core for

- Transparent
- Natural
- Boutique
- Supreme
- Maximum
- Juggernaut
- X-Crunch
- X-Hi-Gain
- X-Modded
- X-Ultra
- X-Optima
- X-Titan

Each of these has 3 distinct Gain Stages and the controls are extremely sensitive and interactive ... especially the Bass and Mid controls .... Boss have built these ground-up without all the real-world Tube Amp "crap" we all try to dial out.

This bodes very well for current GT / Core owners and very well for the next gen "GT" / "Core".

Ben

@GuitarJon put this new update through its paces earlier today.

Great demo, but i'm not particularly blown away by these tones - and Jon has a knack for making anything sound great.

I agree.

I think this is Jon's first time with a GT unit.

Having spent a lot of time on these, the original amps are not built to respond like Plexi's and Boogie's and Oranges and Fenders etc.... where you almost know where to put the controls before even hitting a chord.

They have a massive-f$ck-ton amount of Gain on Tap so people always way-oversaturate the tones on demo's .... and the EQ controls are extremely sensitive and very-broad-ranging in their tones.

I'm not at all claiming its rocket science or anything like that ..... but you absolutely need to start with your Gain low, keep it in Position 1 or 2 .. dont start at 3 ...... and start with the EQ on 12.00 and go from there .... also very important ...... with so much gain on tap, keep the Sag and Resonance as close to zero / 12.00 as you can as they too are extremely sensitive / impactful.

In short, dialing in the Boss Original / X-Amps is really not much at all like dialing in the "known" / "classic" Amps in the Fractal - Helix worlds.

Ben

PS: The official Boss release video of these Amps is equally ridiculous ..... each of the 3 new Amps is so over-the-top saturated as to be almost non-guitar sounding ...... they were/are clearly trying waaayyyy toooo hard to demonstrate the range these Amps have and it has resulted in border-line unmusical fuzz-chainsaw-tones being demo'ed

Last edited:
I thought they sounded just fine.

I do wonder what this means for a "GX-1000" though if Boss is making updates to the GT-1000 now.

Yep ... same here .... makes me think "GX 1000" is now still some ways away .... although with Boss you really never have any idea :)

Ben

@GuitarJon put this new update through its paces earlier today.

Great demo, but i'm not particularly blown away by these tones - and Jon has a knack for making anything sound great.

It sounds like a boosted Recto to me
But yes , the new amps sound more like just eq curves or different irs
But I do think they sound much better than the prior Recto model

But I do think they sound much better than the prior Recto model

Yeah, but miles ahead from hi-gain offerings by the competition, IMHO.

Even Fender managed to improve on those though, so, here's hoping Boss does the same in time...

Gotta say I just absolutely *love* Boss for not even remotely giving a damn about "authentic" amps. Their amps lend to simply adjusting them rather than constantly thinking "how would you dial in the real deal and does it sound the same?".
Completely agree, not something I'd buy/play myself, but I believe it's a valid and legit approach.

My biggest issue wasn’t that they were original models as much as they sounded and felt much more like they were modeling a drive pedal and not an amp. Not as much depth and sag and often a sharp and brittle high end.

Also the weirdly limited effect models compared to their other devices. And the weird preset blocks.

Also the weirdly limited effect models compared to their other devices. And the weird preset blocks.
Yeah I dont get this at all, first of all, why are the fx so sucky and more importantly, why are only a very few slots actually variable? I don't need 20 delays and EQs, but you are stuck with that

Yeah I dont get this at all, first of all, why are the fx so sucky and more importantly, why are only a very few slots actually variable?

This is a serious question: Given that there's dedicated blocks for drives, compressors, delays, chorus and reverb, for what kinda patch would you actually need more than 3 additional "other" FX?

Yeah I dont get this at all, first of all, why are the fx so sucky and more importantly, why are only a very few slots actually variable? I don't need 20 delays and EQs, but you are stuck with that
EQs and basic delays don't take a whole lot of processing power so Boss decided to make their possible fx chain look impressive by allowing the user to have a lot of those, but far less complex delays, reverbs etc.

I'm guessing all those delay blocks lets them build impressive sounding multidelay presets that impress people in a store, but aren't that practical for most playing situations.

I'm guessing all those delay blocks lets them build impressive sounding multidelay presets that impress people in a store, but aren't that practical for most playing situations.

Yeah, when I was testriding the GT-1000 of a mate for a few days (which, admittedly, is quite a while ago, I'm also sure I missed some things), I wasn't impressed by those delays. Just scrap them all and come up with a second master delay (in case CPU power permits). Keeping track of patches with multiple of those delays is hardly possible, especially in case you have to use the hardware interface.
It's also pretty much an offense that the FX blocks aren't telling you which FX is loaded in there until you select them (but than, that's no different within, say, the HX ecosystem, just that there's more block categories to start with).

EQs and basic delays don't take a whole lot of processing power so Boss decided to make their possible fx chain look impressive by allowing the user to have a lot of those, but far less complex delays, reverbs etc.

Not so sure it's all for deception. I've been using my GT-1000 for acoustic, electric and bass for several gigs a week since the day it wa released and it's been rock solid and sounds great for all types of music including ambient, rock, jazz, blues and P&W. I tried many other modelers and always came back to the GT-1000.

Not so sure it's all for deception. I've been using my GT-1000 for acoustic, electric and bass for several gigs a week since the day it wa released and it's been rock solid and sounds great for all types of music including ambient, rock, jazz, blues and P&W. I tried many other modelers and always came back to the GT-1000.
I'm not really saying it's deception, just using the processing power they have for more "cheap" effects that might not be enough to have say another complex delay or reverb.

Back