Best way to increase volume on a Helix clean tone?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
I rarely ever use true, pristine clean tones. Normally all the gain all the time. But, I would like to dial in some nice clean tones for contrast in songs, clean intros, etc.

The few that are built into the HX Edit are ok, but for whatever reason I can't get them into my DAW anywhere near as hot as my gain presets. I've tried using the Helix ones, building my own, etc. Put OD pedals in front with gain to zero and level to max, added volume pedals and run gain up there, pushed the channel and master on the amps themselves... still can't get great volume to the DAW.

Doesn't seem to matter if I use a humbucking guitar, single coils or my Yamaha acoustic-electric... same low volume every time.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Anything from how to build a build a beautifully pristine clean preset from the ground up to how to get the track hotter for recording would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

I rarely ever use true, pristine clean tones. Normally all the gain all the time. But, I would like to dial in some nice clean tones for contrast in songs, clean intros, etc.

The few that are built into the HX Edit are ok, but for whatever reason I can't get them into my DAW anywhere near as hot as my gain presets. I've tried using the Helix ones, building my own, etc. Put OD pedals in front with gain to zero and level to max, added volume pedals and run gain up there, pushed the channel and master on the amps themselves... still can't get great volume to the DAW.

Doesn't seem to matter if I use a humbucking guitar, single coils or my Yamaha acoustic-electric... same low volume every time.

Any advice is highly appreciated. Anything from how to build a build a beautifully pristine clean preset from the ground up to how to get the track hotter for recording would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Are you using Helix as your interface? If not, how are you connecting Helix to your interface?

still can't get great volume to the DAW.
Either you're not correctly explaining the problem, or you're doing something very wrong.
If you need more volume from Helix, you can get on almost every block. Channel on amp, level on cab block, on eq block, on gain block, on output "block"... No reason you can't get clean to be loud enough.

Anything from how to build a build a beautifully pristine clean preset from the ground up
You can try this one, start with it and see if it works for you:

If you need more volume from Helix, you can get on almost every block. Channel on amp, level on cab block, on eq block, on gain block, on output "block"... No reason you can't get clean to be loud enough.

This! And that's why I was wondering whether we're really talking about input levels or perceived loudness.

Are you using Helix as your interface? If not, how are you connecting Helix to your interface?
Running into a Scarlet 2i2.
What do you mean with that? Volume as on your input level meters or as in perceived volume?
Level on the meters. As in my OD tones just tickle the yellow/red. The clean ones aren’t even half way there. I’d prefer to not mess with the global volume in the Helix or channel volume in the Daw if at all possible.

I know there are a variety of places to push the level in the various blocks, but some seem to skew the tone etc. So, I’m just looking for an education on that part. I’ve been using Helix/Fractal modelers for about 5 years now, but have never really bothered to dial in a good clean tone. I have no issues whatsoever dialing in a high gain one.

Running into a Scarlet 2i2.

Level on the meters.

I know there are a variety of places to push the level in the various blocks, but some seem to skew the tone etc. So, I’m just looking for an education on that part. I’ve been using Helix/Fractal modelers for about 5 years now, but have never really bothered to dial in a good clean tone. I have no issues whatsoever dialing in a high gain one.
Pushing level before an amp, an OD or a compressor (or something that clips/compresses/saturates like a tape emulation) will change the tone. Otherwise should be clean.

but some seem to skew the tone etc.

Those not skewing the tone:

- Channel Volume of the amp block (don't mix that up with Master Volume - which *is* changing the tone).
- Gain block.
- EQ block with nothing touched but output level.
- Output block.

Now, all of these could still alter the tone in case some dynamic processing is following (such as a compressor after a gain block, or maybe even your output block causing your DAW input level to clip), but the rules to follow are rather trivial; just boost your level after the last block relevant for the patch without overloading the Helix output (look at the meter) or your DAWs input. If you follow that, you should be fine.

- Cab block

Oh, right. Pretty good catch.
Apart from that, you could as well use all delay and reverb blocks with the mix set to 0 (need to make sure the dry through option for the tape thingies is switched on), but I gather that's not exactly what anyone would do.

Really? I don't have this problem at all. my clean snapshot doesn't use any boost or drive block in front, just the amp block on fairly stock settings and it sounds plenty loud in our daw.

Is it that your gain sound is too loud? i would lower the ch volume on your dirty amp block so its level with your clean or just a little louder and then increase the output in the very last output block so that they both increase together to just under clipping in your daw.

Thanks for the ideas/education. I’ll play around with it more when I get off work later today.

And, you might be onto something Sleewell, but I have like 25 high gain custom presets - trying volume match all those sounds tedious and gotnotimeforthat-ish. 😂 But that might be the best solution in the long run.

but I have like 25 high gain custom presets - trying volume match all those sounds tedious and gotnotimeforthat-ish.

Adjusting overall volumes for 25 patches would possibly take me less than 5 minutes.
Assuming they're leveled properly within this group and in case you have a free block somewhere at the end of the signal chain (ideally directly before the output block), it'd be like:
- Load patch
- Insert gain block
- Adjust gain block
- Save patch
- Copy gain block
- Load next patch
- Paste gain block
- Save patch
etc.

If the output block on all these patches was the same, it'd be even easier as you wouldn't have to abuse a gain block (copy/paste works just the same way).

A very quick and easy adjustment.

The cab block is usually -18. Try adjusting it to -15 or -12 or something around there until you get a match for a particular clean preset volume wise with your gainier ones.

A very quick and easy adjustment.

The cab block is usually -18. Try adjusting it to -15 or -12 or something around there until you get a match for a particular clean preset with your gainier ones.

While possible and quite easy, I would likely not do it that way. Just assume you might want to fool around with different cabs later on, that'd always cause a volume jump compared to the saved status and hence require additional adjustment.

While possible and quite easy, I would likely not do it that way. Just assume you might want to fool around with different cabs later on, that'd always cause a volume jump compared to the saved status and hence require additional adjustment.
Oh man, you're gonna get along great around here.

I would just readjust it at that point. What’s your specific recommendation?

Back