~BEER~

Moondog Wily

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Yes, that is me SHOUTING in the title! I LOVE BEER (gotta blame my ancestors for this addiction)!! As a result, the more I love something, the more entrenched in my thinking I become about that product ;~)) Curious though, what is your favorite beer? What types of beer to you lean towards? Any good beer specific stories you can tell us? Let's talk BEER!!!

I'll start ;~))

Favorite beer ever is Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome!!!!!!! It is only brewed over the holiday season each year, but is a delight in every way for me. My fav used to be Hofbrau Oktoberfest, but when I could not find it for 20 years or so in the 90's and early 00's, I had to find a new fav. That let me into the Samuel Smith world of wonders. In my opinion, it is the best brewing company in the world not just because it brews my favorite beer, but because EVERY beer I have tried from them is tops in its game! If you have never tried their products, give them a go! Shakespeare used to drink it, literally. From Tadcaster England.

I also love porters, stouts, bocks, red ales, brown ales and most other dark beers (but I will not drink Guiness unless it is on tap, properly poured and at the right temperature)! In a pinch, I am happy with a Necastle Brown Ale any day! Hot summer day, give me a ice cold Rolling Rock and I am a happy camper!!! I HATE IPA's (sorry sheeple, look at the origin history of why this is not even a "proper" beer)!

Looking forward to hear what others like and associated stories (and the flames I will lick up based on my hate of the IPA's)! BEER ON!!!

Well I was going to recommend a couple of IPAs before I got to the bottom of your post. :cry:

Did you try the Rush Golden Ale yet? Or is that too close to an IPA in flavour? Golden Ale is effectively a Blonde, right? I find it delicious.

1701030399607.png

Do you like any Blondes beers, @Moondog Wily ?

If I had to choose one style of beer from here on out it'd be a Hefeweisen. My favorite is Weihenstephaner, but I like Paulaner and others.
I don't drink much these days though.
LOVE Hefeweisens, my apologies to that genre that I did not mention. My favorite that I have tried (and used to drink a LOT of) is Paulaner with yeast (they have with and without versions, or at least, they used to)!!

Well I was going to recommend a couple of IPAs before I got to the bottom of your post. :cry:

Did you try the Rush Golden Ale yet? Or is that too close to an IPA in flavour? Golden Ale is effectively a Blonde, right? I find it delicious.

View attachment 14476

Do you like any Blondes beers, @Moondog Wily ?
Ahh, it's not all about me! Feel free to scream from the top of the mountain about how great IPA's are!! No different than your choice in modelers/amps/guitars, it is all personal preference ;~))

The only Blonde beer that I can name that I have tried was called Bikini Blonde from I think Maui Brewing Company! It was good, but I would reach for it as a "hot day" beer rather than my evening beer ;~))

I occasionally like a Blue Moon draft, in a frosted mug. Used to drink a lot of beer in the summer, on Friday afternoons, back when I framed houses exclusively. I'd send one of the guys for a case at lunchtime, open it and just throw a bag of ice over the bottles (HAS to be bottles; I can't stand cans), then we'd hang out and drink after we wrapped up for the day.

But I was a lot younger, and neither me nor any of my guys ever gave a thought to the possible ramifications of driving home after pounding ~4 beers.

I loved Beer a little too much in the past. I still do. Have had to make a concerted effort
to really limit intake in the past month or so. So far so good! I am noticing a big difference
in things like digestion, heartburn, sleep, and energy.

I'll always love Beer. Just going to hold it a little more lightly the rest of my days. Lord knows I have
consumed enough of it since my teenage years for more than a few men. :guiness

I'll be back to share faves and inspire others to overconsume, since I don't anymore. :ROFLMAO:

Best Canadian beer I ever tried was the lager from Niagra Brewing company! Picked some up when I crossed the border while traveling to a Dead show in the northern New York area in the early 90's. Liked it so much, I went back over the border to grab another case before we left that region! I also purchased a baseball cap from there which is so unlike me (wearing branded stuff) but I really loved that beer!!!

Huuuuge beer fan here.

I am the token IPA guy, but in my defense, it all started with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Red Hook ESB in the late 90's so I'm OG. (yes I know they're not technically ipa's)

The market is saturated with crap now but I can say that Sierra Nevada still brings it.

I look forward to their fresh hop ipa Celebration every year. Delicious.

I have 12 pack in the fridge now... err... an 8 pack.
20231126_211629.jpg

Yes, I just took that pic and yes, that's why I'm chatty tonight and the indica vape on the coffee table may have something to do with it too

Huuuuge beer fan here.

I am the token IPA guy, but in my defense, it all started with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Red Hook ESB in the late 90's so I'm OG. (yes I know they're not technically ipa's)

The market is saturated with crap now but I can say that Sierra Nevada still brings it.

I look forward to their fresh hop ipa Celebration every year. Delicious.

I have 12 pack in the fridge now... err... an 8 pack.
View attachment 14501
Yes, I just took that pic and yes, that's why I'm chatty tonight and the indica vape on the coffee table may have something to do with it too
Now SNPA is NOT an IPA, but simply a PA AFIK! I used to order them in the 90's and ask bartenders and wait staff if they had "Snappa" and they would look at me all confused, then I would be like "You know, SNPA"!! Enjoyed that beer and will still drink it over just about any IPA!!! Never cared too much for the Celebration, but I did drink quite a few of those bad boys back in the day when it was at hand and I did not have other options (I have no problem with IPA alcohol %, it is IPA's only redeeming quality IMO) ;~)) Glad to see you are enjoying this years offering!!!

Had a friend working in a craft beer shop so he gave recommendations all the time for fresh batches of hip stuff, it was pretty awsome.
Sucked when he got another job..

But I got kinda tired of it eventually, but I enjoy buying some good stuff from time to time still. Give me a fewsh, clean lager and I'm pretty happy.
I think the highlights are visiting the Pilsner Urqell brewery i Plzen, Czech Republic two years ago.
Got to taste unfiltered and unpasteurized pilsner straight from the barrel, a religious experience!
1701062193790.jpeg

That beer is from their benchmark/control brew which they still brew in the old original barrels, which the mordern product is compared to , to ensure the same quality.
1701062290239.jpeg

The second highlight was my friend called me and told me to RUN to a shop with a few remaning bottles of Westvleteren 12 left and I made it in time! What a beer...

1701062482931.jpeg

Now SNPA is NOT an IPA, but simply a PA AFIK! I used to order them in the 90's and ask bartenders and wait staff if they had "Snappa" and they would look at me all confused, then I would be like "You know, SNPA"!! Enjoyed that beer and will still drink it over just about any IPA!!! Never cared too much for the Celebration, but I did drink quite a few of those bad boys back in the day when it was at hand and I did not have other options (I have no problem with IPA alcohol %, it is IPA's only redeeming quality IMO) ;~)) Glad to see you are enjoying this years offering!!!
yeah, I know.. it's like a gateway drug to IPA's tho... ask me how I know.

Never heard it called Snappa before, but I moved away from the bay area shortly after I was 21 so whadda I know :beer

Back