Axe-FX III Dyna-Cabs

I've been saying for ages, a speaker sounds different in all 360 degrees from center.
Yes, it does, especially for multi-speaker cabinets. Not surprising because the closer you are to other speakers the more interference you get from them. It's even more noticeable as you pull the mic back from the speaker (again, not surprising).

We actually captured the entire speaker for this Dyna-Cab stuff. I then auditioned radially and found that I preferred the IRs that moved away from the other speakers. I.e. for a 4x12 I preferred a radial line from the center to the nearest corner of the cabinet.

Even single speaker cabs I heard a difference in some cases. For example, our Tweed 1x12 the speaker is off-center on the baffle board so it doesn't sound the same moving left vs. right.

Even single speaker cabs I heard a difference in some cases. For example, our Tweed 1x12 the speaker is off-center on the baffle board so it doesn't sound the same moving left vs. right.
Yep, that's the actual speaker not so the baffle.
My 1x12 is centered in a symmetric cab and still sounds different in all radial directions, when the speaker is rotated inside the cab the sound rotates with it.
Great that you chose the best sounding direction, very good decision.

Pro tip: the fact that you've said it for so long doesn't make it true. FYI, the demo in the video doesn't establish that either.
Please contact Mikko and tell him his experience with many dozens of vintage cabs is a delusion. :LOL:

Yes, it does, especially for multi-speaker cabinets.
That's caused by local acoustics (which include the cab and neighboring transducers). It is not caused by the behavior of a speaker.

This is also caused by local acoustics.

In addition to the contributions of the cab and nearby transducers to local acoustics, there are nearby room boundaries and other reflective/diffusive surfaces. There are also potential contributions from the nearfield behavior of directional microphones.

That's caused by local acoustics (which include the cab and neighboring transducers). It is not caused by the behavior of a speaker.
Of course it is. I didn't imply that it wasn't. I even stated it was due to the neighboring speakers. Seems obvious to even a layman I would think.

Wut?

Sorry… The guy has no credibility.

Who in the world thinks they have American first amendment rights which restrict feds/goobers re: free citizens, on somebody’s private forum? WTF?

Sad Baby GIF

Mean Clifford is my victimology!

Unfortunately, he is FAR from the only one.

something like this
It depends on how loosely you define "something".

Similar interfaces exist, yes. That the actual technology is based on IRs, yes. Everything beyond that is what makes the Dyna-Cabs stand out. I've used IRs for a long time and similar interfaces, but nothing had this quality of sound.

Hahahaha ok that was pretty impressive. That was definitely the fastest I ever got an IR paired up with an amp. I used an empty preset and just made an amp/cab chain, started with a 65’ Bassman and the Bassman 2x12, I think that took maybe 5 seconds to find the spot on the cab with the condenser mic. Went to the 5153 Red channel next with the 5153 cab and ended up playing with multiple mic combinations after getting a usable tone in maybe 10-15 seconds.

That’s a trip, man. I can certainly see why people are saying they’d ditch the Legacy cabs. Pllllleeeeaaasssseee @York Audio, go to town with this robot!!!!!!

Hahahaha ok that was pretty impressive. That was definitely the fastest I ever got an IR paired up with an amp. I used an empty preset and just made an amp/cab chain, started with a 65’ Bassman and the Bassman 2x12, I think that took maybe 5 seconds to find the spot on the cab with the condenser mic. Went to the 5153 Red channel next with the 5153 cab and ended up playing with multiple mic combinations after getting a usable tone in maybe 10-15 seconds.

That’s a trip, man. I can certainly see why people are saying they’d ditch the Legacy cabs. Pllllleeeeaaasssseee @York Audio, go to town with this robot!!!!!!

That has me excited! :banana

My impression was Justin was already working with Cliff on this Beta, and volunteered some of his
own cabs in the process. :idk

I'm really hoping Justin does up his VHT cab as a Dyna-Cab. I'm still waiting for the official release as I don't want to get used to anything in the betas that may change, but I'm greatly looking forward to playing with these.

Oh and @FractalAudio ; with no hyperbole, no sarcasm, and all the sincerity I can put forth: THANK YOU FOR INCLUDING THE RUMBLE 4X12! I love that cab so much that I've been planning on actually having a TL806Q built to make my own IRs with using mics and preamps of my choosing.

I hadn't been paying attention to this thread, seeing as how I don't own (nor do I anticipate owning) an AFXIII. It was clear that the FW introduced two elements: 1) a UI that facilitates navigation among several presumably related IRs, and 2) an interpolation algorithm that morphs IRs to "in-between" spots not represented by an actual IR.

All the above is fine - it essentially adds to user-accessible IR parameters - but, in five pages so far, not one person has mentioned what is arguably the biggest development. I quote Cliff:

"The Amp block now features “Auto Dyna-Cab Impedance”. When set to ON the speaker impedance curve of the Amp block will follow the Cabinet Type in the first mixer slot of the associated Cabinet block."

Discuss....

Back