Axe-FX III Dyna-Cabs

I’m definitely not looking at this to revolutionize the way I go about dialing in tones, but more of an area I’ll have that much more control over. There are times I’m picking IR’s and the difference between IR #2 and IR #3 isn’t huge, but neither are exactly what I’m going for because I want what’s between 2 and 3. Or sometimes I’m thinking “Man, if I could just angle this mic a pinch it’d be there!”

Just some finer detail that wasn’t available before.

Definitely anxious to see what the 3rd party market does with this. If York rents that robot I’ll have no problem re-purchasing some cab packs I already own.

See, if that was my experience I’d be super excited about this

I hear ya.

On the other hand, FAS has been criticized for their on-device IR management and user experience in the past - so this is them responding to that. It might not be for you but it will help many other users and potentially attract new customers that have stayed away because they've heard that the UI is hard to work with.

Absolutely! I’m sure this is going to be really exciting for a lot of people and be a huge QOL improvement, and I’m glad for them and hope they’re excited and that this fixes problems they’ve been having.

It’s just not exciting for me personally because it’s not solving any problem I personally have.

I haven’t even opened the list of factory IRs in years. I could probably use nothing but Mix 1 of the $1 York Mesa 212 and be perfectly happy for the rest of my playing life

To me this update is more about the huge leap in interface design. So, I've never complained about Fractal's interface. I know some people who have, but I've always preferred Fractal's (and particularly, Axe Edit's) interface for Amp and Effects tweaking. For cabs though, the new system is just so much better to work with. Of course Fractal wasn't the first company to setup a cab interface this way, let's not go the way of Apple fans and act as if Fractal invented the method. But, out of all the companies that have presented cab software with "move the mic" interfaces like this, I have no idea which ones actually did it right and which ones simply took a very small handful of IR's and just added a bunch of EQ filters to it, giving the user, like, a High Cut knob and simply naming it the "Cap <-> Edge" control or whatever in order to fake it.

Whatever, the point is that I find the workflow of "pick a cab -> then pick a mic -> then place it in the best spot" infinitely more usable and intuitive than "here's a clickable wall of a billion different IR's of vague description, choose wisely and remember to rest your eyes every 30 minutes and take bathroom breaks when needed."

My point is that last night I fired up the new Fractal DynaCab beta and, in maybe three minutes, I was able to get a better core tone out of the newly available cabs and mics than I have been able to get from the core tones in all my previous favorite patches. Of course it doesn't hurt that I know exactly what I like, and that all my favorite cab types are included in the beta. Also, just so this post isn't seen as hyperbolic, it's worth noting that the DynaCab system didn't instantly make me sound light years better than my current IR blend, but it was better, and I was able to get there in almost no time at all, where I used to spend way too much time auditioning through lists of individual IR's. That's huge.

Also, and this really should be acknowledged... there is no zippering effect or audible gaps when moving the virtual mics around (aka transitioning around between lots of individual IRs representing the current mic placement). This is great, and I think it's a significant key to the new system working as well as it does compared to the List method. When you can move a virtual mic around in real time and listen to the change in sound as it happens, it's easy to really zero in on the best tones. When you're manually clicking on lists and hearing hard transitions between one IR and the next, your ears really have a tough time adjusting and evaluating what's happening.

Basically, I can't say enough good things about the new system, and I really can't wait to sit down and nerd out for a couple hours when the full release goes live.

Last edited:
Also, and this really should be acknowledged... there is no zippering effect or audible gaps when moving the virtual mics around (aka transitioning around between lots of individual IRs representing the current mic placement). This is great, and I think it's a significant key to the new system working as well as it does compared to the List method. When you can move a virtual mic around in real time and listen to the change in sound as it happens, it's easy to really zero in on the best tones. When you're manually clicking on lists and hearing hard transitions between one IR and the next, your ears really have a hard time evaluating what's happening.

I haven’t played with it yet but noticed this in Leon’s video and that’s huge for me. I can’t remember what I was trying it on, but hearing a gap or sputter between positions was throwing me off because it’s just not the way I’m used to hearing a mic being moved across a cabinet. It was almost like the gap reset my hearing and was making it harder for me to detect the differences. This is much, much welcomed for me.

However, Two-Notes has had something like this for years now, correct?
  • 2017, maybe earlier: Two Notes releases their cab sim thing with movable mic/position/angle. How it worked under the hood I do not know.
  • 2019: ML Sound Lab MIKKO is the first to offer a cab sim that lets you adjust not only the mic position/distance/angle but also adjust it all around the cone. It also supports mixing up to 9 different cab/mic combinations together and you can export it in mono, stereo, different sample rates and more. They have just released MIKKO 2 that has a ton of cabs and an updated UI. I think it's still the most advanced cab sim plugin on the market.
  • 2020: Quad Cortex 2 is the first hardware unit to my knowledge to offer movable mic UI on the device itself.
  • 2022: Line6 brings a new cab sim system with Helix 3.5 firmware.
  • 2023: Tonex has the VIR cabs feature in their pedal.
  • 2023: Fractal brings their own cab sim system.

• 2017, maybe earlier: Two Notes releases their cab sim thing with movable mic/position/angle. How it worked under the hood I do not know.
  • 2019: ML Sound Lab MIKKO is the first to offer a cab sim that lets you adjust not only the mic position/distance/angle but also adjust it all around the cone. It also supports mixing up to 9 different cab/mic combinations together and you can export it in mono, stereo, different sample rates and more. They have just released MIKKO 2 that has a ton of cabs and an updated UI. I think it's still the most advanced cab sim plugin on the market.
  • 2020: Quad Cortex 2 is the first hardware unit to my knowledge to offer movable mic UI on the device itself.
IK vir - 2021
Overloud TH-U has had different versions of movable mic position on cabs, for several years even before Mikko. they’re third version now I believe. Don’t know if that counts for anything though.

Actually...the Boss GT-10 had this feature back in 2008 choice of 4 mics, distance (though only 2 distances), and position. You could even create a custom cab choosing the size and number of speakers. Granted...this was likely cabinet modeling vs IR's, but the interface idea has been out there for a long, long time.

On device, "vast improvement" in a single update is pretty cool. Not sure being a "front runner" is that important.

Changes my world a lot.

And that’s really all I care about!

mean homer simpson GIF

For me it’s just kind of a “if it ain’t broke” kind of thing.

Pulling up the mix IR I already know I love is always going to be faster/easier than making my own mix. Even if it’s just a single cab + mic.

I haven’t cycled through IRs in years, I’ve got a favorite mix for each of my go-to cabs and I stick with those.

That’s just me personally and the way I do it. I’m sure for many others this is a great new feature

This is likely going to be most interesting for those of us who grew up placing physical mics, where a UI in the box (or editor) like this is a big time saver due to familiarity when dialing in new tones. For others, not so much. I've got a couple York packs, surprisingly the only purchased IR I use is 1 mix IR from the $1 pack. I tend to prefer a couple Leon Todd IRs and a handful of stock IRs (though 1 of those is actually a York IR as well). Very much looking forward to this if it makes it to the FM3, othewrwise I'll continue to use the IRs I use today.

This is likely going to be most interesting for those of us who grew up placing physical mics, where a UI in the box (or editor) like this is a big time saver due to familiarity when dialing in new tones. For others, not so much. I've got a couple York packs, surprisingly the only purchased IR I use is 1 mix IR from the $1 pack. I tend to prefer a couple Leon Todd IRs and a handful of stock IRs (though 1 of those is actually a York IR as well). Very much looking forward to this if it makes it to the FM3, othewrwise I'll continue to use the IRs I use today.

Yeah, definitely!

I grew up just throwing a 57 in front of my speaker. So messing with different mics and positions isn’t something that was ever part of my workflow

Yep, it’s exactly because of the experience of dragging a mic across a speaker that makes me anxious to try it and it’s the exact experience missing from the IR search; getting closer to the just-right spot and being able to go a bit past it just to be sure you found it. A lot of times with IR’s I’m getting to that spot and then it jumps to a different mic or the sweet spot just never comes.

Yup. My understanding is that Justin also collaborated on this and these are all newly shot IRs.
Call it a wild guess but I would not be surprised if Dynmount robot 2
Is in Nashville with Justin. Perhaps in the next dozen cabs we will see 3 or 4 of his
I know some of the impedence curves were measure from some of his cabs
The Mesa 212, Bogner and Zilla are all his real cabs

Back