Axe-FX III Dyna-Cabs

It's a function of the axial response of the speaker relative to the mic position. The speaker doesn't sound different, it sounds like the speaker. Stand in front of a speaker and listen move 5 steps to the right and listen. Notice the change? Room reflections can reinforce frequencies as well, but that's not what we're talking about here.
I think you didn't get what I and @James Freeman were talking about. We know that moving a mic off-axis changes the frequency response the mic picks up, we were talking about if it sounds different moving it in different directions (e.g. 1 cm up vs 1 cm down) and the possible causes of those differences.

Yes, Mikko is saying that in his video too.
The entire surface (on grille cloth) of the speaker has different sounds.

At the very minimum try 4 radial directions when micing a real cab, preferably 8.
You might find that South-West sounds the best, for example.

Yes, Mikko is saying that in his video too.
The entire surface (on grille cloth) of the speaker has different sounds.

At the very minimum try 4 radial direction when micing a real cab, preferably 8.
You might find that South-West sounds the best, for example.
I read the thread you linked above btw and I think you've proven quite well that the response changes mainly due to speaker asimmetries, but I still think that the other factors I mentioned earlier influence the frequency response as well to some degree, especially interference from nearby speakers in 2x12s, 4x12s, etc.

hip hop romeo GIF by WE tv

Fractal has said they used 6 mics to make those IRs.
  • We already know the "dynamic" option is a SM57, but they had a SM7 mic as well.
  • That means the other 4 are likely to be two ribbon and two condenser mics.
  • Royer 121 and Beyerdynamic M160 are likely candidates for ribbons, though I wish they used the Shure KSM 313 because that sounds great on some of the Fractal factory IRs.
  • For condensers Neumann 184 and/or Audio Technica AT4047 seem likely, possibly an AKG C414 as that was used on some of the factory IRs.
Fractal says that along with the 25 cabs in the beta, they plan to add about a dozen more.

That means that either:
  1. They need more work to release more mics for each cab and now want to just release all the cabs with a limited set of mics to get the feature out.
  2. There's a memory/storage constraint that prevents more mics. Fractal would want to allocate some space for future cabs, 3rd party Dyna-cabs etc so that space might be better left available by not having as many mic options on the factory cabs.
After trying the feature yesterday, IMO 3 mics is more than enough. Most users are not particularly picky about the specific mic model but would be interested in the character differences between the mic types and the 3 mics cover that very well, giving you plenty of options to set up the mics to complement each other.

I could see adding another flavor or two of dynamic. The 57 is a classic but the 421 is very widely used, as is the 609.

For ribbons, the 121 is plenty IMO. The 160 and 313 are nice to have as well, but almost always when you are using a ribbon you're looking for warmth and that the 121 does that.

For condensers, I could see a Neumann U67 or U87, or an AKG C414. Honestly most of the time they sound pretty similar for electric guitar, so picking one and sticking with it seems fine.

Cool news that FAS users got an easy way to tweak the cab block
But I did see this and I wonder way they did it this way
In Axe Edit the speaker is pointing this way -----
But on the Axe Fx UI it`s pointing downwards, hmmm

Cliff said he’s been working on this for a year… Has anyone thought through the implications of adding another microphone pragmatically? They shot 6 and kept 3.

You would have to set up the robot again for all the different cabinets (move those around too) just add one microphone.

Maybe 🤔

Or maybe, they made their decision already … 3rd party producers

Season 6 Amc GIF by Better Call Saul

People using it seem to really like it.

I’ll be down loading in a couple hours.

Cool news that FAS users got an easy way to tweak the cab block
But I did see this and I wonder way they did it this way
In Axe Edit the speaker is pointing this way -----
But on the Axe Fx UI it`s pointing downwards, hmmm
Takes less space on screen I suppose. I do agree it's another Axe-Fx inconsistency tho.

They could just move distance up and then flip the speaker I guess in Edit
Yeah it's probably easier to use the way it is, with the dot and the knobs on the same side. If anything Axe-Fx onboard UI could be better if the speaker graphic was the same way as on Axe-Edit. But maybe that "feels" better with the way it is since the controls are under the graphic and maybe it feels more intuitive to move that way.

Yeah it's probably easier to use the way it is, with the dot and the knobs on the same side. If anything Axe-Fx onboard UI could be better if the speaker graphic was the same way as on Axe-Edit. But maybe that "feels" better with the way it is since the controls are under the graphic and maybe it feels more intuitive to move that way.
My eyes just noticed it, I would make it the same if I was doing it as a fresh start

Who's this guy? :wat

My guess was the dumble fumbler from FAS whose logo was the circle of fifths, and I believe his username began with Tex

Had interesting Dumbo knowledge, but was constantly arguing on the topic

Looks like there’s a real name posted in that thread, though?

My guess was the dumble fumbler from FAS whose logo was the circle of fifths, and I believe his username began with Tex

Had interesting Dumbo knowledge, but was constantly arguing on the topic

Looks like there’s a real name posted in that thread, though?
Yeah, TexAxe aka Tonefarm.

Oh oh … maestro … the icon orientation is inconsistent and confuses me … can’t make das toanz!

😩

565599FA-46CE-4C18-8E32-B49BD32DF3D1.jpeg

Back