Atomic Tonocracy (Inc NAM support)

Sorry, yeah I should explain the MUCH better thing.

Honestly, I don't think the Genome amp models are very good at all, I think all the value in Genome is the ability to load NAM/AIDA-X/GuitarML models and combine them with Two Notes vast cab engine. The cab engine and GUI is the strongest aspect of Genome and maybe the weakest part of Tonocracy so its quite easy to have opposite but equally valid views on which is better.

I think Tonocracy's schemaccurate models fare much better than those in Genome (and thats where I think its much better), and Tonocracy also has the means to create models which Genome doesn't. Those 2 things alone are things that Atomic would be well within their right to charge money for IMO. There's absolutely no way I'd spend any money on Genome based purely on the amp modelling, but I think if Tonocracy's models were presented with nice GUI's and all the amp channels and modes (and common features we expect of amp sim plugins in 2024) then I could potentially see me spending money on them.

Both are very lacking in FX at the moment.

Wow, I 100% agree with this. I honestly thought noone on these forums sees things like I do...

Wow, I 100% agree with this. I honestly thought noone on these forums sees things like I do...
dumb and dumber harry GIF

I hate to bang on this drum, but I can’t say I’m sold on the idea of more hardware from Atomic. I’ve never seen so many “I sent my broken gadget back and they ghosted me” comments about another company.
Atomic is great at innovating but really bad at being a company. IMO. Everything they do has this under resourced vibe. They need to try to grow enough that they can get acquired by someone capable of scaling their business.

Last edited:
Although I totally respect your opinion. I'm baffled by the MUCH better comment. When it comes down to it they can both load NAM profiles with the upper hand going to Two Notes as an IR loader. Neither totally impress me on the effects front but both can be used. From a DAW perspective, it's a moot point but porting into hardware would be a different story.
You raise terrific points about hardware in your post.
Regardless it's not a coincidence to me that last week Genome comes out with many people receiving loyalty copies of the software for free and now Tonocracy lifts its pricing.
They are competing for the same audience.
You think a small company does this within 3 business days instead of pondering the financial feasibility of refunds for a while. Doubtful

Personally Tom and Atomic have always right. So as someone that endorsed the Atomic stuff from day one take my opinion with a bucket of salt.

Software I already prefer to others.
Everything they’ve prior for my tastes was preferable to the competing digi boxes of the time. So I got hit goes here.

The new EVH model is excellent btw, I think its (Tono)crazy* that they're giving all this away for nothing, so its worth grabbing regardless. UI is ugly as shit though, please hire someone to make the amps look as good as they sound.

Scream Queens Slap GIF
Really is that what is important? How they look in a Kemper or Fractal?

Really is that what is important? How they look in a Kemper or Fractal?
Should we compare how it looks to hardware that hasn’t ever made software ports, or should we compare plugins to other plugins?

And yes, if the sound is good then why not present it as best as possible? That’s what the competition does. And if the goal is to do something unified that translates to hardware well, then it needs to be less of a halfway house and more like Helix or Axe Edit or Kemper’s Rig Manager.

IMG_6273.jpeg

IMG_6276.jpeg
IMG_6277.png
IMG_6274.png
IMG_6278.jpeg

These emulations are all pretty great sounding. They’re not just making them look nice because they’re idiots.

I am sorry, I don't play the looks of a plug in or a guitar. The sound is what matters to me. Tonocracy HAS that sound

I am sorry, I don't play the looks of a plug in or a guitar. The sound is what matters to me. Tonocracy HAS that sound
This post came off very snarky sounding. I did not mean it that way... That said, as long as I can get around a GUI fine, the looks don't really inspire me. It is simply the sound.

Guitars, if it plays great and sounds great, that is the inspiration for me.

Just don't hand me a Wangcaster, please.

I don’t mind a nice look but it really needs to be function over form for me if both can’t be achieved. I hate it when they made it look great but at the expense of easy and logical layout. Too often with these things the good looking GUI is in the way of sensible layout.ive had the Tonocracy app since day one and I literally never realized it looks much less impressive in terms of models/realism/ etc.until today from this thread.

Should we compare how it looks to hardware that hasn’t ever made software ports, or should we compare plugins to other plugins?

And yes, if the sound is good then why not present it as best as possible? That’s what the competition does. And if the goal is to do something unified that translates to hardware well, then it needs to be less of a halfway house and more like Helix or Axe Edit or Kemper’s Rig Manager.

View attachment 18492

View attachment 18494View attachment 18495View attachment 18493View attachment 18496

These emulations are all pretty great sounding. They’re not just making them look nice because they’re idiots.
To me the looks don’t matter.
Make it sound right and I’m good.

Ask L6 about Helix Native vs Metalurgy

Last edited:
To me the looks don’t matter.
Make it sound right and I’m good.

Ask L6 about Helix Native vs Metalurgy
The way those are designed, the UI doesn’t hamper the experience in the way it does with Tonocracy. Helix is nearly 10 years old and it still makes the Tonocracy UI feel like some kind of early dev alpha version.

I’m not saying that Tonocracy has to look like real gear, but if it’s going to have amp style knobs on the UI, then it’s pointless unless they actually offer some sort of benefit (like being able to distinguish one piece of gear from another at a quick glance).

The “plain” view in Tonocracy doesn’t take advantage of that approach either, Helix is fast/intuitive/logical, and most importantly, looks the way it does so it has parity across a range of hardware. You don’t have to scroll past your IR’s when you are looking for a delay pedal. If they’re going to try and copy Helix’s UI, they should copy what makes it nice to use rather than just how it roughly appears on screen. All they had to do was look at the various products on the market over the last decade and understand what’s made them successful. A good UI would make Helix or Neural DSP or Softube seem dated and clunky. A good enough UI would be on par with the competition, where you’d barely notice a difference.

Comparing it to Helix is one thing, what do you think the next gen Helix software will look like? Will it look like something that sets the standard, or look like something that’s trying to keep up? Customers notice this sort of thing - if the software is elegant and slick, that’ll be in mind when it comes to decide which HW they’re going to buy

Last edited:
The way those are designed, the UI doesn’t hamper the experience in the way it does with Tonocracy. Helix is nearly 10 years old and it still makes the Tonocracy UI feel like some kind of early dev alpha version.

I’m not saying that Tonocracy has to look like real gear, but if it’s going to have amp style knobs on the UI, then it’s pointless unless they actually offer some sort of benefit (like being able to distinguish one piece of gear from another at a quick glance).

The “plain” view in Tonocracy doesn’t take advantage of that approach either, Helix is fast/intuitive/logical, and most importantly, looks the way it does so it has parity across a range of hardware. You don’t have to scroll past your IR’s when you are looking for a delay pedal. If they’re going to try and copy Helix’s UI, they should copy what makes it nice to use rather than just how it roughly appears on screen. All they had to do was look at the various products on the market over the last decade and understand what’s made them successful. A good UI would make Helix or Neural DSP or Softube seem dated and clunky. A good enough UI would be on par with the competition, where you’d barely notice a difference.

Comparing it to Helix is one thing, what do you think the next gen Helix software will look like? Will it look like something that sets the standard, or look like something that’s trying to keep up? Customers notice this sort of thing - if the software is elegant and slick, that’ll be in mind when it comes to decide which HW they’re going to buy
How do you have to scroll past your IRs to get to delays. I collapse my folders and it’s fine. Everything is there.

I just don’t care. Actually on second thought I prefer when it doesn’t look like an actual amp.

But yes some folks have a tendency of listening with their eyes.

Back